Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sublunary
I'm deciding between the AC Times Square and the Westin Times Square for an overnight stay after a Broadway show. As a Platinum elite member my primary concerns are a good breakfast, potential for upgrade or early check-in, and overall quality of the property and rooms. Has anyone stayed at these properties recently and could recommend either one?
Originally Posted by helvetic
AC is far far far better.
Eh... The AC is definitely newer, and the aesthetic is cleaner and more modern. But all the rooms at the AC are basically the same—the only differences are the floor and potential view. Also, the AC (as far as I know) gives a $10 F&B credit, not breakfast. Further, I'd say the Westin has a marginally better location, as the A/C/E subway stop is literally steps from the front entrance; the AC is a couple of blocks south on 8th. Finally, this is a personal thing, but I really am not a huge fan of the comforters at Marriott's limited-service hotels—the Westin beds and comforters in my opinion remain among the best in the industry.

Ultimately, I think it depends on what you're looking for. AC is not a full service hotel; the Westin is. The AC is newer and more modern, but because the rooms are basically identical except for high floor, upgrade potential is limited.

Watch out for the destination fee at the Westin.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 31, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
SpringHill Suites Times Square South

Stayed at the new SpringHill Suites Times Square South on W 36 St for 1 night during the week. They’ve only been open for 4 weeks. I really liked the newness Of the property and that it hadn’t been beat to death — there are so many worn out hotels in NY.

Check-in was at 2:30am and they took a while to do it. No recognition as a Titanium, other than being thanks for “being a Bonvoy member.” No upgrade and was offered points or a coupon for the market.

Room was small, as to be expected, but very functional. They even managed to cram a (very small) sofa in the room and had clearly been very thoughtful about the layout and furniture. It would be a challenge for more than one person to be in the bathroom, but I appreciated that the shower was big and comfortable. One downside was that the sink was very small and there was not much place to put toiletries. There was only one hook in the bathroom as well.

Breakfast was low quality, but slightly better than what you would expect for a SpringHill/Fairfield. Eggs, sausage patties (which looked like wood chips), bacon, lots of bread choices, Chobani, melons, fresh strawberries, coffee was actually decent. It looked like they were getting some kind of brand/onsite inspection while we were there — so everyone was on their toes.

There was a long line at check out and generally the front desk staff seemed slow, but were very pleasant.

Location was ok.

Overall, I would definitely return. It’s a new hotel, clean and modern, that has been thoughtfully put together. And I appreciated things like fresh strawberries at breakfast instead of just the typical powdered eggs and unripe chopped melon.
dagangwood likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by KRSW
The RI Midtown East has been our go-to for NYC for the past 3 or so years. Very good every time. Rooms are spacious by NYC standards, manager seems to be on top of the place.

Others nearby:
The Lexington (right next door to the RI Midtown East): Beautiful art deco hotel in need of a complete gut and has needed a complete gut for 10+ years. Rooms can be tiny, some aren't too bad. Housekeeping & service is spotty at best. HVAC unpredictable. F&B is an avoid at all costs -- there's a nice bodega across the street.
IC Barclay -- This used to be our main hotel until the renovation. Yes, the old design wasn't trendy & hip, but it was still very comfortable, well-maintained, and service was good. Only been back once since the renovation. Not a fan. Prices got a healthy boost post-reno as well.

RI Times Square -- Should be called RI Bryant Park, not Times Square, but that's a good thing. Busy hotel, rooms are a bit smaller but serviceable. Location is great and it's much quieter than being in the middle of Times Square. I've been staying here for 15(?) years now. The RI Midtown gets my first vote, but if that's not open, I'll often take this one instead.
I would love to stay at one of these Residence Inns but, using points none have 2 doubles available. So annoying when properties only offer Kings/Queens for points and withhold all doubles.
Meanwhile currently booked using points in the Sheraton Times Sq. I don't hate it as much as others.

I wonder, does anyone know of a 35,000 per night property in NYC that they prefer over the Sheraton Times Sq? Room size and gym are of most importance. Midtown, Chelsea, Soho neighborhoods preferred (no wall st). I liked the look of the Courtyard Soho on Varick Street... but got scared off by noise complaints due to tunnel entrance. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
So annoying when properties only offer Kings/Queens for points and withhold all doubles.
lol I would say exactly the opposite. Guess it depends on perspective.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sublunary
I'm deciding between the AC Times Square and the Westin Times Square for an overnight stay after a Broadway show. As a Platinum elite member my primary concerns are a good breakfast, potential for upgrade or early check-in, and overall quality of the property and rooms. Has anyone stayed at these properties recently and could recommend either one?
Originally Posted by helvetic
AC is far far far better.
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Eh... The AC is definitely newer, and the aesthetic is cleaner and more modern. But all the rooms at the AC are basically the same—the only differences are the floor and potential view. Also, the AC (as far as I know) gives a $10 F&B credit, not breakfast. Further, I'd say the Westin has a marginally better location, as the A/C/E subway stop is literally steps from the front entrance; the AC is a couple of blocks south on 8th. Finally, this is a personal thing, but I really am not a huge fan of the comforters at Marriott's limited-service hotels—the Westin beds and comforters in my opinion remain among the best in the industry.

Ultimately, I think it depends on what you're looking for. AC is not a full service hotel; the Westin is. The AC is newer and more modern, but because the rooms are basically identical except for high floor, upgrade potential is limited.

Watch out for the destination fee at the Westin.
Haven't stayed in the AC due to reviews that suggest rooms the size of cubicles have scared me off (despite being a big fan of AC hotels when I travel to Europe).

I will stick up for the Westin here (though in full transparency my corporate rate specifically excludes the destination fee and even if included I didn't pay for it) -- my last stay here (Jan 2019) was as a then Platinum Elite (before Titanium became a thing and it seemed like Platinum was Platinum) and they gave me a great upgrade to a high floor with a nice view. No lounge so the offer is breakfast which I declined since I was only there for one night and was just grabbing SB on the way to a meeting.

Westin is quite convenient to the subway and easy walking distance to a bunch of good restaurants in Hell's Kitchen and Midtown West (aka not in Times Square).

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Westin again over the AC -- and will make that same choice the next time I'm in NYC for business due to my reticence about the AC room size (though my last NYC stay was the Courtyard Herald Square because I needed to be near Grand Central and I liked that hotel quite a lot).

That said maybe someone on this forum will convince me to try the AC one day and I'll end up with a different POV but until then Westin > AC.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
I wonder, does anyone know of a 35,000 per night property in NYC that they prefer over the Sheraton Times Sq?
The Viceroy on 57th just reflagged to become Le Meridien Central Park. Might be worth looking at. No trip reports are in. It's a Category 5 hotel at inception.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 11:56 pm

I would love to stay at one of these Residence Inns but, using points none have 2 doubles available. So annoying when properties only offer Kings/Queens for points and withhold all doubles.
Meanwhile currently booked using points in the Sheraton Times Sq. I don't hate it as much as others.

I wonder, does anyone know of a 35,000 per night property in NYC that they prefer over the Sheraton Times Sq? Room size and gym are of most importance. Midtown, Chelsea, Soho neighborhoods preferred (no wall st). I liked the look of the Courtyard Soho on Varick Street... but got scared off by noise complaints due to tunnel entrance. Any thoughts?
I thought the RI over on Lexington had standard rooms with two beds, no? I believe the Four Points TS also has standard rooms with doubles, although I'm not sure I'd choose the Four Points over the Sheraton (although I might be in the minority in that I'm not a fan of the Four Points).
Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by dgreen12
The Viceroy on 57th just reflagged to become Le Meridien Central Park. Might be worth looking at. No trip reports are in. It's a Category 5 hotel at inception.
I have a (cash) reservation for the end of the month and am looking forward to checking it out. I'm not sure there are standard rooms with 2 beds, though, since the double rooms appear to be an extra 100 sq. ft.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
lol I would say exactly the opposite. Guess it depends on perspective.
You find it annoying when you have a choice between a king or two doubles???
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by dgreen12
No double bed rooms avail on points

I thought the RI over on Lexington had standard rooms with two beds, no? I believe the Four Points TS also has standard rooms with doubles, although I'm not sure I'd choose the Four Points over the Sheraton (although I might be in the minority in that I'm not a fan of the Four Points).
The RI has them, but they are charging $100 USD per day to get it, in addition to points. So $500 USD for a 5 night stay. No thanks.

I have a (cash) reservation for the end of the month and am looking forward to checking it out. I'm not sure there are standard rooms with 2 beds, though, since the double rooms appear to be an extra 100 sq. ft.
Correct, no double rooms.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
No. We mean when there is only one choice. I am perturbed all these hotels offer no 2 double bed choices and Kacee was perturbed when there are no single bed choices avail with points.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
How on earth did you reach that conclusion?

When properties only offer two beds on points.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
How on earth did you reach that conclusion?

When properties only offer two beds on points.
he wasn't upset that Kings were being offered. He was upset that ONLY kings were being offered and that doubles were withheld. He wasn't suggesting that the solution to his issue would be to withhold kings. He wasn't ... missing perspective.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:08 am

No. We mean when there is only one choice.
Right, so Kaycee is in agreement with you, not in opposition
Old Jun 2, 2019, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best NYC Property for Free Night Redemption?

I need to use the annual free night certificate from my SPG Amex card. It looks like there are lots of Category 4-5 hotels available in NYC the weekend we are going (Labor Day, for the US Open) at only about $220/night. What's the best property along or near 42nd St (so we can hop on the 7 train to Flushing easily)?

I have silver status, so the usual elite perks don't really apply to me. Just looking for a cool hotel that has been renovated semi-recently but it'll mostly be a place to sleep.

Looks like there are a couple of Residence Inns, the Moxy, AC Hotel, Westin Times Sq, and a few more. I guess I'd prefer something towards the East Side to reduce time spent on the train, but it doesn't matter too much. Thanks for any ideas.

edit: based on this thread it seems people tend to like the Residence Inn Midtown East, so I booked that but could always switch if there's a better option. Since I don't have the status to worry about breakfast or lounge or upgrades, I don't think it much matters.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Jun 2, 2019 at 11:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.