Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott vs Hilton (and other hotel program comparisons)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:38 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If all 250 of your hotel nights are in cities with chain properties (e.g. in the US) I would be inclined to go for Ambassador with Marriott, Globalist with Hyatt and if you’re in the US get Hilton Diamond through a credit card (making assumptions their hotels are suitable to your footprint and budget). That number of days buys you both flexibility at top-level across multiple chains as well as enough points coming in to score holidays on 2-3 chains at a time.
Kacee and JBord like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Amex Plat, National Elite
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero

Q1. What hotels are in the most cities you are traveling to? Do you use the lounge in the evening if they have one? Are you US based? Travel cities?
Good Questions:

- I am typically Category 3 hotel with Marriott. As I mentioned before reasonable expenses are paid for. I avoid the 5x hotels with Marriott even.
- I don't care for the lounge. Really. If they have one, I use one for a drink or two, otherwise, straight to my room.
- I am US based for work. And fly out of US for vacation (2-3 times a year)
-
Old Apr 12, 2019, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
If all 250 of your hotel nights are in cities with chain properties (e.g. in the US) I would be inclined to go for Ambassador with Marriott, Globalist with Hyatt and if you’re in the US get Hilton Diamond through a credit card (making assumptions their hotels are suitable to your footprint and budget). That number of days buys you both flexibility at top-level across multiple chains as well as enough points coming in to score holidays on 2-3 chains at a time.
All stays are in major cities.

Work:
I like to limit my spend to $120/night with a hotel. With my companies corporate code, I typically mange a $140 room for $115. or a $110 room for $90.

Vacation:
I am okay spending upto 400/night but that's because I go for bigger room / suite (bigger family)
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by stc
And this is a reason why EVERYONE should ALWAYS ask for a hard-copy of the bill when checking out. Do NOT rely on them to email it to you.
I am not being rude, but most mornings, (5AM or so), I am in such a hurry, that I cant be bothered to slow down for a hard copy of the bill. Heck, I even have 4PM checkout for my stays. Never used that either.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Bonvoy
First of all, assuming from your name that you're USCG, thank you for your service.

I would advise getting the bonvoy brilliant amex card and charge your hotel stays there to rake in even more points, then first aim to qualify/requalify for ambassador level every year.

Since you seem to not care about breakfast options, lounges nor do you stay at expensive hotels, I will assume that you might be fine with a holiday inn express as a backup choice as opposed to Hilton. Try getting a status match with IHG and then get points with them to use for a holiday at a Intercontinental property overseas.

I rarely rent a car so can't answer Q2
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
It seems the only benefit you care for is the points...and you use them for vacations. If your question is then where should you accumulate points, I'd suggest Marriott. With the addition of SPG, there are now quite a few more non-US properties that are worth staying at for vacation. Hilton doesn't really compare in that regard, IMO. Hyatt has some wonderful vacation properties, but the footprint is so much smaller. I rarely stay at Hyatts for work because it's just so much easier to find a convenient Marriott or Hilton.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:48 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I've merged your thread with the general "Hilton vs. Marriott" thread to give you more comparison information between the 2 programs.

Assuming locations and access to hotels is similar to you for both Hilton and Marriott hotels, my personal opinion depends on whether you tend to stay more at limited service hotels (i.e. SHS, FFI, CY, HGI, etc). If you do, then I might prefer Hilton better as HGIs are much better than CYs. And I like Hamptons better than FFIs. But if you stay at Full Service hotels (i.e. Marriott,Rens,Sheratons,Westins,Doubletrees, Hiltons,etc.) then I prefer Marriott over Hilton.

Note that while I think Marriott now has more "luxury" or aspirational hotel options for your couple of vacations a year, having to stay in CYs for 4+ months a year to get a week at that aspirational property might not be worth it. I'd rather have fewer places to choose from for vacation but stay at an HGI for that 4+month period. But that is just my preference. You might have other priorities.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by uscgto
Q2) Car: National (executive elite, Working fine) vs Hertz (Gold five star, wondering if any better)
- I like driving better cars. And sometimes National (at Elite level) does provide better cars. I feel the redeem rate is not fast enough.
I only rent cars 5-10 times a year, but when I do, I always find Hertz to be WAY more expensive than any other organization. You may want to run some comparisons on markets/type of car/length of rental you normally do to check whether that holds for your rental pattern.

Personally, I find that with most rental companies doing some sort of pre-check-in/"skip the counter" the value of being a preferred elite has been minimized. I typically price shop across multiple airline frequent flyer sites and pick whichever is the best deal and collect the airline miles. You seem to do much more rentals than I, so feel free to disregard
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I am not being rude, but most mornings, (5AM or so), I am in such a hurry, that I cant be bothered to slow down for a hard copy of the bill. Heck, I even have 4PM checkout for my stays. Never used that either.
I am not being rude, but if you care for Marriott points at all, you'd be wise to allot a minute or two to get a hard copy of the bill. Marriott appears to be incapable any longer of consistently posting points these days, or relying on an emailed bill is hit or miss. A hard copy that you can scan for a Missing Stay request will save you lots of time later on.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 10:50 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
I have had 350 Marriott nights (used to be spg) and I am a lifetime Marriott gold and currently a Marriott platinum for my 8th year, 6 years of that spg. I thought Marriott was bad and mediocre (rip spg) but then I stayed at Hiltons.

As I was comped Hilton gold thru amex I thought I’d give them a try. Stayed at Hilton Houston downtown which had an inside rooftop pool (?) and hard, overused beds, but credit their gym had a nice view. Hilton Narita was also worn and uncomfortable. Hilton Mexico City Reforma had a weird stench in the rooms and the lounge food was just frozen crap reheated. Hilton Cartagena involves my black girlfriend being treated with disrespect and mistrust by security every day and every entrance to the property during our 3 night stay, along with the fact that the giant pool was shut down for renos, with notification sent to us 2 days before and nothing on the website. Such renovations are planned months before, so I regret not asking for a refund before checkin and finding a cheaper air bnb in a better location, with a pool and in a more vibrant location.

I understand this is merely a reflection on the owner/franchisee but I just hate this brand as 4 of my stays have been annoying one way or another. It’s one thing their loyalty program sucks it’s another that properties/franchisees are allowed to skimp and chintz and disrespect golds, even though I didn’t earn it.

350 lifetime with spg and Marriott and there have been hiccups but none have been memorable as managers and reps at those properties always happy to jump in and just fix it instead of aggravating it. And honestly I cannot remember more than 3 aggravating stays that lasted in my mind out of 350 compared to 4 at Hilton.

Hilton sucks. Go with Marriott.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
So my first thread. and without much here's the fine details:

A little back ground:

- I travel for work.
- Most expenses (reasonable) covered by work.
- 22-25 nights / month in hotels.
- 7-8 flights a month
- Rental car - 8-10 days a months (Top tier with National)
- Have AMEX Platinum, besides other top tier cards from Citi and Chase so automatically gold or higher status with a lot of programs
- Marriott Titanium Elite - Could be Ambassador soon.
- Hilton Diamond

Question
Q1) Hotel Loyalty: Marriott (titanium elite) or Hilton (Diamond)
- Never cared for breakfast. I am out of the hotel before 6 AM. Points work well for me. I end up using most of my points for family vacations.

Q2) Car: National (executive elite, Working fine) vs Hertz (Gold five star, wondering if any better)
- I like driving better cars. And sometimes National (at Elite level) does provide better cars. I feel the redeem rate is not fast enough.
- If you travel for work staying in Cat 3 hotels in USA then I do not see much difference between Marriott and Hilton. I was with SPG before the acquisition and always thought that Marriott is like Hilton but perhaps with better earning potential.
I am both Hilton Diamond and Marriott Titanium (lifetime) and for me the only differentiator is where I burn points for vacation. Let's say you like Kauai - they have only one Garden in O.K. but not great location but many Bonvoy properties. Also, 4 pm checkout @ Bonvoy works great when on vacation. But may be you like Grand Wailea Maui and Wailea Beach Resort - Marriott, Maui would not cut it. Then you need a lot of HHonors points for Grand Wailea (and HHonors would wave resort fees when staying on award).
For some time I was maintaining HHonors Diamond status because of kids: HHonors would let your two kids up to 18 year old to stay in the same room for free whereas many SPG properties set the limit as 12 years. I am not sure about Bonvoy policies because my kids grew up.
I have tried Hertz from time to time but I am mainly with National - cleaner and newer cars in general. Hertz earning rate also sucks. Safe travel.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Ambassador and LT Titanium at Marriott, Diamond at Hilton. At mid level properties not much difference if breakfast and/ concierge lounge isn’t your thing. I stay based on property location convenience. Hopefully business earning stays balance vacation points spend. If not, then see which is less painful/ more practical... less convenient business location versus less desirable (or paid) vacation stays.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:39 pm

Hilton (Diamond) works better for me mostly because of the hotel options where work takes me.

National works better for me because I get good value out of the Executive Area car choices.

As many others have said, your specific situation matters, as do your personal preferences.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:11 pm

What is the best for hotel points

What is the best hotel points? I have Marriott Bonovy at Silver elite getting very close to gold.

What is the best hotel rewards program Marriott or Hilton? What do you recommend? I've been looking at Hilton because you can pick and choose your room.

Pros and cons?? Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nick from Raleigh Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Nickfromraleigh
What is the best hotel points? I have Marriott Bonovy at Silver elite getting very close to gold.

What is the best hotel rewards program Marriott or Hilton? What do you recommend? I've been looking at Hilton because you can pick and choose your room.

Pros and cons?? Thanks for your help!
The best hotels are the ones in places you need/want to visit, at a price in your budget and with the facilities you want/like. They may be different brands is different places
For you what is the objective of a hotel loyalty program?
And benefits of status?

Marriott vs Hilton programs is a common topic

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 11, 2021 at 2:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.