FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Westin Desaru Coast Resort - Malaysia [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1949172-westin-desaru-coast-resort-malaysia-master-thread.html)

SkiAdcock Jan 4, 2019 12:30 pm

Westin Desaru Coast Resort - Malaysia [Master Thread]

Cat 2. Opening Feb '19. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-coast-resort/

"This resort hotel features 275 light and airy guest rooms and suites with thoughtful amenities to ensure a memorable stay. The Westin HeavenlyŽ bed, high speed Internet access, laptop safe, LED TV, work desk and refreshment center lets you stay comfortable and connected throughout your visit. Rooms and suites overlook the South China sea and open coastal views. Food and beverage options include Beach bar, Seasonal Tastes, our all day dining restaurant, Prego, an Italian specialty restaurant and MIX lobby bar.
  • A majority of rooms enjoy expansive sea views
  • All rooms and suites feature spacious balconies and terrace spaces"

Subman Jan 27, 2019 4:40 pm

How can I find contact details for this hotel?
Seems unlikely Feb opening still on track given no booking availability yet?

gummibar Jan 27, 2019 10:13 pm

Website now says Opening in March 2019.

Subman Jan 29, 2019 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by gummibar (Post 30708628)
Website now says Opening in March 2019.

Thanks, was definitely Feb when I looked yesterday!
Any idea how I can find out a front-desk contact?

Subman Feb 14, 2019 3:30 pm

Now delayed until April-19

Taking reservations price at 599MYR including breakfast for two guests.

xexs Feb 24, 2019 8:04 am

a friend of mine said half of the property is still under renovation while
another half seems to be opened?
she was there two weeks ago

jpdx Mar 10, 2019 5:12 am

This place is now showing up bookable (from April onward) on Bonvoy app. Seems in some soft opening phase, with only a handful of room types available. Revenue rates higher than I expected, 650MYR or 12.5k points per night.

Any idea about transport options from Singapore? Ferry+cab or bus to Larkin+bus/cab?

JohnSIN Mar 26, 2019 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by jpdx (Post 30868411)
Any idea about transport options from Singapore? Ferry+cab or bus to Larkin+bus/cab?

If you go from Singapore CBD, say Bugis where the buses to cross the causeway start from, to Larkin, it will take you between 1 to 1h30 minutes, except for peak period.
From there, you are 1 hour drive to Desaru.

When going to Desaru, I prefer to take the ferry from Changi Ferry Terminal to Tanjung Belungkor and have a taxi waiting for me.
Beware that Tanjung Belungkor is in the middle of plantations and there would be no taxi waiting unless you have made prior arrangements.
I had on one occasion arranged for a car that didn't turn up. As it is 30 mins away from Desaru and where the hotels are, it took us an hour to get a replacement.

So in my book, it is Ferry + car. Get the hotel to arrange a car and reconfirm with them prior to your arrival.
The westin website doesn't suggest they offer hotel car and transfer but they would be working with local Taxi driver.

jpdx Mar 27, 2019 3:06 am

That is very useful, thank you! I booked the ferry, but assumed there’d be Grab available on the Malaysian side. I will make sure to pre-arrange a car. Your post might have saved me a lot of hassle. Thanks!

puchong Mar 27, 2019 9:27 am

Originally Posted by jpdx (Post 30934432)
That is very useful, thank you! I booked the ferry, but assumed there’d be Grab available on the Malaysian side. I will make sure to pre-arrange a car. Your post might have saved me a lot of hassle. Thanks!

Do let us know whether you think all this trouble to get there was worth it, especially considering the room rates at the Westin Desaru - Danke

sandyph Mar 27, 2019 8:03 pm

Looks to be a decent redemption hotel at 12500 per night ( same as renaissance JB but at 3x revenue rate)

Though never been to these side of JB before (always stay near immigration), is there anything else to do outside the resort complex?

xar Mar 27, 2019 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by sandyph (Post 30937564)
Looks to be a decent redemption hotel at 12500 per night ( same as renaissance JB but at 3x revenue rate)

Though never been to these side of JB before (always stay near immigration), is there anything else to do outside the resort complex?

Ya i was thinking the same thing too. 12.5k seems to be a good redemption value in comparison to other property's in the area.
For activities i think its either you stay put in the resort to head towards https://desarucoast.com
My current concern is what % of the property is completed. Dont want to book a room and then realise the rest of it are under construction.

nacho Mar 28, 2019 3:19 am

I've booked 3 nights there in April (booked the whole trip at the Ren JB) so I need to decide. My communication to the hotel via messenger is not good - they charge for parking - first it was RM 8/day and now they want RM 5 per entry and it's for guests. I found it nickle and dime because even hotels in KL don't charge for parking. I'm thinking about renting a car to drive around to see things nearby, so every time I go in and out I have to pay RM 5 and to validate my parking everytime I go in and out - that's just ridiculous.

So far my gut feeling tell me to just stay at JB - I still haven't decided.

kodansha999 Apr 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Bad news from the hotel:

"Dear Mr. Kodansha,

I regret to inform you that our owners company and Marriott International HQ has come to an agreement to not open Westin Club here in our resort.
It is a sad news to all of us however the decision has been finalized. "

Not surprised given its a resort and conference hotel.

xar Apr 13, 2019 9:34 am

err so what does this mean? There is no lounge will open here?

Originally Posted by kodansha999 (Post 30990631)
Bad news from the hotel:

"Dear Mr. Kodansha,

I regret to inform you that our owners company and Marriott International HQ has come to an agreement to not open Westin Club here in our resort.
It is a sad news to all of us however the decision has been finalized. "

Not surprised given its a resort and conference hotel.