Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Downgraded From Club Level Room At Ritz Carlton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded From Club Level Room At Ritz Carlton

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:00 am

As for the club access vs club lounge - definitely noticed this subtle change . Also have noticed a big push at RC properties to upsell club access and upgrades at check in
Had a recent upsell experience in DC -the check in agent pulled out a chart that had a grid showing upsell amounts to Club and suites based on category booked .
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:10 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This was certainly true before SPG started offering breakfast to Plats. There's also the special amenity attached to FHR bookings, but OTOH FHR rates are closer to rack and the upgrade benefit officially is one category. (The propety can voluntarily do more, and I've even gotten some nice suites, but officially if one category up is sold out but there are lots of rooms available in the next category, the property isn't obligated to give you the two category upgrade.)
I’m not sure what the reference to SPG means here? Marriott does not offer free breakfast to its elites at Ritz Carlton hotels, as a result the benefits provided to people booking via channels including FHR and Virutoso remain significantly more generous than for people booking on Marriott.com. When you add the guarantee of customer service with a third party, the more reliable upgrade and often $100 spending money then it makes sense to book indirect even when the rate is quite a bit higher.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
As for the club access vs club lounge - definitely noticed this subtle change . Also have noticed a big push at RC properties to upsell club access and upgrades at check in
Had a recent upsell experience in DC -the check in agent pulled out a chart that had a grid showing upsell amounts to Club and suites based on category booked .
We can only hope that there are capacity controls on this. Most RC clubs lounges aren't large enough to function if every room in the hotel were to be a club access room.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

I’m not sure what the reference to SPG means here? Marriott does not offer free breakfast to its elites at Ritz Carlton hotels, as a result the benefits provided to people booking via channels including FHR and Virutoso remain significantly more generous than for people booking on Marriott.com. When you add the guarantee of customer service with a third party, the more reliable upgrade and often $100 spending money then it makes sense to book indirect even when the rate is quite a bit higher.
I was responding to a post, which I quoted, about hotels giving better treatment to FHR guests than to those who booked directly, including elites. Before SPG started offering Plat breakfast, they gave free breakfast on FHR bookings but not to guests who made reservations through Plat Concierge, for instance (unless of course a rate including breakfast had been selected and paid). FHR also gave a substantial property amenity, while both had the guaranteed 4 pm checkout, although this was excluded for SPG Plats at resorts and conference centers who didn't book through FHR. Yes, there were differences in upgrade entitlements, but otherwise FHR would seem to win over SPG Plat benefits in every column.

BTW, for Virtuoso bookings, late checkout is "if available" and not guaranteed as it is through FHR, although some individual properties might be willing to guarantee it in advance at certain times for bookings made by certain Virtuoso agents.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
To be honest I still don't understand the point - but could well just be me! You were responding to a poster who said he'd be pretty mad if Marriott treated FHR guests better than their own elites, and surely the answer is "This is exactly what they do". If you are a Marriott elite you will not get free breakfast with a Ritz Carlton unless you book via a channel like FHR, whereas if you use FHR you will get the free breakfast (and more) no matter whether you've ever stayed in a Marriott hotel or not.

Historical SPG benefits are sort of beside the point.
Kacee, rny321 and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:14 am

We can only hope that there are capacity controls on this. Most RC clubs lounges aren't large enough to function if every room in the hotel were to be a club access room.
It was absolutely jammed and very loud. Service was good but it was mobbed.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
When you add the guarantee of customer service with a third party
Yeah, not only do you get a guaranteed breakfast, but the properties are actually concerned about negative feedback to AMEX vs. complaints to Marriott which just disappear into the void. I've also noticed that since many RCs don't discount their rates much, the FHR rates are often competitive with direct channel bookings.
EuropeanPete and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah, not only do you get a guaranteed breakfast, but the properties are actually concerned about negative feedback to AMEX vs. complaints to Marriott which just disappear into the void. I've also noticed that since many RCs don't discount their rates much, the FHR rates are often competitive with direct channel bookings.
Don't forget that since you're booking with a travel agent, you still receive points and stay credit/benefits. So booking through FHR when available is better in virtually every way. I think the one exception is upgrades, as stated elsewhere.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Don't forget that since you're booking with a travel agent, you still receive points and stay credit/benefits. So booking through FHR when available is better in virtually every way. I think the one exception is upgrades, as stated elsewhere.
I don’t think upgrades are an exception. You get a near guaranteed one category upgrade with FHR and you’ll get a further upgrade as a Marriott elite if you were going to get one anyways.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I'm willing to guess that many Ritz-Carlton properties in markets where the competition is a St. Regis or Luxury Collection property have noticed a decline in bookings because guests who value elite status are probably taking their business to Marriott's luxury brands that recognize and reward their loyalty. As a result, Ritz-Carlton is resorting to up-selling, hoping guests who don't know better will pay the $100 or $150 for daily club lounge access.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:34 am

It was absolutely jammed and very loud. Service was good but it was mobbed.
Then it sounds like they're just running an all inclusive resort with a fancy name. Avoid.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I would be pretty mad if Ritz-Carlton was giving better perks to guests booking through American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts.
You shouldn't be the least bit mad. AMEX has built a relationship with the chains/properties and negotiated a good deal for its customers and enforces the same (AAA has done the same). Marriott has not done that for some time and is not doing that with MPG, I believe their thought is you're getting the privilege of staying at a Marriott property, enjoy that.. It's getting better to go outside the program and have someone backing you up than to fight with today's CSRs that mostly claim it's up to the property and they won't help out.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I'm willing to guess that many Ritz-Carlton properties in markets where the competition is a St. Regis or Luxury Collection property have noticed a decline in bookings because guests who value elite status are probably taking their business to Marriott's luxury brands that recognize and reward their loyalty. As a result, Ritz-Carlton is resorting to up-selling, hoping guests who don't know better will pay the $100 or $150 for daily club lounge access.
Could very well be but there is no lounge access for elites at Luxury Collection or St. Regis either .
Old Jan 10, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Could very well be but there is no lounge access for elites at Luxury Collection or St. Regis either .
Inconsequential, since they rarely have lounges. Instead, you get a full restaurant breakfast.
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Inconsequential, since they rarely have lounges. Instead, you get a full restaurant breakfast.
This ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.