Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott rises category as long as the owner asking to

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Sheraton in hsinchu,Taiwan moving from Cat3 to cat 4 this month.

4P in Bangkok also rises category recently.

I ask Marriott guest service they said as long as the owner asking for this and if Marriott approved, hotels can moving up category anyway they want.

Is this even legal? I thought category changes happening in the same time once a year.

Is Marriott getting more and more like crappy horrible IHG program?
SoroSuub1 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:34 am

Another hotel that I believe has changed category unannounced

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Sheraton in hsinchu,Taiwan moving from Cat3 to cat 4 this month.

4P in Bangkok also rises category recently.

I ask Marriott guest service they said as long as the owner asking for this and if Marriott approved, hotels can moving up category anyway they want.

Is this even legal? I thought category changes happening in the same time once a year.

the marriott 57 Bangkok I believe has moved from 17.5 to 25k without announcement or chance for us to make bookings.

like Ihg, or one of the monopoly airlines. Yes.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I doubt it as simple as that.
If its true then we should have all tier 8 properties everywhere

I believe there are certain standard/ key performance index that they need to achieve before they can ask to gain category
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
It's very dishonest, but yes, completely legal.

And indeed exactly the same behavior as of IHG.
PointWeasel likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kaizen7

I believe there are certain standard/ key performance index that they need to achieve before they can ask to gain category
Not all hoteliers hate points bookings. It fills otherwise empty rooms. (not everybody trades off points vs. cash) People who are staying "for free" can be tempted to spend more on food and services at the hotel. etc.

Hotels that don't want points bookings tend to play games with standard room definitions, rather than push for an unrealistically high award category.
Fizzer, KRSW, barracuda93 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was always told that SPG categories depended on average room rates (revenue), among other factors of course, while Marriott categories historically largely reflected demand for award stays at the property (nights paid with points, free night certs, and travel package bookings). It's a different philosophy regarding how categories should be defined, with the result that MR had some expensive category properties in popular vacation spots that weren't particularly expensive otherwise and certainly weren't luxurious or high quality as one might assume from their assigned category.
GUWonder and ryw like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I was always told that SPG categories depended on average room rates (revenue), among other factors of course, while Marriott categories historically largely reflected demand for award stays at the property (nights paid with points, free night certs, and travel package bookings). It's a different philosophy regarding how categories should be defined, with the result that MR had some expensive category properties in popular vacation spots that weren't particularly expensive otherwise and certainly weren't luxurious or high quality as one might assume from their assigned category.
Can't imagine so many people redeem nights at cheap and average Aloft Sukhimvit that it drives it's price to Cat. 3, making it extremely poor value, while so few redeem at decent and more expensive Aloft KL that it does down to Cat. 1.
puchong likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Can't imagine so many people redeem nights at cheap and average Aloft Sukhimvit that it drives it's price to Cat. 3, making it extremely poor value, while so few redeem at decent and more expensive Aloft KL that it does down to Cat. 1.
This makes some sense to me as KL is more of a business city while I would think that most visitors to Bangkok would be tourists. Very few people would use points for a business trip, unless possibly they're trying to stay in a better hotel or a better room (suite) than the employer's travel policy would permit (which wouldn't apply to this example).
KRSW and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus

Is it legal? What criminal statute do you think it would violate? Every airline, hotel, car rental, etc. program reserves the right to change the program at any time.

I don't know if they're getting "more and more" like anyone else, but mid-year category changes have happened in small volumes for many, many years at both Marriott and SPG. Two of 7,000+ isn't exactly a tidal wave.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
It's very dishonest, ....but yes, completely legal.
Then what, in your opinion, makes it dishonest?

And indeed exactly the same behavior as of IHG.
And every airline. They all have provisions in the Terms and Conditions which explicitly say that they can change the rules without advance, or even any, notice.

Can't imagine so many people redeem nights at cheap and average Aloft Sukhimvit that it drives it's price to Cat. 3, making it extremely poor value, ....
Many people quite like it.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Then what, in your opinion, makes it dishonest?
1. People earn and buy points having in mind specific redemptions. If prices are inflated randomly, it becomes effectively a cheating. One cannot revert all transactions, turning points back into cash. This is not like money prices inflation, when increase is always slow, gradual and predictable.
As a more obvious case consider a situation when Marriott sells points at 15k for 100 USD, everyone buys in huge volumes, and then Categories prices are doubled. Still legal, right? Do you think this is honest though?

Scheduled devaluations with advance notice are okay, as customers have a chance of getting the value of their points as planned.

2. As long as advance points bookings are possible, as it's the case with Marriott, sudden random devaluations promote speculative bookings. This is bad for everyone.

3. Strange to see you are surprised something can be within the law, yet still dishonest. That's how many things actually work, including advertisements, when implicit promises are made that are not legally binding for the business.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

........Is this even legal? I thought category changes happening in the same time once a year.....
Is there a law in any country which governs how frequent guest program can change redemption categories?
3rdworldresident and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
People earn and buy points having in mind specific redemptions.
Only people who don't read the T&C. No hotel program has ever said that all category changes happen at once. On the contrary, they all state that category changes can happen at any time. It pays to understand the program if you don't want to suffer continuous disappointment.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by TerryK
Is there a law in any country which governs how frequent guest program can change redemption categories?
OP is probably referring to notice and disclosure laws or consumer protection laws. Although I assume all reward programs have disclaimers allowing them to change redemption terms without notice at any time.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kaizen7

Agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.