Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Carlton Resort Fee

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Ritz Carlton Resort Fee

Does anyone have a way to avoid the resort fee? their website list these as the benefits

The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel assesses a $50 resort fee per room, per night. Amenities and services included in the resort fee are:
  • Wireless, high-speed Internet access in guest rooms and common areas
  • Unlimited local telephone calls in Southern California
  • 24-hour computer access to the Private Business Centers
  • Daily Yoga and Pilates classes on the lawn overlooking the Pacific Ocean
  • Individual guest use of The Ritz-Carlton Spa’s sauna and steam rooms
  • Shuttle service to and from Salt Creek Beach on an individual guest request basis (not applicable to group transfers)
  • Access to resort’s Beach Butler Service and use of beach recreation equipment including fins, towel service, umbrellas, and beach chairs
  • Unlimited use of the Tennis Courts including rackets. Tournament and clinic fees are additional
  • Preferred golf tee-times at Monarch Beach Golf Links, including shuttle service and golf bag storage on an individual guest request basis. (not applicable to group transfers)
  • Participation in the resort’s daily scheduled Eco-Adventure Center Garden Tour
i wouldn't use any of these - the only one of interest is the internet which is included as a marriott rewards centre - anyone had any success arguing it?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:12 am

You're better off posting this in the resort thread. My assumption is that it's very YMMV, but you can ask at checkin. If you have status it may help. Resort fees are essentially cash grabs, they do not care if you use the amenities included.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Best way to avoid is to book elsewhere.

But, nothing prevents you from calling the property directly (not the toll-free number) and expressing your displeasure and asking whether it can be removed. If that does not work, do it again at check-in.

But, to be frank, if you have already booked, they know they've got you.

BTW - While "resorts" still call these "resort fees" many downtown locations now impose similar "destination fees".
dimon84, KRSW and Tanic like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by stevietommo
Does anyone have a way to avoid the resort fee?
No. The only way to 100% avoid the resort fee is to book a hotel without a resort fee. Otherwise it is free money straight to my bottom line.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:56 pm
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
I haven't had any success removing them. Recently stayed at Ritz Dove Mountain, which also has a $50 resort fee (and doesn't even include spa/sauna!). We decided to try and take advantage of as much of it as we could and had a lot of fun.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:38 am

As others have said, resort fees are just dishonest marketing. The kicker is when the resort fee + parking fees = $50+/night for a $75/night room like some of the full service Marriotts are.

I've never had any luck with removing resort fees. Parking fees, yes, but never resort fees.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As these fees are all disclosed, the savvy consumer adds the room rate to mandatory fees and arrives at the disbursement he will make. Properties use the pricing method because most consumers sort online searches by lowest price and do not look further. There are multiple threads on this issue on FT and all boil down to the same thing.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
Best way to avoid is to book elsewhere.
Yep. We can close the thread now.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:31 pm
JBD

OP cross posted in the hotel's master thread and received a reply that booking a Club Level room is the answer.

Here's the link to that single post.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SPG had a policy that if the resort fee includes Plat benefits (such as internet) then the property should offer some alternative amenity for Plats, which was often minor but a few properties waived or reduced the resort fee for Plats.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
SPG had a policy that if the resort fee includes Plat benefits (such as internet) then the property should offer some alternative amenity for Plats, which was often minor but a few properties waived or reduced the resort fee for Plats.
I believe this language was in either the initial post-8/18 loyalty program terms -- before some changes -- or one of the leaked pre-8/18 draft terms. It's now disappeared.

I've protested at several properties, before and after 8/18 about paying a resort fee for things that I'm entitled to receive on a complimentary basis. Most properties either waive resort fee in its entirety or reduce it by $10 per day.

I've read some reports of folks filing consumer protection complaints. Some tweets on Twitter in response to a blogger from The Points Guy complaining about a "destination fee" indicated New York's attorney general is or was going after hotels doing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.