Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Certificates - Not permitting 2nd person added as guest starting 1/1/19 ?

Marriott Certificates - Not permitting 2nd person added as guest starting 1/1/19 ?

Old Jan 8, 19, 11:14 am
Original Poster

I've seen recent DPs on other forums that people are encountering trouble with their 5/7 night award certificates. Previously, you were able to add a second guest to the reservation and they would be able to check-in first separately with no issues.

However people are reporting that they are now encountering trouble on the phone. Can anyone confirm or share their experiences as well?

I booked an award night and then tried attemted to add on my buyer. I didn't see that option online so I called in. First rep. told me that because it's a certificate I can't add guest. 2nd rep. told me that they can add guest but if they arrive first it will be charged as a regular room, and reversed once I arrive.
I was told the same thing as rep #1 told you and she elaborated with the story of rep #2 . Additionally, she told me this is the new policy as of January 1, 2019.
Old Jan 8, 19, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just call the property directly & have them made a note in the reservation of the name of the second guest & arriving at a different time.

Cheers.
Old Jan 8, 19, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Just call the property directly & have them made a note in the reservation of the name of the second guest & arriving at a different time.

Cheers.
It may not work at a hotel that has had its share of only the added guest showing up. Some hotels are wise to folks selling their certs but making the res and all and promising all benefits will be extended according to the sellers level. If both partys have the same last name then it shouldnt be a problem but if thats not the case its YMMV . a friend recently had that problem his wife kept her maiden name for biz reasons, the hotel said no go, but once the member shows up no problem and if she gets there 1st then she can check-in but w/o any benefits being given. she got there 1st and waited till he came a couple of hours later. The FD apologized but explained how they found out certs were sold and the party checking in had no relationship to the seller other then the sale of the cert. Its not only with certs but even award stays

I imagine a non hot hotel or when rates are low it shouldnt be a problem, otherwise its YMMV

Search this Thread
Search Engine: