Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
NYC: St Regis or Ritz Carlton Central Park

Hi.

Looking to use some SPG/Marriott points for a stay in NYC next year.
Want something in a central location, with nice rooms, good service, and all you'd expect from a luxury hotel.
I don't care about spas (plenty of those where I live, if I was interested), and my wife is a foodie, but I just like good food prepared properly, rather than exotic stuff with numerous ingredients.
Want a place where we can relax when not out taking in the sights, so larger and quieter is a plus. I know, it's NY - quiet and roomy aren't what you go there for, but the larger, quieter room is preferred.
I've looked at several sites and most put the St Regis above the Ritz, but others don't. I'm leaning towards the Ritz, but could be swayed.
Any opinions/advice are appreciated.
Thank you.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Hi.

Looking to use some SPG/Marriott points for a stay in NYC next year.
Want something in a central location, with nice rooms, good service, and all you'd expect from a luxury hotel.
I don't care about spas (plenty of those where I live, if I was interested), and my wife is a foodie, but I just like good food prepared properly, rather than exotic stuff with numerous ingredients.
Want a place where we can relax when not out taking in the sights, so larger and quieter is a plus. I know, it's NY - quiet and roomy aren't what you go there for, but the larger, quieter room is preferred.
I've looked at several sites and most put the St Regis above the Ritz, but others don't. I'm leaning towards the Ritz, but could be swayed.
Any opinions/advice are appreciated.
Thank you.
As an SPG Platinum I have been treated very nicely at the STR. As a Marriott Platinum I have been treated as everybody else at the Ritz. They treat everyone nice, of course, just think if you have status STR is better, They had a wonderful breakfast.
3rdworldresident and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
I am SPG Gold, which will be gold elite with Marriott, I believe. No status, no stays at any Marriott or Ritz, previously.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
They are both nice so you can't go wrong, but I prefer the St. Regis because the rooms are nicer. The Ritz rooms are fine, but the St. Regis rooms seem better maintained.

The park view at the Ritz is pretty special though if you're able to snag a park view room.
3rdworldresident and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:00 am

I was in the same boat between these two properties a while ago. First off, what I noticed is that there is still a big currency conversion disparity/abitrage opportunity between the two. They're considered comparables on paper, but you're talking 70k MR for the Ritz or 35K Starwood for the STR, which is the equivalent of course of 105K MR points. So if you have opportunity cost for these points do keep this in mind - there is a very significant cost gap between the two.

What I ended up actually doing, though, was booking the JW Essex House at 45K points. The value was just too good to pass up. Got a suite upgrade, enjoyed the very nice lounge, and couldn't beat the location. I just couldn't bring myself to spend 25K more points to be a nobody at the Ritz, or 60K more points (equivalent) for the St. Regis.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:07 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The StR NYC is one of the best hotels in the world, a true polished testament to how and why the StR brand overall has expanded so quickly and successfully around the world. The RC is a 5 star hotel, but it isn't in quite the same league as the StR.

As someone who just stayed at the StR NYC in March 2018 and will return in March 2019, I can say that it's the equal of any top city hotel anywhere in the world--as long as you don't require a pool. Service is world class, as is the food/beverage. The RC, while excellent, isn't quite in the same league in either department.

The StR is recently refurbished and is in world class condition. The RC is just coming out of a refurbishment to bring it to standard.

The StR offers butler service, which puts it above almost any Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons, or Ritz Carlton in my estimation. The butler service includes unpacking and packing services, something that makes it spectacularly wonderful for me. It also includes daily complimentary coffee/tea service, which we love—and which occasionally has been granted even more than once daily. It also includes complimentary shoe shine and complimentary pressing of 2 garments per person daily, something we often take advantage of. Beyond that, butler service is very butler and location dependent. In some locations, we’ve had a butler available almost exclusively for us (Bora Bora, Princeville, and Punta Mita). In some locations, we’ve had butlers who’ve done some special things for us, like sew something/repair clothing (Rome and Atlanta), pick up new clothes from shops (Rome and Mexico City), arrange private excursion with someone special (San Francisco and New York and soon in Florence this fall), etc.

Butler service as a brand standard for St Regis is one of the most wonderful and yet undervalued benefits. I miss it every time I’m at an Aman, Pen, MO, FS, RC, or even the Luxury Collection hotels that don’t have butler service. Butler service is the reason I'd pick any StR over any RC--especially since I could care less about the RC Club.

The StR King Cole Bar is a visit unto itself. There are few hotels in the world that can compete with the history and legacy of this bar.

We don't like the more traditional decor of the StR and yet had an exquisite and very comfortable stay in the upgraded Astor Suite. But it was incredibly spacious, shockingly comfortable, and had the best of all amenities and decor. We ended up loving it despite the decor not being more modern. The RC is traditional but not particularly modern. The RC feels safe. The StR is more of a statement. You know you're in New York when you're at the St Regis New York. The RC doesn't offer the same sense of New York place--unless perhaps if you have that wonderful Park view!

There's a reason the StR is favored by most. Whether it's worth it to you, only you can say.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
For NYC standards, the minimum size rooms at both the Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis are spacious. 425-430 sq. ft.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:25 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We really loved our stay at the StR NYC in March and plan to make an annual visit. The service was exemplary, the hotel is beautiful and the location is great.

As a head's up- make sure to take advantage of the freebies you get to come out ahead on the destination charge:

Destination Fee

Please note, a $50 USD daily Destination Fee is added to your stay per night that includes a $50 F&B credit available in all outlets, $50 laundry/dry cleaning credit, $25 Fodera Hair Salon credit, free HSIA, local, long distance, and international calls (unlimited), two (2) museum tickets per day (valued at $25 each) to be used at the Museum of Modern Art or the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and 1,000 SPG points per day.

We used the Food and Beverage credit every day. We also took advantage of the dry cleaning and museum tickets. I never visited the Salon on that trip but plan to on the next.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by damon88
We really loved our stay at the StR NYC in March and plan to make an annual visit. The service was exemplary, the hotel is beautiful and the location is great.

As a head's up- make sure to take advantage of the freebies you get to come out ahead on the destination charge:

Destination Fee

Please note, a $50 USD daily Destination Fee is added to your stay per night that includes a $50 F&B credit available in all outlets, $50 laundry/dry cleaning credit, $25 Fodera Hair Salon credit, free HSIA, local, long distance, and international calls (unlimited), two (2) museum tickets per day (valued at $25 each) to be used at the Museum of Modern Art or the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and 1,000 SPG points per day.

We used the Food and Beverage credit every day. We also took advantage of the dry cleaning and museum tickets. I never visited the Salon on that trip but plan to on the next.
I wonder if the 1,000 SPG points per day has recently been dropped? It is not listed on their website.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Wow. Maybe I should look at the St R again. Any Ritz fans out there?
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:08 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by controller1
I wonder if the 1,000 SPG points per day has recently been dropped? It is not listed on their website.
Im sure the impending new Marriott Loyalty Program start on Aug. 18 has something to do with it...along with the fact that Starpoints wont exist after Aug. 17.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I have stayed at both of these properties. If you can get a room at the Ritz overlooking central park, that may be worthwhile as a pied a terre. From a pure experience, there isn't a contest here -- St. Regis blows it out of the water. They seemed to turn the jets back on a couple of years ago and all of my stays there -- plat, gold, whatever, have been simply phenomenal. Unfortunately the BAR has drifted above my company's policy so have to spend my time elsewhere...
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I would take the St. Regis because it's the original that spawned the rest of a wonderful brand and culture. RCs seem rather soulless in comparison.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Well, I have booked both, for different weeks. Will keep the one that fits my needs better, if I can't change dates on the other.
But it sure sounds like the St Regis is the better property.
I will be using points, and I was SPG Gold. Marriott currently showing Platinum Elite.
So I doubt I'd get a park view room at the Ritz. Based on my status, is St Regis still the best option?

thank you!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Well, I have booked both, for different weeks. Will keep the one that fits my needs better, if I can't change dates on the other.
But it sure sounds like the St Regis is the better property.
I will be using points, and I was SPG Gold. Marriott currently showing Platinum Elite.
So I doubt I'd get a park view room at the Ritz. Based on my status, is St Regis still the best option?

thank you!
I think you'll be treated quite well at StR and normally at the RC.
bhrubin likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.