Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tokyo, Japan, 2019 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This thread is to discuss and compare the various Marriott branded hotels in the Tokyo, Japan area.
The below 2 threads contain pre-2019 discussions for Tokyo area Marriott and Starwood hotels:
Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

The Westin Tokyo
Notes: Upscale location, walkable to station, generally good for couples.
Detailed thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/713198-westin-tokyo-japan-2007-onward-master-thread.html

Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo
Notes:

Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel
Notes: Good if your trip focuses on the two Disney resorts, great themed rooms that kids love, no lounge but good breakfast.

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Notes: High rise hotel with views rivaling the Andaz.
Small but adequate lounge, onsen from the high floor is a novelty in itself. However lounge access is no longer provided to Marriott elites (unless booking a room that comes with access).
Detailed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1728518-prince-gallery-tokyo-kioicho-japan-lc-master-thread.html

Yokohama Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers
Notes: Decently large lounge with good high tea, conveniently located to Yokohama station, great upgrades for platinums.
If you have bags, don't use the train, since the Yokohama station is the "sagrada familia of tokyo" where construction never ends and passages are narrow and crowded.

Tokyo Marriott Hotel
Notes:

Courtyard Tokyo Ginza Hotel
Notes:

Courtyard Tokyo Station
Notes:

The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
Notes:

The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection
Notes: Conveniently located in the vicinity of Shinagawa Station, a very short train ride from HND. Decent lounge. Big hotel rooms by Tokyo standards.

Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho
Notes: Botique hotel in a local neighbourhood outside of central Tokyo.

A'loft Ginza
Notes: very central location, small rooms, and a funky but nice rooftop bar with a hotdog stand.

AC Ginza
Notes:

The Tokyo Edition Toranomon
Notes:

Mesm Autograph Collection
Notes: Lounge based on status only available to Ambassador members. Otherwise need to book a room that includes lounge access.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tokyo, Japan, 2019 onward

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Surprised there is still no St. Regis anywhere in Tokyo.

Given the great quality of the St. Regis Osaka that would be something to look forward to.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
VS across the street from Shinagawa Station or on top of Higashi Ginza Station?

The connections once you get to Hamatsucho are not bad, but in distance comparison, the others are better located. I should maybe have highlighted this. Of course by many standards 10 minutes to the station is not bad. But in this comparison, Mesm does not do too well.
I don't disagree with you. I too think that inside of a 10 min walk is good by my Tokyo lifestyle standards. Like I mentioned, I do prefer the quieter Kaigan environs of MESM vs the Ginza/Shinagawa locations of the other two, however that is very personal and I imagine not as popular with other tourists. Indeed, in terms of immediate locations to restaurants and shops, MESM is not as good as the other two. I am partial to the area however, so take my views as biased (I live in the area now but lived in Sakura Tower for a month during my transition to Tokyo).
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:06 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by porphyra
I don't disagree with you. I too think that inside of a 10 min walk is good by my Tokyo lifestyle standards.
Maybe depends on time of year. For me 5min vs 10min walk is whatever, they might as well be the same. I actually like being able to walk places in Tokyo, which I cannot do in the suburban wasteland I actually live in.

Until it's August in Tokyo, and then even 5min walk is death and I want a direct air conditioned connection to a station.

It's kind of like how the Prince Gallery is only a couple minutes from Nagatacho and Akasaka-Mitsuke and connected to the former. But it's a long walk to actually catch a train. If they just built a giant tunnel from MESM to Hamamatsucho it would be basically the same thing, so is it really different in terms of being "close" to transit? I guess it is different when that tunnel is air conditioned and the outdoors is 30C

Of course, in terms of absolute time PS and the new Ginza properties obviously are closer to transit any way you look at it. How much that matters when we're talking about +/- 5min is very dependent on person and context.
CO-PLAT likes this.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Jan 14, 2021 at 9:14 pm
Old Jun 5, 2021, 11:14 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Any recommendations for a good Tokyo option for people that don’t plan to spend much time in the hotel? The EDITION and PG look really great. The Mesm seems cool too. We are primarily interested in the food and enjoying things like Shiba cafes.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Any recommendations for a good Tokyo option for people that don’t plan to spend much time in the hotel? The EDITION and PG look really great. The Mesm seems cool too. We are primarily interested in the food and enjoying things like Shiba cafes.
If you are not going to spend much time in the hotel, I'd probably say Aloft Ginza (tiny rooms) or AC Ginza (decent sized rooms a bit higher price), location is good, hotels are brand new, both have a roof top bar for an after sightseeing drink.

Seemed that you were thinking more luxury, but maybe a pity if you don't plan to spend much time there.
​​
Old Jun 6, 2021, 12:15 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
The Conrad Tokyo (near the MESM) is also a good option that is cheaper than EDITION, PG, and MESM, and has a club lounge you can enjoy after sightseeing, a good value IMO. CPH-Flyer's recommendation of the Aloft Ginza and AC Ginza is also good if you don't plan on spending much time in the hotel.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 12:25 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
If they just built a giant tunnel from MESM to Hamamatsucho it would be basically the same thing, so is it really different in terms of being "close" to transit?
Actually, there is a lengthy elevated pedestrian walkway that you can access across the street from MESM that will take you to a spot just across the street from Hamamatsucho Station, so you won't have to cross as many streets to get there, but it can't beat an air-conditioned tunnel that can take you all the way there (which doesn't exist from MESM).
WasKnown likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 1:00 am

If you are not going to spend much time in the hotel, I'd probably say Aloft Ginza (tiny rooms) or AC Ginza (decent sized rooms a bit higher price), location is good, hotels are brand new, both have a roof top bar for an after sightseeing drink.

Seemed that you were thinking more luxury, but maybe a pity if you don't plan to spend much time there.
​​
This is why I occasionally spit my hotels for a same-city stay.
For the days when I know I will be out and about, I will book an affordable place but then I will normally end the trip with the final ~2 nights in one of the city's top luxury options. To me, there is no better way to end a trip to a city (if time & budget allows).
Old Jun 6, 2021, 2:56 am

Are you planning to stay with points or cash?
Old Jun 6, 2021, 5:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Location of PG is IMO better than Edition. Toranomon is pretty dead.
​​
Or going outside Marriott, the Centric Ginza, also for location.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Location of PG is IMO better than Edition. Toranomon is pretty dead.

Or going outside Marriott, the Centric Ginza, also for location.
Currently the rates are OK, but once Japan reopens, I guess the centric will return to charging far more than it is worth. Can be risk for Aloft and AC as well as we have not seen them at peak travel times. But the centric certainly had a disconnect between price and performance pre pandemic.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Also considering the Park Hyatt and the Aman for the incredible product as well as the Grand Hyatt for the location.

Originally Posted by zack14
Are you planning to stay with points or cash?
Cash unless 2022 rates really skyrocket. Open to redeeming points if the redemption value is good. I think I have a different threshold for redemptions vs most others.

Originally Posted by jaejaez
This is why I occasionally spit my hotels for a same-city stay.
For the days when I know I will be out and about, I will book an affordable place but then I will normally end the trip with the final ~2 nights in one of the city's top luxury options. To me, there is no better way to end a trip to a city (if time & budget allows).
We are only staying for 8 nights so would rather not hotel hop. Also, as mentioned, we will be hosting Japanese friends frequently for after-dinner drinks. Probably 4-5 nights out of those 8.

Currently the rates are OK, but once Japan reopens, I guess the centric will return to charging far more than it is worth. Can be risk for Aloft and AC as well as we have not seen them at peak travel times. But the centric certainly had a disconnect between price and performance pre pandemic.
Would you happen to know how the rates are for PG, EDITION, Mesm, PH, GH, and Aman relative to normal? I was surprised by how cheap the Aman is compared to options like the Ritz.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also considering the Park Hyatt and the Aman for the incredible product as well as the Grand Hyatt for the location.

Cash unless 2022 rates really skyrocket. Open to redeeming points if the redemption value is good. I think I have a different threshold for redemptions vs most others.

We are only staying for 8 nights so would rather not hotel hop. Also, as mentioned, we will be hosting Japanese friends frequently for after-dinner drinks. Probably 4-5 nights out of those 8.

Would you happen to know how the rates are for PG, EDITION, Mesm, PH, GH, and Aman relative to normal? I was surprised by how cheap the Aman is compared to options like the Ritz.
Mesm seems to have kept their regular rates throughout the pandemic. (read absurdly high)

Edition has was only open in the pandemic really, but started out around 50K++ yen but have been seen around 35K++

GH has had some rock-bottom prices in some period.

Have not really followed the others.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 12:23 pm

What’s better? Ritz for $800 with lounge access or the Mesm for $500.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What’s better? Ritz for $800 with lounge access or the Mesm for $500.
800 USD per night seems on the high side for RC Tokyo, even for a Club Level room. Unless it is a quite particular peak season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.