Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China - 2019 onward

Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
This thread is the place to discuss/compare the various Marriott, Starwood, and RC hotels in the Shanghai, China area.

There are 2 pre-2019 threads with historical information:

2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai
(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for Shanghai. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
The St. Regis Shanghai Jingan
Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong
The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai
The Hongta Hotel Shanghai
Twelve at Hengshan, Shanghai, Luxury Collection
Bulgari Hotel Shanghai

Full Service:
W Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park
W Shanghai - The Bund
W Suzhou
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park
The Shanghai EDITION
Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Zhongshan Park Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Caohejing Hotel
Renaissance Suzhou Hotel
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Kangqiao
Marriott Shanghai City Centre
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside
Shanghai Marriott Pudong East
Westin Bund Centre Shanghai
Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai
Le Meridien Shanghai, Minhang
Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences
Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao
Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Sheraton Marriott Hotel Parkview
Sheraton Shanghai Jiading Hotel
Sheraton Shanghai Chongming Hotel
Sheraton Shanghai
Delta Hotels Shanghai Baoshan
The Waterhouse at South Bund, Shanghai. Design Hotel
The Yuluxe Sheshan, Shanghai, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel

Limited Service:
Courtyard Shanghai Central
Courtyard Shanghai Changfeng Park
Courtyard Shanghai Hongqiao
Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong
Courtyard Shanghai Xujiahui
Courtyard Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone
Courtyard Shanghai Minhang
Courtyard Shanghai Jiading
Courtyard Shanghai Songjiang
Courtyard Shanghai Fengxian
Courtyard Kunshan
Courtyard Suzhou
Fairfield by Marriott Shanghai Jingan
Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Daning
Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong
Four Points by Sheraton Taicang
Four Points by Sheraton Suzhou
Aloft Shanghai Zhangjiang Haike
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China - 2019 onward

Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Stay at the 12 on Hengshan. It's better than all those hotels you've mentioned and in a nicer area for tourists for just walking about and taking in the city. It's also right on top of line 1 so you can get around the city easily as well. Andaz and Sukhothai will be like staying in a shopping mall and Hyatt on the Bund is in the middle of nowhere. 12 on Hengshan is better than any of those Bonvoy properties as well.
Upthread, several people mentioned that the property itself is getting tired. I can't comment on this point because I've actually never been inside. But, now that I live in the neighborhood, I will proclaim that it's the best area I've lived in in Shanghai to date (over 20 years). Yanping Lu (in Jing'an) is arguably cooler, but the lack of convenient subway access is a big strike against it.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:08 am

If you want to do the touristy things, hotels along the Bund and around People's Square are the most convenient. BTW, people that fill the Square, E Nanjing pedestrian road and along the Bund are mostly domestic tourists, not real locals. However, if you want to stay in quiet and nice residential areas, then something like IC Ruijin, 12 Hengshan, or even Radisson Blu Xing Guo makes more sense.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by tth6133
If you want to do the touristy things, hotels along the Bund and around People's Square are the most convenient. BTW, people that fill the Square, E Nanjing pedestrian road and along the Bund are mostly domestic tourists, not real locals. However, if you want to stay in quiet and nice residential areas, then something like IC Ruijin, 12 Hengshan, or even Radisson Blu Xing Guo makes more sense.
I like your post, and agree with your points, but allow me to add a few comments:
1. Lujiazui is extremely modern, and domestic tourists treasure it
-if you don't care about Shanghai history, perhaps it's a good option
2. People's Square provides only a little more feel for the true Shanghai (because it is west of the river), but is still sub optimal IMO (i.e. it is very hectic)
-as a foreign male, I dislike the prostitution solicitations that are a part of the Nanjing E Road experience; I am well enough worn enough to ignore this stuff completely, but some newcomers are a bit put off
-do not let this affect your hotel choice; it's no big deal in the grand scheme
3. If you are not here on business, Jing'an and Xuhui provide a better experience in my opinion, but location is subjective
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
I don't completely agree that "real locals" don't go to Nanjing Road. Yes, it's busy and hectic, and all Chinese tourists want to visit Nanjing Rd, but plenty of locals go there too. In fact, most of the people at People's Square are locals (apparently the Marriage Market is there).

It's probably best to figure out what you want to see and do and pick a hotel convenient to the things you want to do. Try to pick a hotel that's new or recently renovated, as hotels in China vary significantly in quality and the best predictor is how old they are.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by SP03
I don't completely agree that "real locals" don't go to Nanjing Road. Yes, it's busy and hectic, and all Chinese tourists want to visit Nanjing Rd, but plenty of locals go there too. In fact, most of the people at People's Square are locals (apparently the Marriage Market is there).

It's probably best to figure out what you want to see and do and pick a hotel convenient to the things you want to do. Try to pick a hotel that's new or recently renovated, as hotels in China vary significantly in quality and the best predictor is how old they are.
Nanjing West Road is nice, but if you happen to have a white face, Nanjing East Road is not good.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:58 am

In fact, most of the people at People's Square are locals (apparently the Marriage Market is there).
Not really. Most of the people who flood E Nanjing Road are domestic tourists or recent transplants, not too many true locals. Same with Lujiazui area. Marriage markets exist in many public parks in Shanghai, not unique to People's Square park.

Try to pick a hotel that's new or recently renovated, as hotels in China vary significantly in quality and the best predictor is how old they are.
Most hotels there are fairly new by Western standards. Yes, many domestic travelers seem to care whether a hotel is 1-year old or one that's, say, 4-year old. To me, it doesn't make much of a difference.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Most hotels there are fairly new by Western standards. Yes, many domestic travelers seem to care whether a hotel is 1-year old or one that's, say, 4-year old. To me, it doesn't make much of a difference.
Maintenance isn't that great in China, so even a 4 year old hotel is going to be have a lot of quality/maintenance issues.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Nanjing West Road is nice, but if you happen to have a white face, Nanjing East Road is not good.
Nanjing West Road is nice if you like looking at Cartier, Hermes, Rolex, LV, etc storefronts. NJ East is a dump. 12 at Hengshan isn't tired at all it's quiet but in a great area. Staying in People's Square is not my idea of fun but I know some people like the madness.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Nanjing West Road is nice if you like looking at Cartier, Hermes, Rolex, LV, etc storefronts. NJ East is a dump. 12 at Hengshan isn't tired at all it's quiet but in a great area. Staying in People's Square is not my idea of fun but I know some people like the madness.
1. You will never find me completely poo pooing the Portman, JA Shangri-La, or the Puli because the area is still pretty damn nice
2. When I first came to Shanghai 24 years ago, Hengshan Road was awash with drug dealers and bar fights...not bad for hanging out, but you certainly wouldn't want to stay there
3. These days, it is pretty civil
4. If you fancy staying in the area, 12 Hengshan is honestly the only hotel option that comes to mind; unlike other parts of town, there are not budget hotel options
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
If your choices were Le Royal Meridien or Westin Bund Centre, what would people choose?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If your choices were Le Royal Meridien or Westin Bund Centre, what would people choose?
LRM.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:30 pm

Thanks for the advice here. Spent 3 nights in LRM where we were upgraded to Deluxe Residence which was a 1.5 bath suite with a bar and entertaining area.
Stayed 1 night at Renaissance Yu Garden which was nicely located for tourist-y shopping and generally walking around. Upgrade to a studio which is a bigger room with a tub that looks out the window which is certainly cool but I didn't use it.

I am titanium.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Thanks for the advice here. Spent 3 nights in LRM where we were upgraded to Deluxe Residence which was a 1.5 bath suite with a bar and entertaining area.
Stayed 1 night at Renaissance Yu Garden which was nicely located for tourist-y shopping and generally walking around. Upgrade to a studio which is a bigger room with a tub that looks out the window which is certainly cool but I didn't use it.

I am titanium.
Did you get a chance to try out their room service robot?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Did you get a chance to try out their room service robot?
I did not unfortunately but we did see it in the lobby.

Something I should mention: the Renaissance Yu Garden's lounge food really sucked for happy hour or whatever they call it. Food was soggy, flavorless, and cold. We left before breakfast unfortunately which looked like I could get it in the big restaurant but we had to leave too early.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I did not unfortunately but we did see it in the lobby.

Something I should mention: the Renaissance Yu Garden's lounge food really sucked for happy hour or whatever they call it. Food was soggy, flavorless, and cold. We left before breakfast unfortunately which looked like I could get it in the big restaurant but we had to leave too early.
I agree with you on this point, but breakfast was acceptable. There actually aren't a lot of good food options in the immediate area, but I do like Tock's (Montreal deli that is almost directly across the street from the Westin), and if you're going to venture inside Yuyuan, you might as well get some overpriced xiaolongbao there one time (Dintaifeng is much better, and the hole in the wall places are a much better value, but Yuyuan is the most famous).

Please do try out the robot during your next visit, even if you don't need an extra towel. There are very few gadgets that I put in the "very cool" category, but their robot is on the list.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.