Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China - 2019 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
This thread is the place to discuss/compare the various Marriott, Starwood, and RC hotels in the Shanghai, China area.

There are 2 pre-2019 threads with historical information:

2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai
(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for Shanghai. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
The St. Regis Shanghai Jingan
Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong
The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai
The Hongta Hotel Shanghai
Twelve at Hengshan, Shanghai, Luxury Collection
Bulgari Hotel Shanghai

Full Service:
W Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park
W Shanghai - The Bund
W Suzhou
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park
The Shanghai EDITION
Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Zhongshan Park Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Caohejing Hotel
Renaissance Suzhou Hotel
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Kangqiao
Marriott Shanghai City Centre
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside
Shanghai Marriott Pudong East
Westin Bund Centre Shanghai
Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai
Le Meridien Shanghai, Minhang
Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences
Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao
Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Sheraton Marriott Hotel Parkview
Sheraton Shanghai Jiading Hotel
Sheraton Shanghai Chongming Hotel
Sheraton Shanghai
Delta Hotels Shanghai Baoshan
The Waterhouse at South Bund, Shanghai. Design Hotel
The Yuluxe Sheshan, Shanghai, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel

Limited Service:
Courtyard Shanghai Central
Courtyard Shanghai Changfeng Park
Courtyard Shanghai Hongqiao
Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong
Courtyard Shanghai Xujiahui
Courtyard Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone
Courtyard Shanghai Minhang
Courtyard Shanghai Jiading
Courtyard Shanghai Songjiang
Courtyard Shanghai Fengxian
Courtyard Kunshan
Courtyard Suzhou
Fairfield by Marriott Shanghai Jingan
Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Daning
Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong
Four Points by Sheraton Taicang
Four Points by Sheraton Suzhou
Aloft Shanghai Zhangjiang Haike
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China - 2019 onward

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FlyTheFriendlyMonkey
This place seems to keep getting good reviews on here. Anyone know what the lounge and platinum breakfast are like? And also, is there some reason people undervalue the place?

It's a shame 12 Hengshan is dates. The location seems amazing.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
As is the case with all the Marriott family of hotels in China, you can have breakfast either in the Lounge or restaurant. I had it in the restaurant. The selection isn’t huge but there’s a local dish station everyday that rotates. The view is amazing both from rooms and restaurant.

I think it’s “undervalued” because it’s mostly in a local neighborhood despite the convenient transit links. However it’s at the same category as Renaissance Yu Garden and both are going up to Cat 4. So I wouldn’t say they aren’t undervalued.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AAEXP, BonvoyLTT, UAS, SW A-list
Originally Posted by JBauer
Visiting with wife and friends for 24 hours on a stop over. Looking at staying at:

Ritz Pudong
The Portman Ritz-Carlton (agreed to include full breakfast amenity)
W Hotel

we just want to walk around and shop and sight see. And eat. And easy to get from airport in taxi.

Appreacite any thoughts.
For location for walking around, I recommend the Marriott City Centre or the Royal Meridien, both in People's Square. You get the walking street of Nanjing Road AND walking to the BUND, which is a must see at night.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP
There is no direct metro access from People's Square. It is a 2-3 minute walk and very easy to get to even if pollution bad.

There is no direct mall access either with just a few stores, a Starbucks and a hospital inside the building.

Club Lounge is nice with excellent breakfast spread. I usually recommend this property for 1st time Marriott loyalists to Shanghai.

LM is actually attached to a mall (but is/was undergoing renovation so not sure status) and is a 3-5 min easy walk to metro.

The Ritz pudong is attached to a fabulous mall and metro but no breakfast
The mall is mostly complete at the Royal Meridien. There is also a mall one block away on the other side of the church. You have the entire walking street of People's Square for shopping and sight seeing, plus the BUND nearby is a big plus. The subway Line 2 goes directly to either Hongqiao Airport and Pudong Airport. It is faster to take the subway than to ever cab or DiDi to the airports. I was the RM in December and the Marriott City Centre twice in January.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
A couple comments.

1. Marriott City Centre is a great hotel and a good alternative to JW Tomorrow Square. It’s quite new. The only issue is that the location is not that central. When it first opened (before DiDi was available), I had a very hard time getting a cab.
2. Le Meridien is not great. The location is not bad, but the rooms are very dated. I don’t recall it had a Lounge. The mall next to it is not a very high end one but still pretty expensive.
3. Try to avoid Portman RC. The location is good but the rooms are 1980ish. Very dated. The service is mediocre. The hotel was actually built in the 80s I believe.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Le Meridien has a very nice lounge with a good view. I had breakfast at the main breakfast area downstairs (restaurant was under renovation at the time). The evening selection was pretty decent. Enough for a meal. The rooms are indeed small and feels a bit dated and small, but I think it’s well thought out and in good condition.

The Marriott City Center location isn’t bad. It’s only two short blocks away from Nanjing Road/People Square/Le Meridien. So it’s a two block of walking from a very big metro stop which is more walking. If you don’t mind walking, it’s another good option.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by naumank
3. Try to avoid Portman RC. The location is good but the rooms are 1980ish. Very dated. The service is mediocre. The hotel was actually built in the 80s I believe.
I believe it was completed in 1992, and was the best hotel in town until it was reflagged in 1997.

I agree that it is now dated, but I would still recommend it based on location alone (e.g JA is much nicer than People's Square) . The swimming pool is great during the summer months.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:08 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by moondog
I believe it was completed in 1992, and was the best hotel in town until it was reflagged in 1997.

I agree that it is now dated, but I would still recommend it based on location alone (e.g JA is much nicer than People's Square) . The swimming pool is great during the summer months.
Yes the location is good (depending on your needs), but if it was rebranded as a standard Marriott the rooms still wouldn't be among the better Marriotts in Asia in my opinion. Current state of the property is totally unacceptable for a Ritz-Carlton in a major city, IMO. Is very much on my avoid list.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yes the location is good (depending on your needs), but if it was rebranded as a standard Marriott the rooms still wouldn't be among the better Marriotts in Asia in my opinion. Current state of the property is totally unacceptable for a Ritz-Carlton in a major city, IMO. Is very much on my avoid list.
It was superb under Shangri-La management. RC honestly began mucking it up from day one (e.g. the spa renovation was tragic). That having been said, the location is one thing they couldn't mess with.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:45 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Most people love RC Portland's location (so many meetings there...) But I don't like it. Very difficult to get a taxi, terrible traffic, hard to get to subway, and virtually no parking.

But yes the location is in heart of old things... But with malls, shops etc.opening everywhere there are nice spots elsewhere. The hardware is terrible.

In that kind of area I prefer new St Regis. Hardware gorgeous. But because of traffic so much depends on where yoy want to go...
​​​​
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:32 am

A couple comments.

1. Marriott City Centre is a great hotel and a good alternative to JW Tomorrow Square. It’s quite new. The only issue is that the location is not that central. When it first opened (before DiDi was available), I had a very hard time getting a cab.
2. Le Meridien is not great. The location is not bad, but the rooms are very dated. I don’t recall it had a Lounge. The mall next to it is not a very high end one but still pretty expensive.
The Royal Meridien has a lounge, food and service there is quite good. The view could be nicer if they could keep the windows clean, but good luck with that in Shanghai!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond

I stayed here four nights October 2018. Didn't think the room was all that dated. Definitely not 80s and really enjoyed the warm colors and upholstery choices. I was only a Marriott Silver at the time and there were hand written notes in the room with decoration on the bed and a tray of sweets. Gave me a room on a high floor. The shower was a little small, they could have put the shower holder closer to the corner and it would have made the shower seem larger. The second or 3rd day they put a small bouquet of flowers on the table. The indoor pool and hottub were enjoyable, maybe a little dated there. The other thing is the price was very right. I'd definitely stay there again if the price is ok. My price was about $165/ night. Points as a platinum or titanium would be worth almost a free night and I also used Citi Prestige 4th night free. After that stay I decided to stay at Marriott properties more and ended up with 84 nights starting with 19 from a credit card and some carry over for some reason. I use didi much more than taxis and that works out well here. The subway is a stroll down the street, but I usually enjoyed the walk as it’s an interesting area.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Any love here for the Sheraton Hongkou? Not bothered about the location but the hotel itself and Platinum treatment. I have stayed at the Ren, LeM and Hongta before for comparison so just spreading myself around the hotels that offer rates ~RMB800-1000.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:38 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Which hotel here in Shanghai has the largest pool / nicest sauna? I remember the one in JW Marriott Tomorrow Square was huge but always crowded.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC

It was superb under Shangri-La management. RC honestly began mucking it up from day one (e.g. the spa renovation was tragic). That having been said, the location is one thing they couldn't mess with.
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Most people love RC Portland's location (so many meetings there...) But I don't like it. Very difficult to get a taxi, terrible traffic, hard to get to subway, and virtually no parking.

But yes the location is in heart of old things... But with malls, shops etc.opening everywhere there are nice spots elsewhere. The hardware is terrible.

In that kind of area I prefer new St Regis. Hardware gorgeous. But because of traffic so much depends on where yoy want to go...
Originally Posted by kalo93406
I stayed here four nights October 2018. Didn't think the room was all that dated. Definitely not 80s and really enjoyed the warm colors and upholstery choices. I was only a Marriott Silver at the time and there were hand written notes in the room with decoration on the bed and a tray of sweets. Gave me a room on a high floor. The shower was a little small, they could have put the shower holder closer to the corner and it would have made the shower seem larger. The second or 3rd day they put a small bouquet of flowers on the table. The indoor pool and hottub were enjoyable, maybe a little dated there. The other thing is the price was very right. I'd definitely stay there again if the price is ok. My price was about $165/ night. Points as a platinum or titanium would be worth almost a free night and I also used Citi Prestige 4th night free. After that stay I decided to stay at Marriott properties more and ended up with 84 nights starting with 19 from a credit card and some carry over for some reason. I use didi much more than taxis and that works out well here. The subway is a stroll down the street, but I usually enjoyed the walk as it’s an interesting area.
I did a bit research, and it looks the complex that included the hotel, Shanghai Centre, was indeed built in the late 80s. It was opened in April 1990. At the time of its opening, the hotel was called Portman Shangari-la, named after the American architect, John C. Portman Jr. It later became RC Portman (I think it was in 1998). In 1990, Portman was the best hotel in Shanghai. Now I remember meeting someone from the US who stayed at Portman before 1991. So it couldn't be 1992.

In any case, I stayed there 3-4 times in 2016 & 2017, when I couldn't get my corporate rate at JW Tomorrow Square. The room was very dated compared with other 5-star hotels in Shanghai. Of course, whether it's dated depends on one's personal taste. All I'm saying is why bother to stay at such an old hotel when there are so many other Marriott properties in Shanghai? Try reading some reviews on Tripadvisor, and you can see where I come from. Besides, we don't get lounge access as Platinum members.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:54 pm

I did a bit research, and it looks the complex that included the hotel, Shanghai Centre, was indeed built in the late 80s. It was opened in April 1990. At the time of its opening, the hotel was called Portman Shangari-la, named after the American architect, John C. Portman Jr. It later became RC Portman (I think it was in 1998). In 1990, Portman was the best hotel in Shanghai. Now I remember meeting someone from the US who stayed at Portman before 1991. So it couldn't be 1992.

In any case, I stayed there 3-4 times in 2016 & 2017, when I couldn't get my corporate rate at JW Tomorrow Square. The room was very dated compared with other 5-star hotels in Shanghai. Of course, whether it's dated depends on one's personal taste. All I'm saying is why bother to stay at such an old hotel when there are so many other Marriott properties in Shanghai? Try reading some reviews on Tripadvisor, and you can see where I come from. Besides, we don't get lounge access as Platinum members.
Apologies for getting my dates wrong. I know, for a fact, that the flag change happened in 1997 because I still have a print edition of the August 1997 Economist with a "The Lion is Coming to Shanghai" ad. To this day, I remain somewhat perplexed as to why the owner(s) decided to trade great for okay, but my guess is that getting an American management company was the driving factor (e.g. this allowed Clinton, Bush, and Obama to stay there). FYI, Portman also designed many other hotels in China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.