Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Hakuba - Japan [Master Thread]

Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Cat 4. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...rtyard-hakuba/

"Courtyard by Marriott Hotel Hakuba is at home in the beautiful mountain resort of Hakuba Village. Here, you can enjoy outdoor activities throughout the year from powder snow sports in winter to canoeing, kayaking and mountain trekking in spring, summer and autumn. All 72 guestrooms have been warmly designed using natural materials. One of our more spacious guestrooms measures over 40m2 and is ideal for family use. Another has its own Hakuba hot spring bath. We source all our smooth-textured Hakuba Himekawa hot spring water from the local Himekawa River. Relax in an indoor bath or enjoy an outdoor hot spring amid the natural beauty of the changing seasons. The facilities include a restaurant serving the chef’s signature dishes with a selection of local sake and Shinshu wine, an outdoor hot spring, a fitness center, and banquet and meeting rooms. We are committed to providing services to satisfy guests from all over the world. Rest assured of a pleasant stay where you can fully appreciate the changing seasons."
rny321 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:53 am
kkl

Any reviews for this property?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
The Epic Pass includes 5 days of skiing in Hakuba Valley ski area, so this hotel might be a good option for someone who has that pass and wants to use a Cat 1-4 travel package.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Was trying to book 2 nights in February. "point redemptions not available". 34,000 JPY / night for a Courtyard - amazing!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:30 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by shuuy
Was trying to book 2 nights in February. "point redemptions not available". 34,000 JPY / night for a Courtyard - amazing!
Peak ski period and Chinese new year

They were going for about 22k couple months ago for Feb.

I've got a 3 night awards stay coming up in Feb
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I'm thinking of spending a few days in Hakuba in early March. How convenient is it to go skiing from this hotel?
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:17 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
I'm thinking of spending a few days in Hakuba in early March. How convenient is it to go skiing from this hotel?
Based on TripAdvisor reviews, the property looks pretty good for skiing, even though it's not a ski in/out property:

It's in a great location in Echoland with lots of restaurants and bars within a 5 minute walk. It has a free shuttle right out the front of the hotel that takes you to/from Happo-One and Hakuba47 mountains.

The top of the Hakuba47 ski area is also connected to the Hakuba Goryu ski area, so you can easily access 3 of the 10 Hakuba valley ski areas.
Old May 6, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Stayed recently for one night with family. Used 25K Points at a date where paid rates were around 40,000 Yen for a basic room. Location is convenient for skiing in winter and hiking in summer.

As a big plus for families most rooms at this hotel, including the Japanese Western Superior Basic rooms, have a maximum occupancy of 4 to 5 people. We were upgraded to a Premium room with Onsen, with two single beds and place for two futons. In-room-onsen means that the room has an onsen style bathtub instead of a standard bathtub. Additionally there is also a communal onsen, with a Rotenburo, in the second floor of the hotel, operating from 6:00 to 10:00 and 15:00 to 24:00.

Elite recognition was surprisingly good. Although it’s a Courtyard Plats and above get free buffet breakfast for up to two adults at the Lavarock restaurant worth 3564 Yen per person, additionally to the welcome gift of 500 points or snack and drink amenity. The breakfast buffet was approximately of the same quality as at the other Japanese Mori Trust Marriotts. Further, there is a happy hour in the lobby from 15:00 to 18:00 where elite guests (up to two persons per room) can get free soft drinks, beer and wine.

Would stay again without hesitation when visiting the area again.
Old May 6, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by shonanroger
Stayed recently for one night with family. Used 25K Points at a date where paid rates were around 40,000 Yen for a basic room. Location is convenient for skiing in winter and hiking in summer.

As a big plus for families most rooms at this hotel, including the Japanese Western Superior Basic rooms, have a maximum occupancy of 4 to 5 people. We were upgraded to a Premium room with Onsen, with two single beds and place for two futons. In-room-onsen means that the room has an onsen style bathtub instead of a standard bathtub. Additionally there is also a communal onsen, with a Rotenburo, in the second floor of the hotel, operating from 6:00 to 10:00 and 15:00 to 24:00.

Elite recognition was surprisingly good. Although it’s a Courtyard Plats and above get free buffet breakfast for up to two adults at the Lavarock restaurant worth 3564 Yen per person, additionally to the welcome gift of 500 points or snack and drink amenity. The breakfast buffet was approximately of the same quality as at the other Japanese Mori Trust Marriotts. Further, there is a happy hour in the lobby from 15:00 to 18:00 where elite guests (up to two persons per room) can get free soft drinks, beer and wine.

I'm looking at this place as a base for five nights to explore the region. How convenient is it getting to and from the train/bus stations from the hotel? It seems like a lot of transferring through Matsumoto to get anywhere.
Old May 6, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by Watkin
I'm looking at this place as a base for five nights to explore the region. How convenient is it getting to and from the train/bus stations from the hotel? It seems like a lot of transferring through Matsumoto to get anywhere.
We went by car so can not say for sure. According to the Japanese hotel web site it’s 5 minutes by Taxi to the bus terminal or 10 minutes to the train station. From there it’s either a one hour bus ride to Nagano, or a one to two hour ride by train to Matsumoto or Itoigawa in Niigata Prefecture. But the trains are ver infrequent. ... the location is quite inconvenient without a car if you are planning to explore further than the Hakuba area.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by shonanroger

What are the futon beds like? Were they comfortable? Thanks
Old May 19, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by overbayy
What are the futon beds like? Were they comfortable? Thanks
Standard.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
One of the few Category 4 in Japan

I was worried I might get stuck with my 7 night cert, but found a week around Christmas. Rate is for 2 people it seems, so for our 2 sons it will be an extra 5,000 per person per night, so „70,000. Still, „10,000/night plus the cost of of points I used for the travel package works out to be perhaps „20,000, not bad for a „35,000 room.

Just need to cross my fingers and hope for snow...
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:49 pm

If you don't have the Epic Pass, you can pre order Hakuba lift tickets here.... japanliftpasses.com
Old Mar 22, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
We stayed a week last year in mid-March (7-night cert from travel package nearing its expiration) and enjoyed it a lot, so we booked again this year for 5 nights in early March, paying cash („23,000/night included breakfast and dinner for two). Adding my son to the room was an extra „5.000++ a night, and we had to pay for his meals separately (but his breakfast was free due to my platinum status). Last year we were upgraded from Deluxe to Superior, which was great given we were four. This year the upgrade was from Deluxe to Onsen room, which although sells for more, is actually slightly smaller than Superior. Since the hotel has a nice public bath, the in-room onsen isn't really necessary.

At check-in we were given some local fruit juice. We also had the option of refusing room cleaning for 500points/night.
Last year it was virtually empty as COVID was scaring people away (pre-travel ban though). They were offering an open bar from 3-8pm in lounge for elites and those who opted not to have room cleaning. Not an exciting lineup of booze, just basic low-end spirits, tonic and soda water, and „500 red/white and a sparkling. Knowing this, I bought along a case of craft beer which I shared with a friend who was also staying there. This year the lounge was limited to Plats and above, so my wife and son enjoyed it.

Last year they were serving breakfasts at the table, but this year they had a nice buffet in full swing. Our dinner plan was the Shinshu Grill Combo. The meats changed the first two nights, and then the 3rd night we got something called Magnolia dinner. The last two nights were similar to that.

They have some nice freebies, such as tasty evening ramen in the restaurant and warm sweet potatoes in lounge. For Plats+, a coupon for 30% off food/drink plus a round of free drinks for everyone at the table (5 of us). I had to ask the front desk for the coupon each night, which was odd.

The area is pleasantly wooded and quiet, but a 5-minute walk will get you to the center of Echoland, which has some restaurants, rental gear places and a convenience store. It is 2km from the Panorama Hotel, which is the home of the Baird Beer Hakuba taproom. Great craft beer at very reasonable prices.

The hotel has deals on lift tickets at Goryu/47 and Happone, but what they were offering changes, so best to contact them in advance. Even then, be prepared for changes (they emailed me the 2-day was on sale, but on arrival it wasn't).

There is a shuttle that leaves 3 times in the morning, but we drove the 10 minutes to 47. We also drove 20 minutes to Tsugaike.

All-in-all it is a nice, family-friendly hotel designed for winter sports lovers. The food is good and portions quite generous. Pricewise it is similar to what a nice Japanese 'pension' would charge per person („8,000-12,000). As a category 4 place, it is a pretty good deal if booking with points in the peak season. I chose to pay cash though, as the good rate including meals made sense, and the current Bonvoy double promotions meant that was the smart thing. I earned about 60,000 points on a $1,700 spend. Plus it allowed me to re-qualify for Platinum for 2022-23.

craigthemif likes this.

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Mar 22, 2021 at 9:07 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.