Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tokyo, Japan, 2019 onward

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
This thread is to discuss and compare the various Marriott branded hotels in the Tokyo, Japan area.
The below 2 threads contain pre-2019 discussions for Tokyo area Marriott and Starwood hotels:
Pre-2019 - Marriott-family hotels in Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo Discussion Thread (Where should I stay? Which hotel is better? etc.)

The Westin Tokyo
Notes: Upscale location, walkable to station, generally good for couples.
Detailed thread:https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/713198-westin-tokyo-japan-2007-onward-master-thread.html

Sheraton Miyako Hotel Tokyo
Notes:

Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay Hotel
Notes: Good if your trip focuses on the two Disney resorts, great themed rooms that kids love, no lounge but good breakfast.

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Notes: High rise hotel with views rivaling the Andaz.
Small but adequate lounge, onsen from the high floor is a novelty in itself. However lounge access is no longer provided to Marriott elites (unless booking a room that comes with access).
Detailed thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1728518-prince-gallery-tokyo-kioicho-japan-lc-master-thread.html

Yokohama Bay Sheraton Hotel & Towers
Notes: Decently large lounge with good high tea, conveniently located to Yokohama station, great upgrades for platinums.
If you have bags, don't use the train, since the Yokohama station is the "sagrada familia of tokyo" where construction never ends and passages are narrow and crowded.

Tokyo Marriott Hotel
Notes:

Courtyard Tokyo Ginza Hotel
Notes:

Courtyard Tokyo Station
Notes:

The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
Notes:

The Prince Sakura Tower Tokyo, Autograph Collection
Notes: Conveniently located in the vicinity of Shinagawa Station, a very short train ride from HND. Decent lounge. Big hotel rooms by Tokyo standards.

Moxy Tokyo Kinshicho
Notes: Botique hotel in a local neighbourhood outside of central Tokyo.

A'loft Ginza
Notes: very central location, small rooms, and a funky but nice rooftop bar with a hotdog stand.

AC Ginza
Notes:

The Tokyo Edition Toranomon
Notes:

Mesm Autograph Collection
Notes: Lounge based on status only available to Ambassador members. Otherwise need to book a room that includes lounge access.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Tokyo, Japan, 2019 onward

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:36 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
800 USD per night seems on the high side for RC Tokyo, even for a Club Level room. Unless it is a quite particular peak season.
Whats peak season for Tokyo? I am looking at May 2022 where the BAR for the RC is currently around $1200 per night. We are planning a very long stay (around 2 months) going around Japan and, for Tokyo, have settled on Hoshino-ya Tokyo and Aman Tokyo for 1 week each. We would like to do the remaining 2 weeks in Tokyo at Hyatt and Marriott properties but I am having trouble coming up with a good combination.

Currently I am leaning toward Ritz Carlton Tokyo and Park Hyatt Tokyo but would consider Mesm (or maybe even Prince Gallery?) and Grand Hyatt Tokyo as a combination as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Whats peak season for Tokyo?
Sakura would be one for sure.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Whats peak season for Tokyo? I am looking at May 2022 where the BAR for the RC is currently around $1200 per night. We are planning a very long stay (around 2 months) going around Japan and, for Tokyo, have settled on Hoshino-ya Tokyo and Aman Tokyo for 1 week each. We would like to do the remaining 2 weeks in Tokyo at Hyatt and Marriott properties but I am having trouble coming up with a good combination.

Currently I am leaning toward Ritz Carlton Tokyo and Park Hyatt Tokyo but would consider Mesm (or maybe even Prince Gallery?) and Grand Hyatt Tokyo as a combination as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cherry blossom period last week of March until second week of April, Obon in mid August, new year holidays, plus any major event happening would be hotel peak pricing periods. For the RC weekends are often more expensive than weekdays, as there are a fair chunk of local staycations, even before the pandemic this was quite normal.

Looking at May 2022, rates are currently higher than both cherry blossom season and new year's holiday. So either there is some event I am unaware off, or they just have not loaded any discounted pricing yet. Looking at lower scale Marriott hotels, the rates are quite good. So it is certainly not a city wide event. But looking at the luxury end PG, Edition Mesm, they all seem to come in with rather high rates for May.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Thoughts on Prince Gallery vs. Tokyo Edition if the EDITION is about 8% cheaper? EDITION seems to be in a better location.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 10:30 am

Points stay for first-time visitors to Japan, only Marriott Gold. Ritz vs. Edition vs. Prince Gallery? 3 night stay pricing at 285K vs 260K vs 285k. Any other hotels that I should be considering?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Ignutzz
Points stay for first-time visitors to Japan, only Marriott Gold. Ritz vs. Edition vs. Prince Gallery? 3 night stay pricing at 285K vs 260K vs 285k. Any other hotels that I should be considering?
I'd go for the Edition. I like the hotel at lot, better than the other two in my personal opinion and it is the cheapest (least expensive?) option.

For other options it really depends on what you would like from your hotel. If it is a nice, comfortable, luxury stay, those are definitely the Bonvoy options.
If you are just looking for a good location to sleep and generally not spend much time at the hotel but still have a good hotel experience, I'd suggest looking in to the AC Ginza. Which would probably also come in at a good deal fewer points.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 11:58 pm

I'd go for the Edition. I like the hotel at lot, better than the other two in my personal opinion and it is the cheapest (least expensive?) option.

For other options it really depends on what you would like from your hotel. If it is a nice, comfortable, luxury stay, those are definitely the Bonvoy options.
If you are just looking for a good location to sleep and generally not spend much time at the hotel but still have a good hotel experience, I'd suggest looking in to the AC Ginza. Which would probably also come in at a good deal fewer points.
For some reason, AC Ginza has no availability for next summer. Not sure if they’re just withholding rooms.

EDITION location seems great on a map. How is it in practice? I want to do some things that are only accessible by car (ie studio ghibli museum
Old Aug 7, 2021, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For some reason, AC Ginza has no availability for next summer. Not sure if they’re just withholding rooms.

EDITION location seems great on a map. How is it in practice? I want to do some things that are only accessible by car (ie studio ghibli museum
I would expect that award availability will come later, it is owned byt the same group that runs the Courtyard Ginza, and the CY is famous for not opening the schedule that far ahead.

The location of the Edition is maybe not the most central, nor the most lively neighbourhood. But there is actually a lot of good restaurants a short walk from there. The Hibiya subway line can be reached in a few minutes. It is also not too far from highway ramps if you do rent a car for a couple of days. I'd imagine parking fees to be extortionate though, not because it's an expensive hotel, just because they are in central Tokyo.
Old Aug 7, 2021, 5:56 am

I would expect that award availability will come later, it is owned byt the same group that runs the Courtyard Ginza, and the CY is famous for not opening the schedule that far ahead.

The location of the Edition is maybe not the most central, nor the most lively neighbourhood. But there is actually a lot of good restaurants a short walk from there. The Hibiya subway line can be reached in a few minutes. It is also not too far from highway ramps if you do rent a car for a couple of days. I'd imagine parking fees to be extortionate though, not because it's an expensive hotel, just because they are in central Tokyo.
The AC doesn’t event have availability for cash stays!

Thank you for the info!
Old Aug 7, 2021, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The mesm tokyo autograph collection looks nice

https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...ph-collection/

The location looks quite good also being close to Hamamatsucho JR station, the Takeshiba station for the Yurikamome line to odaiba and the Kyu-shiba-rikyu and not too far from the Hamarikyu gardens which are very nice for a wander.

Regards

TBS
WasKnown likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:09 pm
BCH

First time in Tokyo - with grandparents and a kid

Hi everyone would love your recommendations.

Our first time in Japan and spending a week in Tokyo. Our interests are history, sight-seeing, culture. I'd like to use points for 2 rooms (2 adults in one and 2 adults and 1 child in another). I am Ambassador-level member.

Would be great to have a property close to a train station so that we can get places easily.; close to restaurants (non-chains) to be able to walk back to hotel after dinner at least some evenings (a neighborhood to stroll around in the evening would be great); and, if possible, would love a hotel with a lounge so that we can chill.

We do like, modern, updated hotels. (The W is more my speed than the Sheraton, for example.) But based on our needs for this family trip, I think my options are a bit more limited.

If I understand this chain correctly, It seems that Westin, Sheraton Miyako, Marriott, and Prince Sakura are my options if I want a lounge? Of those, Sheraton, Marriott, and Prince Sakura are close to train stations? And of those, how would I rank my options based on my other preferences?

Am I missing anything?

THANKS a million!

BCH.

Last edited by BCH; Oct 27, 2021 at 10:33 pm
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Westin is in Ebisu, which offers a lot of dining options close by, there are nice areas to walk to, and there are good train options by the hotel. I don't know if they have a lounge. But if you prefer the W to the Sheraton, probably the Westin is not your style either. They are going for the Old World style rather than the more modern look of most Westins

The Marriott and the Sakura Prince are close to Shinagawa Station, which connections you to anything. The neighbourhood is not super exciting, but there are definitely food to be found, a lot of it chains, but not necessarily chain in a negative sense.

The Sheraton is close to a station, but not the most well connected one. The neighbourhood is nice and quiet, not much to see, but a lot of restaurants within a reasonable distance. I have not been recently, but it did have a reputation for being a bit tired for a while, and I have not heard about any renovations recently.

Despite not having a lounge, I'd suggest looking at the AC in Ginza.
The _Banking_Scot and BCH like this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by BCH
Hi everyone would love your recommendations.

Our first time in Japan and spending a week in Tokyo. Our interests are history, sight-seeing, culture. I'd like to use points for 2 rooms (2 adults in one and 2 adults and 1 child in another). I am Ambassador-level member.

Would be great to have a property close to a train station so that we can get places easily.; close to restaurants (non-chains) to be able to walk back to hotel after dinner at least some evenings (a neighborhood to stroll around in the evening would be great); and, if possible, would love a hotel with a lounge so that we can chill.

We do like, modern, updated hotels. (The W is more my speed than the Sheraton, for example.) But based on our needs for this family trip, I think my options are a bit more limited.

If I understand this chain correctly, It seems that Westin, Sheraton Miyako, Marriott, and Prince Sakura are my options if I want a lounge? Of those, Sheraton, Marriott, and Prince Sakura are close to train stations? And of those, how would I rank my options based on my other preferences?

Am I missing anything?

THANKS a million!

BCH.
While not in Tokyo, the Sheraton in Yokohama is worth a look at. It's about a 25 min train ride from Shinagawa which is like the southern end of Tokyo and a 40 min train ride to Ginza.

I don't know how many points you have, but 2 rooms at any hotel with a lounge in Tokyo for 7 nights is going to be at least 600k points. You could probably get the Sheraton Yokohama for 410k.

There is a lounge, it's actually attached to Yokohama Station, and there's tons of stuff to do in Yokohama if you don't feel like traveling to Tokyo.

I've stayed at the Ginza Courtyard, Sheraton Miyako, Prince Sakura, and Yokohama Sheraton. Availability is somewhat difficult at the Ginza courtyard, but I would stay at the Sheraton Yokohama over most Tokyo hotels because it's much cheaper.
BCH likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
The last time I was in Tokyo, I stayed at a boutique hotel called the Villa Fontaine in Roppongi. Are there any good Marriott locations that are nearby or in Shibuya?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
The last time I was in Tokyo, I stayed at a boutique hotel called the Villa Fontaine in Roppongi. Are there any good Marriott locations that are nearby or in Shibuya?
I am not sure Villa Fontaine deserves a boutique hotel designation, though the one in Izumi Garden Roppongi is a nicer example of the chain. Which is basically a Japanese style business hotel, the US style Courtyard of Japan. (not the Asian style Courtyard). They are nice, practical, often in good locations, and quite fair price wise.

That all being said, Marriott only has one hotel in the Roppongi area. The Ritz Carlton. While not in Roppongi, the Edition Toranomon is only 15 minutes walk from Roppongi crossing.

There are no Marriott hotels in Shibuya. Though the Westin in Ebisu is only one stop on the train from Shibuya.
El_Chiflero likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.