Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tokyo, Japan, 2019 onward

Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This thread is to discuss and compare the various Marriott branded hotels in the Tokyo, Japan area.
The below 2 threads contain pre-2019 discussions for Tokyo area Marriott and Starwood hotels:
Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

The Westin Tokyo
Notes: Upscale location, walkable to station, generally good for couples.
Detailed thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/713198-westin-tokyo-japan-2007-onward-master-thread.html

Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo
Notes:

Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel
Notes: Good if your trip focuses on the two Disney resorts, great themed rooms that kids love, no lounge but good breakfast.

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Notes: High rise hotel with views rivaling the Andaz.
Small but adequate lounge, onsen from the high floor is a novelty in itself. However lounge access is no longer provided to Marriott elites (unless booking a room that comes with access).
Detailed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1728518-prince-gallery-tokyo-kioicho-japan-lc-master-thread.html

Yokohama Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers
Notes: Decently large lounge with good high tea, conveniently located to Yokohama station, great upgrades for platinums.
If you have bags, don't use the train, since the Yokohama station is the "sagrada familia of tokyo" where construction never ends and passages are narrow and crowded.

Tokyo Marriott Hotel
Notes:

Courtyard Tokyo Ginza Hotel
Notes:

Courtyard Tokyo Station
Notes:

The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
Notes:

The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection
Notes: Conveniently located in the vicinity of Shinagawa Station, a very short train ride from HND. Decent lounge. Big hotel rooms by Tokyo standards.

Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho
Notes: Botique hotel in a local neighbourhood outside of central Tokyo.

A'loft Ginza
Notes: very central location, small rooms, and a funky but nice rooftop bar with a hotdog stand.

AC Ginza
Notes:

The Tokyo Edition Toranomon
Notes:

Mesm Autograph Collection
Notes: Lounge based on status only available to Ambassador members. Otherwise need to book a room that includes lounge access.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tokyo, Japan, 2019 onward

Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Many hotels in Japan don't load rates a full year out.
But this is not loading dates less than six months out.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ohmark
But this is not loading dates less than six months out.
That would be covered by what I said was typical in Japan.

Also, AC Ginza does have rates loaded much further than that. I see standard room flex rate all the way in November. They haven't loaded in more detailed rates for all their room types. Again, this is not abnormal.

CY Ginza often doesn't load rates until a few months out. Prince Gallery often has only standard room loaded for a period and then suddenly the booking calendar fills with higher tier rooms and special rates, etc.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:41 pm

AC Ginza more

...AC Ginza does have rates loaded much further than that. I see standard room flex rate all the way in November. They haven't loaded in more detailed rates for all their room types. Again, this is not abnormal.
CY Ginza often doesn't load rates until a few months out.
Just did a search for dates in October and November without designating any particular rate or room or awards. Using Marriott flexible search, says nothing available in July/August/September/October at AC. But, in any case, am searching for October award availability, and no months after June have been loaded.

Our cruise line is comping a three night post-cruise stay at Hilton Tokyo in Shinjuku. We have option of declining the stay and being compensated. We were thinking of using points for a five night stay (to get the bonus free night) at a Marriott property. Had narrowed choice to the new AC in Ginza, the newish Mesm Autograph, and the Prince Sakura Autograph. This is a first time trip to Tokyo for typical tourist stuff, and had concerns that Mesm and Prince Sakura Tower may not be well located for sightseeing as opposed to the AC in Ginza. All 3 properties appear fine point-wise and otherwise acceptable.
Would appreciate any recommendations/suggestions as to above. As to AC, guess will have to wait until October award availability is loaded.

Finally, if anybody has stayed at AC Ginza, would enjoy hearing their impressions.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Just did a search for dates in October and November without designating any particular rate or room or awards. Using Marriott flexible search, says nothing available in July/August/September/October at AC. But, in any case, am searching for October award availability, and no months after June have been loaded.
I'm sorry to tell you but Marriott's flexible search has been broken forever, so you must painfully search day by day.

Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:56 pm

I'm sorry to tell you but Marriott's flexible search has been broken forever, so you must painfully search day by day.

Thanks. But as mentioned, I'm searching for an award stay. And whether I search day by day (as I have) or flexible (as I have), as of now there is no availability for an AWARD stay after June at AC Ginza, which I'm guessing means those award rates have not yet been loaded. If that's incorrect, I'm all ears.
Don't want to get bogged down, just looking for some help on the above questions as to anybody with experience staying at the new AC Ginza, and/or whether that neighborhood would be superior for a first time Tokyo sightseer to the areas of the Mesm or Prince Sakura Tower. Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thanks. But as mentioned, I'm searching for an award stay. And whether I search day by day (as I have) or flexible (as I have), as of now there is no availability for an AWARD stay after June at AC Ginza, which I'm guessing means those award rates have not yet been loaded. If that's incorrect, I'm all ears.
Don't want to get bogged down, just looking for some help on the above questions as to anybody with experience staying at the new AC Ginza, and/or whether that neighborhood would be superior for a first time Tokyo sightseer to the areas of the Mesm or Prince Sakura Tower. Thanks
Neighbourhoods in Tokyo are not that important as you will in the end need to move around a fair bit during the day. Connections to public transport is really the key, and of those three Mesm clearly has the least public transport options, and is furthest from the stations. From a touristic perspective, the Sakura Tower is probably the one with the least things of interest close by. Shinagawa does not have much else than a lot of good food, not high end but good. Apart from Hamarikyu and Shibarikyu gardens, the Mesm does not really have much close by, my feeling is also not really in terms of food, but I don't know the area that well to be certain.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:05 pm

Oh sorry. When you mentioned this I thought you weren't seeing any results at all since you said you didn't specify an award rate.
Just did a search for dates in October and November without designating any particular rate or room or awards.

To comment on your general question, like CPH-Flyer I have never cared all that much about where I stay unless it's really far out. I've stayed at the Conrad which some people feel is an awful location that isn't near anything, but ultimately you can basically get anywhere from anywhere in Tokyo and you're going to be walking and using trains so it doesn't much matter.

If I was booking with points I would do MESM over Prince Sakura every day. The latter didn't impress me even on a pre-Bonvoy 7nt Cat6 cert, I felt I wasted a very valuable award instrument. The hard product is just too dated there. MESM is a brand new development. However, it is more of a walk to get to a station, 8-10min walk to get to comprehensive transit connectivity.

By the way, if you're looking more in Cat5 range, the Aloft and AC are beside each other so you could secure something at Aloft which has loaded rates, and change to AC when they load theirs.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Jan 12, 2021 at 11:14 pm
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Oh sorry. When you mentioned this I thought you weren't seeing any results at all since you said you didn't specify an award rate.

To comment on your general question, like CPH-Flyer I have never cared all that much about where I stay unless it's really far out. I've stayed at the Conrad which some people feel is an awful location that isn't near anything, but ultimately you can basically get anywhere from anywhere in Tokyo and you're going to be walking and using trains so it doesn't much matter.

If I was booking with points I would do MESM over Prince Sakura every day. The latter didn't impress me even on a pre-Bonvoy 7nt Cat6 cert, I felt I wasted a very valuable award instrument. The hard product is just too dated there. MESM is a brand new development. However, it is more of a walk to get to a station, 8-10min walk to get to comprehensive transit connectivity.

By the way, if you're looking more in Cat5 range, the Aloft and AC are beside each other so you could secure something at Aloft which has loaded rates, and change to AC when they load theirs.
The Aloft is quite nice, and has a nice roof top bar. Outdoors roof top bar. The lobby bar is also nice. The rooms are quite small (brand standard?) but unless you need a lot of room space, definitely worth a stay.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Aloft is quite nice, and has a nice roof top bar. Outdoors roof top bar. The lobby bar is also nice. The rooms are quite small (brand standard?) but unless you need a lot of room space, definitely worth a stay.
Yeah, when I looked at Aloft room photos, thought the rooms looked smallish and uninspiring. Maybe too small for two of us for 5 nights. Thanks.

I've stayed at an AC in the U.S. and thought it was modern with nice and decent sized rooms. Thought the AC Ginza photos looked nice, with a spare contemporary style that almost looks Japanese inspired.

Last edited by ohmark; Jan 13, 2021 at 11:05 am
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
The Aloft has some larger rooms available. Decent sized for Tokyo actually.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:11 am

If I was booking with points I would do MESM over Prince Sakura every day.
The major concern for us with MESM is the idea that it was somewhat isolated with nothing (restaurants, shopping, etc.) in the immediate walkable area. This was reinforced by a review I saw recently (maybe Tripadvisor), that expressed unhappiness with a recent MESM stay exactly for that reason. But the property itself looks great.

Last edited by ohmark; Jan 13, 2021 at 1:29 pm
Old Jan 13, 2021, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by lucycan
Thanks, good to know. But we are contemplating an award stay, and only the base room can be reserved in the reward inventory. I am Titanium, but don't know the property's upgrade propensity, and am reluctant to chance the possibility of a tiny room for 5 nights for two of us.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lucycan
Decent sized for a Tokyo style business hotel....
Old Jan 13, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Neighbourhoods in Tokyo are not that important as you will in the end need to move around a fair bit during the day. Connections to public transport is really the key, and of those three Mesm clearly has the least public transport options, and is furthest from the stations. From a touristic perspective, the Sakura Tower is probably the one with the least things of interest close by. Shinagawa does not have much else than a lot of good food, not high end but good. Apart from Hamarikyu and Shibarikyu gardens, the Mesm does not really have much close by, my feeling is also not really in terms of food, but I don't know the area that well to be certain.
Agreed on the locations, as long you are have reasonable transit options and are still somewhat in the central wards of Tokyo. That said, I don't think the connection options of MESM are bad at all. Inside of a 10 minute walk you are at Hamamatsucho which gives you Yamanote, Kehin-Tohoku (if you want to go down to Yokohama) and the Odeo and Asakusa lines at Daimon. You also have the Yurikamome to Odaiba next door at Takeshiba, as well as Monorail to HND there. Close proximity to Shimbashi and Ginza (without exactly being in it) are also not a bad deal. Easier access to lot of outdoor waterways and riverwalks by the Sumida river, in the Tsukiji and Tsukishima area are great. I love going for a run there regularly. Ginza can be an assault on the senses if in the middle of it all the time. I much prefer being in an area that is easily accessible to it but also away if i want some quiet around me.

The only issue is that Shibuya and Shinjuku will feel like a little bit of a hike from the area. The only way to get to Shibuya is to take the looping way around via Yamanote and then beyond to Shinjuku. If you feel like you will want to spend more time in that area, then suggest you look for options in that location.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by porphyra
Agreed on the locations, as long you are have reasonable transit options and are still somewhat in the central wards of Tokyo. That said, I don't think the connection options of MESM are bad at all. Inside of a 10 minute walk you are at Hamamatsucho which gives you Yamanote, Kehin-Tohoku (if you want to go down to Yokohama) and the Odeo and Asakusa lines at Daimon. You also have the Yurikamome to Odaiba next door at Takeshiba, as well as Monorail to HND there. Close proximity to Shimbashi and Ginza (without exactly being in it) are also not a bad deal. Easier access to lot of outdoor waterways and riverwalks by the Sumida river, in the Tsukiji and Tsukishima area are great. I love going for a run there regularly. Ginza can be an assault on the senses if in the middle of it all the time. I much prefer being in an area that is easily accessible to it but also away if i want some quiet around me.

The only issue is that Shibuya and Shinjuku will feel like a little bit of a hike from the area. The only way to get to Shibuya is to take the looping way around via Yamanote and then beyond to Shinjuku. If you feel like you will want to spend more time in that area, then suggest you look for options in that location.
VS across the street from Shinagawa Station or on top of Higashi Ginza Station?

The connections once you get to Hamatsucho are not bad, but in distance comparison, the others are better located. I should maybe have highlighted this. Of course by many standards 10 minutes to the station is not bad. But in this comparison, Mesm does not do too well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.