Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China - 2019 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: carrotjuice
This thread is the place to discuss/compare the various Marriott, Starwood, and RC hotels in the Shanghai, China area.

There are 2 pre-2019 threads with historical information:

2018 Marriott/SPG/RC properties in Shanghai
(Pre-2019) Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Shanghai, China

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for Shanghai. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
The St. Regis Shanghai Jingan
Ritz Carlton Shanghai Pudong
The Portman Ritz-Carlton, Shanghai
The Hongta Hotel Shanghai
Twelve at Hengshan, Shanghai, Luxury Collection
Bulgari Hotel Shanghai

Full Service:
W Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park
W Shanghai - The Bund
W Suzhou
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai at Tomorrow Square
JW Marriott Hotel Shanghai Changfeng Park
The Shanghai EDITION
Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Zhongshan Park Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Pudong Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Yangtze Hotel
Renaissance Shanghai Caohejing Hotel
Renaissance Suzhou Hotel
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Kangqiao
Marriott Shanghai City Centre
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Hongqiao
Shanghai Marriott Hotel Riverside
Shanghai Marriott Pudong East
Westin Bund Centre Shanghai
Le Royal Meridien Shanghai
Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai
Le Meridien Shanghai, Minhang
Sheraton Grand Shanghai Pudong Hotel & Residences
Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao
Sheraton Shanghai Hongkou Hotel
Sheraton Marriott Hotel Parkview
Sheraton Shanghai Jiading Hotel
Sheraton Shanghai Chongming Hotel
Sheraton Shanghai
Delta Hotels Shanghai Baoshan
The Waterhouse at South Bund, Shanghai. Design Hotel
The Yuluxe Sheshan, Shanghai, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel

Limited Service:
Courtyard Shanghai Central
Courtyard Shanghai Changfeng Park
Courtyard Shanghai Hongqiao
Courtyard Shanghai-Pudong
Courtyard Shanghai Xujiahui
Courtyard Shanghai International Tourism and Resorts Zone
Courtyard Shanghai Minhang
Courtyard Shanghai Jiading
Courtyard Shanghai Songjiang
Courtyard Shanghai Fengxian
Courtyard Kunshan
Courtyard Suzhou
Fairfield by Marriott Shanghai Jingan
Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Daning
Four Points by Sheraton Shanghai, Pudong
Four Points by Sheraton Taicang
Four Points by Sheraton Suzhou
Aloft Shanghai Zhangjiang Haike
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador

Visiting with wife and friends for 24 hours on a stop over. Looking at staying at:

Ritz Pudong
The Portman Ritz-Carlton (agreed to include full breakfast amenity)
W Hotel

we just want to walk around and shop and sight see. And eat. And easy to get from airport in taxi.

Appreacite any thoughts.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Hardware wise Ritz Pudong and W best by far. But Pudong while great for work doesn't really give a sense of Old Shanghai. All high rises, ultramodern shopping. RC is housed in IFC, my fav shopping mall in Shanghai but it has same brands as anywhere.

Portman in Nanjing Rd and around French concession. Easy to walk around too. Hotel is ok but location can't be beat.

W is right between - good location and hardware. For tourist, I'd go with Portman, W or JW Tomorrow Square or Marriott in Tibet Rd/ Xizang Lu.

RC Pudong awesonr if you need to be in Pudong
JBauer likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Hardware wise Ritz Pudong and W best by far. But Pudong while great for work doesn't really give a sense of Old Shanghai. All high rises, ultramodern shopping. RC is housed in IFC, my fav shopping mall in Shanghai but it has same brands as anywhere.

Portman in Nanjing Rd and around French concession. Easy to walk around too. Hotel is ok but location can't be beat.

W is right between - good location and hardware. For tourist, I'd go with Portman, W or JW Tomorrow Square or Marriott in Tibet Rd/ Xizang Lu.

RC Pudong awesonr if you need to be in Pudong
+1. The Portman definitely is kind of old school now, but the location is as prime as it gets.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Fortune Wings Club Gold
Choosing between the Courtyard Shanghai Xujiahui and Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel for a 3 night March stay (cat 1/2 only) for tourism on my first time to Shanghai. Given that I'm only Marriott Gold so can't use the lounge, I'm guessing the Xujiahui is better suited to my needs? Both are 30/40 minutes away by subway to People's Square, and ~50 minutes drive to PVG (where I'll have a lovely 7:25am departing flight). I read through all 56 pages of the Shanghai Marriott thread and it seemed like people believe the Courtyard Shanghai Xujiahui has a better location and better lounge (lounge is useless to me though).
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Help Picking Shanghai Marriott Property

First apologies for starting a new thread for this. I wanted to post here but the thread was closed.

Anyway, if anyone could recommend a property based on these criteria (listed in order of importance), I'd really appreciate it!
1) The ability to stay indoors in case the pollution is really bad. I hope that I won't have to avail myself of this option, but I'd like to be able to from the hotel to malls and restaurants without having to go outdoors, similar to what you can do in Hong Kong.
2) Convenience to the LGBT nightlife near Jiaotong University station. I realize that I'd have to take a cab back at night, but this shouldn't be a big deal with no traffic.
3) A good free breakfast and lounge for platinum members
4) Convenience to major sites/attractions

Right now, I'm leaning towards the JW Marriott Tomorrow Square. It looks like there is direct metro access without going outdoors and a good breakfast. Can anyone confirm this, especially the metro access?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
There is no direct metro access from People's Square. It is a 2-3 minute walk and very easy to get to even if pollution bad.

There is no direct mall access either with just a few stores, a Starbucks and a hospital inside the building.

Club Lounge is nice with excellent breakfast spread. I usually recommend this property for 1st time Marriott loyalists to Shanghai.

LM is actually attached to a mall (but is/was undergoing renovation so not sure status) and is a 3-5 min easy walk to metro.

The Ritz pudong is attached to a fabulous mall and metro but no breakfast
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Surprising that price, whether $$$ or points, isn't a criteria...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
JW Tomorrow Square is a great choice. It's close to the subway station. The lounge is on the 59th floor which features a great view of Shanghai. The food and service are top-notch. I would not recommend any hotels in Pudong, if you plan to hang out in Puxi (i.e. near Jiaotong University).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
U can consider the Renaissance Zhongshan Park.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:22 am

Marriott City Center is a good alternative to the JW Marriott if you don't want to pay for the expensive rates at the JW -- same area of town, but lower redemption rates. The lounge is quite nice for Plats, and you can grab brekkie in the restaurant instead of the lounge if you wish. walking distance to People's Square subway station but also easy for Didis to reach you.

Another option is the Meridien which is just down the street from the Marriott hotel. It's a little older though and I've heard mixed reviews of the place.
mikeinchina likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by shevboyz
+1, one of the most underrated properties in Shanghai
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by davie355
12 hengshan is more convenient wrt jiaoda, and lots of great dining options. I recently moved to area, and love it.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by moondog
12 hengshan is more convenient wrt jiaoda, and lots of great dining options. I recently moved to area, and love it.
I also love the area around Twelve at Hengshan but the hotel is past its prime. Furnishings and carpets in the room were dirty. I wouldn’t stay there again until/unless it is refurbished.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by davie355
Agreed. It is directly above a metro stop, on the metro line to both airports, main train hub, and tourist sites. And above a huge indoor mall with good food options. The hotel is going up in points next month, so I would highly recommend looking into this place if you want to save some points.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: SPG PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by shevboyz
This place seems to keep getting good reviews on here. Anyone know what the lounge and platinum breakfast are like? And also, is there some reason people undervalue the place?

It's a shame 12 Hengshan is dates. The location seems amazing.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.