Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Downgraded From Club Level Room At Ritz Carlton

Downgraded From Club Level Room At Ritz Carlton

Old Jan 9, 19, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by OUTraveling View Post
I did not think of that and just called the number listed on my email.
It's one of the many benefits of booking with FHR. They're great and the hotels value the FHR program more than you'd expect. This results in them having a lot of leverage. Good luck!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Here AmEx PTS/CTS is functioning as your full service travel agent, in fact one focused on luxury type travel, although you might need to escalate to a supervisor for problem resolution. These folks are good at standing behind what they booked/sold and seem to know how to do it. Properties want to continue to particulate in FHR, so they're unlikely to ignore valid complaints.
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PALT
Just heard back from the Ritz Carlton at Rancho Mirage:

My rate will be the original that I booked and the AMEX FHR benefit will still apply. In addition, they are adding 10K points to my account for the hassle that I had to go through. All in all, I think this was a good response to a bad IT situation.
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium

My rate will be the original that I booked and the AMEX FHR benefit will still apply. In addition, they are adding 10K points to my account for the hassle that I had to go through. All in all, I think this was a good response to a bad IT situation.
Glad to see it worked out for you.
Old Jan 9, 19, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hopefully this or other problems will not repeat in the future, but the starting point is always your TA (whether it is formally an agent or not) and not, in this case the RC Rancho Mirage.
TerryK, wrp96 and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 7:18 pm

Glad to hear it!
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
As usual, FHR gives a one category upgrade at check in if available as well as daily continental breakfast and a guaranteed 4 pm checkout plus whatever special amenity the property offers. PTS/CTS phone agents should be able to tell you whether the one category upgrade at the property includes upgrades to club level rooms, but when I've booked FHR rates at RCs, the answer to this has been no.
I would be pretty mad if Ritz-Carlton was giving better perks to guests booking through American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jan 9, 19 at 8:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

I would not let them get away with blaming IT. Yes, Marriott's IT has sucked but it is way too easy to use this excuse these days. It's quite possible they were playing games.
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I would not let them get away with blaming IT. Yes, Marriott's IT has sucked but it is way too easy to use this excuse these days. It's quite possible they were playing games.
FHR has been having issues as well, so who knows which side it was on.
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
I would be pretty made if Ritz-Carlton was giving better perks to guests booking through American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts.
This was certainly true before SPG started offering breakfast to Plats. There's also the special amenity attached to FHR bookings, but OTOH FHR rates are closer to rack and the upgrade benefit officially is one category. (The propety can voluntarily do more, and I've even gotten some nice suites, but officially if one category up is sold out but there are lots of rooms available in the next category, the property isn't obligated to give you the two category upgrade.)
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Dupe......
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
So far the RC representative has confirmed I am staying in a Club level room again, but has not stated if it was due to their gracious +$75 upgrade charge I was billed nor if my upgrade will negate the AMEX FHR benefits. I will flat out dispute the $75 additional charge in addition to a $100 resort credit if I do not get my benefits. Honestly, this entire thing is frustrating.as I have spent about an hour and half to get to where I am.

One thing I will mention is that RC has quietly changed the room desc from Club Level to Club Lounge Access. Those are two different things. I have seen this both on Marriott.com and FHR. Basically, this means they can put you in any room on any floor-that meets the bed/room requirements and give you a key that will get you in the lounge. If you look at your reservation, it says Club Access-NOT club level. I don't disagree that its misleading-but that's what's going on here.
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:28 pm

Some RCs have always done this, although they referred to the rooms as club or club floor rooms and often advertised that club floors were restricted to key card access.
Mr. Vker likes this.
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:30 pm

Some RCs have always done this, although they referred to the rooms as club or club floor rooms and often advertised that club floors were restricted to key card access.

Tysons used to say Club Level now says Club Access. Irritates me. OP says Club Access. I understand his frustration, but its not a downgrade per the reservation as far as I can tell. Unless I am missing something.
Old Jan 9, 19, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
One thing I will mention is that RC has quietly changed the room desc from Club Level to Club Lounge Access. Those are two different things.
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker View Post
Tysons used to say Club Level now says Club Access.
Club lounge monetization. I still think the vast majority of North America Ritz-Carlton club lounges are not worth paying for, especially if you're on business and can expense meals or drinks.

Search this Thread