Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotels without Platinum "amenity" - legal or not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotels without Platinum "amenity" - legal or not?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
What is this nonsense of asking for $100 if some FDC doesn't offer you an amenity? Surely this isn't a serious post.

Marriott may be doing a crap job with the integration, but I hope they fire any customer that pulls this ****.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: tk gold, lh ftl, ab gold
Originally Posted by cre95
Do you ask them if they are agree to you recording their conversation at check-in or do you just go ahead and record without their permission?
Excuse me, but i once was denied the guarantee because i wasn't able to prove that the FD hasn't offered me the correct choice. Of course, now i am recording without permission. Do i need permission to turn on the recorder on my smartphone? 99% this will not be needed, but...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
No offense taken. I agree with you.

Why not? How about the golden rule of treating others as you would wish to be treated. I checked into a Sheraton in South America a few days ago with a good lounge. The FD told me at check-in, "you want points, right?"

Should I have recorded that? Should I have asked for the $100? If I wanted breakfast or was interested in the amenity, I'm an adult, plats are familiar with the program, and I can ask. No need to play "gotcha" and get him in trouble,

Plus, while I was there, they sent a bottle of wine and a cheese plate anyway.
Up to you to decide. But saying "you want points, right?" is a violation of Marriott T&C. Every hotel has a special paper form listing the choices. Failure to follow this simple procedure is definitely grounds for penalty.

Last edited by igor82j; Jan 10, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
What is this nonsense of asking for $100 if some FDC doesn't offer you an amenity? Surely this isn't a serious post.

Marriott may be doing a crap job with the integration, but I hope they fire any customer that pulls this ****.
That's the official policy. Do you want to say that any official policy is crap? Nonsense or not, the T&C are to be complied with. You personal judgement has nothing to do with the original question.
Anyway, this is way off-topic.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swag
I think the whole point of guarantees that far exceed the cost of the amenity is to give incentive to the hotels to comply. So I don't try to punish a poor tired clerk who just forgets one time, but when a hotel like the OP's, says "This particular hotel at first insisted they didn't offer amenities at all. ", that's exactly the time to insist on the cash.
A "poor desk clerk" whose only job is to memorize the rules of the program is ignoring them. Be it on purpose, or he/she just doesn't care. Why not to punish a worker who doesn't his/her job properly? Careless hospitality...
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by igor82j
That's the official policy. Do you want to say that any official policy is crap? Nonsense or not, the T&C are to be complied with. You personal judgement has nothing to do with the original question.
Anyway, this is way off-topic.
Seems pretty on-topic. There's no judgement here, it just appears you are taking the literal words of the policy (paraphrasing - all options must be offered) to game the system. I can't imagine any "court of law" agreeing to award you $100 for each time a FDC didn't read the exact script you are expecting.

Again, I hope Marriott fires any customer that would harass employees or corporate over this more than once.
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I've never had Sheraton, Westin, or W, mention this mysterious amenity at check-in; they usually just confirm that I'm set up to receive points. I suppose at that point since they'd recognized my status for compliance purposes, I might, if they're not too busy, follow up with: "I noticed that the rules themselves say that we are entitled to a choice of breakfast, points, or a 'local amenity'." What would be the amenity choice for your property?"
Well, you're wrong. The fact that hotels don't mention the "mysterious amenity" doesn't mean it's the right approach.
And following up, you are 1) choosing amenity over 100$ which is probably not very smart, 2) supporting the hotel in not complying with the T&C.

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Excuse me, but i once was denied the guarantee because i wasn't able to prove that the FD hasn't offered me the correct choice. Of course, now i am recording without permission. Do i need permission to turn on the recorder on my smartphone? 99% this will not be needed, but...
In many jurisdictions, the answer is yes, you do need to ask permission. I'll throw out California, Canada, Germany as examples.

Up to you to decide. But saying "you want points, right?" is a violation of Marriott T&C.
I disagree. They have to offer me a choice. I've never had them refuse to offer me a choice. I had over 100 different stays last year at Marriott properties. I know my options and don't have any need to argue with the FD over any failure to use magic words.

And, of course, failing to use the magic words on the amenity issue is different than a room type, one class upgrade where its something more than de minimus.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Seems pretty on-topic. There's no judgement here, it just appears you are taking the literal words of the policy (paraphrasing - all options must be offered) to game the system. I can't imagine any "court of law" agreeing to award you $100 for each time a FDC didn't read the exact script you are expecting.

Again, I hope Marriott fires any customer that would harass employees or corporate over this more than once.
So how shall the words of the policy be taken? It's pretty straightforward. The choices have to be offered; and they have to be offered at check-in (not even 1 minute later). That has been confirmed by Marriott many times, and that has been confirmed by the hotel managers. How come is it "gaming the system" or "harassing"? Most of the times, the managers thank me for educating them on the rule they hadn't known about (why they don't even bother to read through the T&C is beyond me, but...)
Anything that is not in compliance with the T&C, or any other rules (no suite upgrade, for example), has to be compensated. In this particular case, the compensation amount is fixed. In other cases, the amount may be decided by Marriott support team.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In many jurisdictions, the answer is yes, you do need to ask permission. I'll throw out California, Canada, Germany as examples.

I disagree. They have to offer me a choice. I've never had them refuse to offer me a choice. I had over 100 different stays last year at Marriott properties. I know my options and don't have any need to argue with the FD over any failure to use magic words.

And, of course, failing to use the magic words on the amenity issue is different than a room type, one class upgrade where its something more than de minimus.
It's not magic words. It's the standard procedure: a paper form listing the Plat gift choices.
Once again, it's not about refusing to give you a choice after you have asked for it. According to the T&C, they have to provide you the choice proactively, and attach the paper form with your choice to your invoice. That's what normal hotels do. It's your decision whether to take it seriously or not, of course.
Anyway, i was trying to understand the nuances of the rules, not the ethical considerations.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Igor, Igor, Igor.

I believe that there is such as thing as karma, and myself have only invoked the Platinum guarantee for the missed Welcome Gift only twice in 1,500 stays with the program. Twice.

Marriott Mexico City and Sheraton WTC Sao Paulo, and for me both are mediocre properties where things did not go well from the get go.

Of course you may claim the compensation for the missed Welcome Gift each and every time, but it will catch up with you. And recording conversations unknowingly is illegal in many jurisdictions.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
It's not magic words. It's the standard procedure: a paper form listing the Plat gift choices.
While I agree, that is nice to have at check-in as it avoid the errors, it is not required.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can't recall getting the form listing the choices, although I have received papers at check in that list Plat benefits at the property, often including information regarding F&B hours in the lounge and sometimes various policies such as rules for children/guests in the lounge.

The description of the form here reminds me of Hyatt in the HGP days when Diamonds were asked to pick one item from each column (food and beverage) for a welcome amenity to be delivered to the room at the chosen time. Those were the days......
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:42 pm

So how shall the words of the policy be taken? It's pretty straightforward. The choices have to be offered; and they have to be offered at check-in (not even 1 minute later). That has been confirmed by Marriott many times, and that has been confirmed by the hotel managers. How come is it "gaming the system" or "harassing"? Most of the times, the managers thank me for educating them on the rule they hadn't known about (why they don't even bother to read through the T&C is beyond me, but...)
Anything that is not in compliance with the T&C, or any other rules (no suite upgrade, for example), has to be compensated. In this particular case, the compensation amount is fixed. In other cases, the amount may be decided by Marriott support team.
Please record for all of us a manager thanking you for educating them on the rule. Please.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I can't recall getting the form listing the choices, although I have received papers at check in that list Plat benefits at the property, often including information regarding F&B hours in the lounge and sometimes various policies such as rules for children/guests in the lounge.

The description of the form here reminds me of Hyatt in the HGP days when Diamonds were asked to pick one item from each column (food and beverage) for a welcome amenity to be delivered to the room at the chosen time. Those were the days......
I sometimes get that at legacy Marriott properties. Its a little card with a check. Some places use that column ... do you want pepsi/beer, cheese/sweet, etc.

Once again, it's not about refusing to give you a choice after you have asked for it. According to the T&C, they have to provide you the choice proactively, and attach the paper form with your choice to your invoice. That's what normal hotels do. It's your decision whether to take it seriously or not, of course.
Anyway, i was trying to understand the nuances of the rules, not the ethical considerations.
There is no requirement to use a form in the T&C. There is no requirement to use any magic words.

If you take the language literally ... does it have to be offered at the time I arrive at the property before they even know who I am? Or is there some reason applied? It doesn't say they have to offer it proactively either, right? It just says they have to offer it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.