Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Make a Green Choice (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Make a Green Choice (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I just stayed at a Tribute Portfolio in Germany and made use of the MAGC programme. I really dislike that they actually went into my room and put that previous 500 points card on the desk! I don't understand why don't they just slip the thing under the door. This is the second time it happened and I thought it might have been someone that messed up last time and obviously they did it again - they could have given me extra set of toiletries as I have used them up.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Has the devaluation dissuaded anyone else from doing this? It should really be at least 1500 Bonvoy points per day to MAGC to compare with the value that 500 Starwood points represented.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Has the devaluation dissuaded anyone else from doing this? It should really be at least 1500 Bonvoy points per day to MAGC to compare with the value that 500 Starwood points represented.
It's certainly not as valuable as before. But I still do it, mostly because I don't really want housekeeping coming in to rearrange my stuff. If I get (trivial) points and there is (trivial) environmental benefit, so much the better.

Last edited by Mr. BoH; Nov 12, 2019 at 4:51 am
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Has the devaluation dissuaded anyone else from doing this?
No. I don't do it for the points.
Antarius, Zorak and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:13 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
For me the points are just sugar on top.

I like saving labor, chemicals and energy for something I do not value when I am alone. With 100's of nights per year the cumulative impact is quite significant. That said, if I am sharing the room with someone else, I will normally skip the MAGC, because most other people do not meet my standards of neatness and cleanliness.
Antarius and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cbellero
For me the points are just sugar on top.

I like saving labor, chemicals and energy for something I do not value when I am alone. With 100's of nights per year the cumulative impact is quite significant.
Agree. Its unnecessary and I certainly do not need my sheets and towels changed every couple of days.

The Hyatt I stayed at just now had a decline housekeeping option with no points and I selected it. Obviously i prefer the MAGC point bonus, but it isn't the driving factor.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
I don't like housekeeping (or anyone else) entering my room, so I always decline housekeeping regardless of any points offer or other promotion.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
Had a recent stay at Sheraton Stockholm, and they had the Green Choice door hanger still branded in SPG. Used it for my stay of 4 nights, but didn't get any points posted
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:48 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by elephentravels
Had a recent stay at Sheraton Stockholm, and they had the Green Choice door hanger still branded in SPG. Used it for my stay of 4 nights, but didn't get any points posted
Hi elephentravels! If you'd like to send us a private message or email us at [email protected] with your full name and reservation confirmation number, we can get those points added for you.

Thanks,

Robert V.

Social Media Liaison
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Another one who finds the points a secondary plus in addition to calling off housekeeping. I absolutely do not need it on a two-night stay where I'm fine with reusing my bath towel vs. returning in the late afternoon to find they haven't gotten around to my room yet.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I also do it regardless of whether points are involved. Once I've set up my stuff the way I need/want/like it, I really don't want to have to mess with it, or have housekeeping mess with it. The points are an added bonus.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Once I've set up my stuff the way I need/want/like it, I really don't want to have to mess with it, or have housekeeping mess with it. The points are an added bonus.
I guess I'm the opposite, I like having the room cleaned and bed made, fresh towels, new toiletries etc, if I'm going to give up that 500 points is hardly worth a coffee these days, so it doesn't enter the equation. There are times I decline housekeeping for other reasons.
TV guy likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:18 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
For leisure stays with the family we have so much stuff in the room, we tend to decline housekeeping for shorter stays. We set up the room how we like and don't want anyone messing it up nor having to rearrange for housekeeping. For longer stays 5+ days, we may have housekeeping once mid-stay to tidy up the room. If we need fresh towels or other consumables, we just ask housekeeping when we see them in the hallway or call the front desk to request them.

For business stays, I also typically decline housekeeping though I only really starting doing so once MAGC was started. In hindsight, I should have been doing it all along. My typical business stays are 1 to 3 nights. The room doesn't get very messy with one person in that timeframe. Same approach for fresh towels, etc. as leisure stays, just ask housekeeping or the front desk if I need something. Typically I do not.

Logistically it is much easier not having to deal with someone in the room at a random time for cleaning. Each to their own and YMMV....

--Jon
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Nothing irritates me more than hotels who have a sign that say "if you'd like to reuse your towels, please hang them up" and still replace them even though I've hung them up. NOT GREEN!!! So now I just put the DO NOT DISTURB sign out whether or not the hotel offers MAGC.

Also, I always bring my own slippers. Slippers easily last 3-4 months. But in hotels (and on airlines) they toss them after one use. Very annoying when turn down service puts out a new pair of slippers by the bed for you to use (which I don't). I presume those slippers go to landfill even though they've never been worn.

I assume/hope they don't throw out all the untouched water bottles. When I was at JW Phu Quoc, I think I counted 15 water bottles in my room by the time I left. I guess they didn't figure out that I didn't use a single one!
yurtripper likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 9:56 pm

This showed up in my twitter Ad feed, https://www.marriotttravelalert.org/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.