Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China - 2019 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
This thread is the place to discuss/compare the various Marriott, Starwood, and RC hotels in the Shanghai, China area.

There are 2 pre-2019 threads with historical information:

2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai
(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for Shanghai. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
The St. Regis Shanghai Jingan
Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong
The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai
The Hongta Hotel Shanghai
Twelve at Hengshan, Shanghai, Luxury Collection
Bulgari Hotel Shanghai

Full Service:
W Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park
W Shanghai - The Bund
W Suzhou
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park
The Shanghai EDITION
Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Zhongshan Park Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Caohejing Hotel
Renaissance Suzhou Hotel
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Kangqiao
Marriott Shanghai City Centre
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside
Shanghai Marriott Pudong East
Westin Bund Centre Shanghai
Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai
Le Meridien Shanghai, Minhang
Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences
Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao
Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Sheraton Marriott Hotel Parkview
Sheraton Shanghai Jiading Hotel
Sheraton Shanghai Chongming Hotel
Sheraton Shanghai
Delta Hotels Shanghai Baoshan
The Waterhouse at South Bund, Shanghai. Design Hotel
The Yuluxe Sheshan, Shanghai, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel

Limited Service:
Courtyard Shanghai Central
Courtyard Shanghai Changfeng Park
Courtyard Shanghai Hongqiao
Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong
Courtyard Shanghai Xujiahui
Courtyard Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone
Courtyard Shanghai Minhang
Courtyard Shanghai Jiading
Courtyard Shanghai Songjiang
Courtyard Shanghai Fengxian
Courtyard Kunshan
Courtyard Suzhou
Fairfield by Marriott Shanghai Jingan
Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Daning
Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong
Four Points by Sheraton Taicang
Four Points by Sheraton Suzhou
Aloft Shanghai Zhangjiang Haike
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China - 2019 onward

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
W, Edition or RC?

We (2 pax) are staying for one night in Shanghai around end of March before heading over to Singapore.

Willing to spend up to 60K points on the 1 night hotel stay. Platinum Premier.. I mean Titanium status. Don’t need breakfast as we will need to get to PVG around 5530- 6AM for the 8AM SG flight. Lounge access would be nice but not required as we don’t drink much.

What we care about: room size (suite preferred) and relatively modern design, such as marble washroom, Japanese Toto toilet, a gorgeous view. I assume it’s relatively easy to get a taxi to get us to PVG in the morning around 5AM regardless of which hotel we pick.

Location doesnt matter much as opposed to the view. A view of the bund would be nice - either of Pudong or Puxi.

Any recommendation? Looking at Edition, W and RC Pudong. Though the room decor at RC Pudong leaves much to be desired. I hear W can be very noisy. EDITION however ranks lower than the W per tripadvisor travellers ranking, and I’m not sure if they will upgrade us, since they don’t have to. Rooms at W appear to be bigger and the view better?

Anyone got email of GM if either Edition or W?

Thanks!
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by ftrichard
Any love here for the Sheraton Hongkou? Not bothered about the location but the hotel itself and Platinum treatment. I have stayed at the Ren, LeM and Hongta before for comparison so just spreading myself around the hotels that offer rates ~RMB800-1000.
In Shanghai I've stayed with LeRM, Westin, Sheraton HK, Hongta, 12@HS, StR, LeM MH and JW TmrSq. IMO the room of Sheraton HK (two years ago) was well maintained, and treat me well (was SPG Pt100 and Pt75 when I stayed there three and two years ago). Design-wise, very Sheraton. You can expect a room bigger than that in LeRM, with similar maintenance level. But of course the design of LeRM is more modern than Sheraton

Location-wise, actually it's also quite close to metro, but definitely not as convenient as LeRM
ftrichard likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
I'd suggest Westin - 100% for suite upgrades, great lounge, good views, and modern rooms/design.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:53 pm

@theOtherHolmes

I'm based in Taiwan and my go to hotel whenever I visit Shanghai is the Edition. IMO the hard product is significantly better than the W and the overall design/aesthetic of the Edition is just more immersed as suppose to the W. The edition also has the wealthy hip crowd that frequent the restaurants and club, while the W generally has the China Rich crowd. If you have Platinum I don't think a suite upgrade is guaranteed but still quite possible, I know a lot of guests pay for the suites so availability at check-in may be an issue. I generally just stay in the Loft rooms with bund view and you can see Pudong easily from there. I would recommend EDITION every time over the W or RC, but I'm also 24 and a sucker for EDITION's hard product.
Alawyer likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by inkobewetrust
@theOtherHolmes

I'm based in Taiwan and my go to hotel whenever I visit Shanghai is the Edition. IMO the hard product is significantly better than the W and the overall design/aesthetic of the Edition is just more immersed as suppose to the W. The edition also has the wealthy hip crowd that frequent the restaurants and club, while the W generally has the China Rich crowd. If you have Platinum I don't think a suite upgrade is guaranteed but still quite possible, I know a lot of guests pay for the suites so availability at check-in may be an issue. I generally just stay in the Loft rooms with bund view and you can see Pudong easily from there. I would recommend EDITION every time over the W or RC, but I'm also 24 and a sucker for EDITION's hard product.

Thanks. Edition it is!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
What’s the difference between wealthy hip and China Rich?
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:16 pm

Recommendations for a couple on their first trip to China in March? We have 4 to 6 nights and I was planning on using SNAs if possible. I'm platinum and will be paying cash. Currently have a reservation at RM for ~$200 pn. We like to walk and transit via metro so it seems RM is a good option for eating and sight seeing. Would using SNAs there be wasteful? We're also doing 3 weeks in Italy in a few months so I may hold onto them for Rome or elsewhere. Is there somewhere we'll receive a nice suite upgrade that has the above attributes at similar cost?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I would not use suite night for Royal meridien (was that your RM?) I like property and stay all the time but room sizes small, even the larger suites. Plat upgrade is usually to tiny junior suite

Hard product at STR nice and JW Tomorrow Square nice too.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:45 pm

We stayed at Renaissance Yuan Garden and liked it very much
Nice lounge for breakfast but really loved the lounge at night with a fabulous view of the river and ‘light show’ on the hotels at night, lounge attendants charming and helpful
Was upgraded to suite first time we stayed not the next year but room was very nice
So enjoyed the top floor indoor pool where you swim next to the windows
Area was fine for us, in process of rebuilding former more traditional old neighborhood
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
We stayed at Renaissance Yuan Garden and liked it very much
Nice lounge for breakfast but really loved the lounge at night with a fabulous view of the river and ‘light show’ on the hotels at night, lounge attendants charming and helpful
Was upgraded to suite first time we stayed not the next year but room was very nice
So enjoyed the top floor indoor pool where you swim next to the windows
Area was fine for us, in process of rebuilding former more traditional old neighborhood
I chose the Yu Garden Ren for my mom and uncle when they visited me last year simply because it's on Line 10, and so am I. The Westin is close by, but isn't on top of the subway station. I was really impressed by the room service robot...to the extent that I placed orders for unneeded towels and water.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum for Life, Hyatt Discoverist (ex CC), Marriott Titanium, Miles& More Senator
Anyone have a contact for at Renaissance Yu Garden? I am travelling there with my mom (late 70"s) but she is arriving hours before me and want to see if there is anyway they can assist her with transfre, early check-in?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Data point for Renaissance Zhongshan as Plat Elite:
Basic room upgraded to Exec corner room.
Breakfast offered at lounge or at Azul on 26th.
Lounge happy hour 5 - 8:30pm - mediocre selections of still wine/standard booze/Budwiser (!!!).
25m pool access through separate elevators. Facilities shared with public. Super crowded in mornings.

I wouldn't stay here again unless west Shanghai location is required.
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:36 pm

So we leave China with a final night in Shanghai. We'll be arriving by rail from Huangshan at either the Shanghai Station or Shanghai Hongqiao station, we're not sure. We need somewhere to stay before leaving from PVG in the early AM (7:30AM departure). Does anyone have a recommendation for somewhere that will be easy to get to the airport? It looks like we'd want to stay on subway line 2 (green) for the simplest access to PVG. We don't need to stay physically close to the airport, just somewhere between the 2 train stations and the airport. We're spending 3 nights on the front end at the Le Royal Meridien so we're looking for something nice that isn't that property. It is just a single night and rates are relatively cheap on this Saturday (Portman is $160) so something lux is preferred. I'd make that my decision but I'm only going to be Platinum and I want to be eligible for a suite upgrade which I believe the Ritz will not offer.

Any other ideas?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
So we leave China with a final night in Shanghai. We'll be arriving by rail from Huangshan at either the Shanghai Station or Shanghai Hongqiao station, we're not sure. We need somewhere to stay before leaving from PVG in the early AM (7:30AM departure). Does anyone have a recommendation for somewhere that will be easy to get to the airport? It looks like we'd want to stay on subway line 2 (green) for the simplest access to PVG. We don't need to stay physically close to the airport, just somewhere between the 2 train stations and the airport. We're spending 3 nights on the front end at the Le Royal Meridien so we're looking for something nice that isn't that property. It is just a single night and rates are relatively cheap on this Saturday (Portman is $160) so something lux is preferred. I'd make that my decision but I'm only going to be Platinum and I want to be eligible for a suite upgrade which I believe the Ritz will not offer.

Any other ideas?
It takes about an hour by subway to/from PVG to the area of most of the hotels you will be looking at. If you want to arrive at the airport 2 hours early, the subway may not be open early enough for you. I think the subway lines open 5 to 6 am. Likely line 2 is the earliest, but you should check. Still if you left at 5 that would only be 1.5 hours early. I usually take the subway, but a few times have taken a taxi. The price of taxi is somewhere around $35 - $40 USD I think if I remember right. What time do you get in to Shanghai? If you end up taking a taxi at 4:45 or 5 in the morning, you can pick what looks best price/comfort wise for the amount of time you will be spending there. JW, Edition, Marriott City Centre, Westin...?? Maybe some other people can chime in on which you might have the best luck getting a suite upgrade..
milesforhire likes this.

Last edited by kalo93406; Mar 1, 2019 at 3:48 am
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why the subway talk? While I realise that it is cheap, the vast majority of people visiting Shanghai can afford taxis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.