Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Make a Green Choice (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Make a Green Choice (MAGC) Decline Housekeeping Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2019, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I was at Bethesda Marriott and got my 500 points for MAGC for 1 night (July 2018), everything worked as it should. Sheraton Uptown ABQ did also post the points too.

However I didn't have a good experience at a hotel in Germany, it's new and here's the ordeal:

First stay: saw the MAGC in their tab (instead of the hotel information booklet) and called the front desk and they claimed they have it and as long as I put out my DND they will credit me the points. I did and no point arrived and wrote to the hotel and they said they are not participating.

Second stay: They had the hangtag so I used it, I took a picture of it. At check-out I reminded them that I had my hangtag out and he asked me for the card that stuck under the door which there wasn't. Of course no point was awarded and had to chase it with MR.

Will have a stay there again later this month and let's see how it goes.

Here's a list of MAGC hotels in the US and Canada:

List of MAGC hotels in the US and Canada
I know the list is dated in 2017, so I just wanted to update that the Residence Inn at PDX/Cascade Station had the MAGC option via hang card for 250 points/night.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Great offer!

Currently at Sheraton Grand Mirage Gold Coast. In the room, I found a door hanger offering $15 F&B credit for each night I forego housekeeping. Sold! ��

No mention of the embarrassing 500 Bonbon pts. I wish more properties would take the initiative to make a better offer.
KRSW, mnmag, joakgarp and 1 others like this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Apr 17, 2019 at 10:54 pm Reason: Changed pts from 250 to 500.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My hotel stays are almost always single night, but I had a recent two-night stay at the Portland City Center Marriott so decided to opt for Green Choice points during online check in. Generate very little in the way of garbage, don't really care about the bed being made up again by a housekeeper, and have no problem hanging up my towel and bath mat as I would do at home anyway.

The extra 500 points posted along with the 1000 elite amenity points.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by cmatthews11
They need to fix this. Beyond stupid to offer it during Mobile check-in only for them to tell me it's "not available." Happened this week at a Residence Inn.
Residence Inn is a brand that does not participate, unless a specific RI property decides to 'opt-in'. Agree it's stupid for the app to offer it when the property doesn't participate. FWIW - the property gets yelled at (which they're probably not thrilled about) when it seems to be an IT issue.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Pretty much a property call. Some don't limit it at all, some say every 3 days claiming a welfare check is needed (both for people and their room). Some say only one 3-day offering regardless of length of stay. I don't think the T&Cs are specific.
I'm trying to find the T&Cs, but think you're right that they're not specific. FWIW - I've been told even if someone does a MAGC, properties do have to do a welfare/service check every 3 days in case someone is actually injured or dead.

Originally Posted by nacho
Here's a list of MAGC hotels in the US and Canada:

List of MAGC hotels in the US and Canada
That helps, but it's nearly 2 years old so who knows if the properties listed are still accurate.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Thanks. That confirms that the front-desk agent did indeed lie to me.
The list is nearly 2 years old, so the FDC may or may not have lied to you.

Cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Currently at Sheraton Grand Mirage Gold Coast. In the room, I found a door hanger offering $15 F&B credit for each night I forego housekeeping. Sold! 👍

No mention of the embarrassing 250 Bonbon pts. I wish more properties would take the initiative to make a better offer.
A full service property doesn't offer 250 points. But FWIW - I don't think offering up $15 F&B credit makes much sense for the property. Odds are they don't even pay the housekeepers that & more folk would take them up on $15F&B, so they lose F&B revenue. But yeah, if I was offered $15F&B I'd take them up on it too

Cheers.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:46 pm

Currently at Sheraton Grand Mirage Gold Coast. In the room, I found a door hanger offering $15 F&B credit for each night I forego housekeeping. Sold! 👍

No mention of the embarrassing 250 Bonbon pts. I wish more properties would take the initiative to make a better offer.
Same offer at the Sheraton Grand Mirage Port Douglas. I liked that you could stack the certificates to use for a single meal - I had expected them to be valid on that single day based on the Courtyard $10 vouchers.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
A full service property doesn't offer 250 points. But FWIW - I don't think offering up $15 F&B credit makes much sense for the property. Odds are they don't even pay the housekeepers that & more folk would take them up on $15F&B, so they lose F&B revenue. But yeah, if I was offered $15F&B I'd take them up on it too

Cheers.
My bad. I fixed it.

It’s Australia! The housekeepers probably make $20/hr.

Originally Posted by joeags
Same offer at the Sheraton Grand Mirage Port Douglas. I liked that you could stack the certificates to use for a single meal - I had expected them to be valid on that single day based on the Courtyard $10 vouchers.
It’s a great deal! The coupon I got this morning is valid until tomorrow.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I was just at the Sheraton Bellevue and the MAGC card said I'd get "500 SPG points"

I look forward to my 1500 Bonvoy points that are definitely coming any moment now. They posted 0 so I'll chase it down..... eventually
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Remember, however, that a $15 credit at retail doesn't cost them anything close to that, either.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Regarding the list of participating properties floating around, my properly-credited stay above was at a property that was not on it.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:10 am

Currently at Sheraton Grand Mirage Gold Coast. In the room, I found a door hanger offering $15 F&B credit for each night I forego housekeeping. Sold! ��
No mention of the embarrassing 500 Bonbon pts. I wish more properties would take the initiative to make a better offer.
I had a similar offer at the Sheraton Vistana Resort in Orlando. We gladly took the F&B credits. It was one of the rare times when it felt like a win/win for both the property and us.

/RANT:
Overall, I'm not impressed with most "green" initiatives as they're of dubious impact, such as the crusade against plastic straws. More often than not they're a cover story for increased profit either in sales of higher-margin products or reduced cost. Does anyone else remember when light bulbs were $0.10/piece?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Stayed at RI last week and was offered MAGC, but this week in a different state, nada. Stupid inconsistencies.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Does anyone know the rationale for the 3rd night ‘break’ in the MAGC rules? Is this a union thing to ensure the need for housekeeping is not reduced too significantly?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Does anyone know the rationale for the 3rd night ‘break’ in the MAGC rules? Is this a union thing to ensure the need for housekeeping is not reduced too significantly?
That could be it - I also read somewhere that the longer it goes without cleaning, the longer it can take to clean at the end, so a midpoint clean bas benefits. Some people are disgusting.
KRSW and capedreamer like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
I stayed at Westin Excelsior Rome and they do participate in MAGC. For each night (up to length of stay-1 day) they give a card which you can choose to get 500 starpoint/donate to charity/or $5 EUR food and beverage credit. However I turned 7 cards in and no points were posted 2 weeks after checkout. I chat with Marriott customer services and they promptly posted the points to my account...So far, I haved only had a handful of nights , maybe 6 to 8 out of 60 that posted without having to contact customer services....to me I may not bother if its for only 250 points but for missing 3500 points its definitely worth a call/chat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.