Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:46 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Ramonmv
Well, I have booked both, for different weeks. Will keep the one that fits my needs better, if I can't change dates on the other.
But it sure sounds like the St Regis is the better property.
I will be using points, and I was SPG Gold. Marriott currently showing Platinum Elite.
So I doubt I'd get a park view room at the Ritz. Based on my status, is St Regis still the best option?

thank you!
You’re going to love the St Regis. You’re going to wish you had stayed longer and more often there. Youre going to wish you didn’t bother with the RC. You’re going to realize that there’s a reason everyone here told you that, too.
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Well, I have decided on the St Regis, and have it booked for the dates I need. I got lucky, and one of my reservations covered the dates I ended up wanting.
Now to go ask about San Diego....

Thank you everyone!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy P, HHonors Dia, Hyatt Disc, FPC, Alaskan, Hawaiian, AA, United, Elevate, Amex
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I was in the same boat between these two properties a while ago. First off, what I noticed is that there is still a big currency conversion disparity/abitrage opportunity between the two. They're considered comparables on paper, but you're talking 70k MR for the Ritz or 35K Starwood for the STR, which is the equivalent of course of 105K MR points. So if you have opportunity cost for these points do keep this in mind - there is a very significant cost gap between the two.

What I ended up actually doing, though, was booking the JW Essex House at 45K points. The value was just too good to pass up. Got a suite upgrade, enjoyed the very nice lounge, and couldn't beat the location. I just couldn't bring myself to spend 25K more points to be a nobody at the Ritz, or 60K more points (equivalent) for the St. Regis.
Currently, either is 60k points per night, or 48k/night when you stay 5 nights. So easy win for St Regis. (Both now use the same Marriott points) 48k Marriott pts/night after SPG points were converted means I'm paying just 16k SPG points/night for 5 nights.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably jumping in late, but thought I’d give some perspective on the Ritz. Unfortunately I’ve never stayed at the StR (and frankly don’t get the fuss about the King Cole Bar...I think the Ritz bar/lounge area is just as lovely).

Anyway, stayed twice at the Ritz on points both times, but I guess the catch is the first time was for my wedding and the second time for my anniversary one year later.

We were treated exceptionally well. As Marriott Gold, booking in the lowest category (room facing the back street I believe), you can get a space-available upgrade to a room facing 6th Ave, which should have partial park views. For the wedding weekend I wanted something more special and we paid $100/night to guarantee the upgrade to a park view room, facing the park (unforunately it was on the 3rd floor so not all that much of a view...). For the anniversary weekend (one night) the website was (oddly) only offering the base level room plus Club access (for $200). Figured what the heck. We ended up getting upgraded to a park view room, this time on the 10th floor. And they had a framed picture of us in the room along with our wedding song playing on the stereo when we got to the room. ^ (Which was unexpected, almost more so than the various decorations the year before for our actual wedding stay).

As far as the rooms - yes, they’re being upgraded. I would say the decor is a bit dated but everything was in totally fine condition, and as someone posted, the room was a very good size, especially for New York. And great water pressure in the shower!

As for the Club lounge - that was a fantastic experience. I don’t think it’s necessarily worth the money if you’re going to be out and about, but our anniversary stay was effectively a “staycation” and we only left the hotel briefly Saturday night for dinner out. So we spent plenty of time in the lounge, including every food setup (b’fast, lunch, tea, cocktail hour, dessert), including the Saturday night caviar special. And we arranged for the chefs demonstration, which was great and got us lots of additional tasty treats.

Anyway, the St. Regis may be a step above, but I definitely have a soft spot for the RC!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.8MM, UA 1k, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Having stayed at both on points I could the STR much better. Was even upgraded to a crazy suite. As for the Ritz I didn’t find it worth the extra points and on my last trip booked the JW Essex with points into a suite which was a very nice room.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:13 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Thanks, @ijgordon!

I loved the St Regis and think it’s one of the best hotels in NYC. But it sounds like the RC Central Park treated you beautifully for your anniversary. Good for you!

I still think the StR is the better hotel. But it’s nice to know that the RC can step up to that level when appropriate.

Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:39 pm

Stayed many times at StR. every single stay was exceptional. Always upgraded to large suite. My last stay was upgraded to 5th Ave suite. I would recommend you try the StR.
I never stayed at the RC Central park. I hear and read great things about it. I will try the RC when my travels brings me to NYC.

Enjoy your trip
Old Oct 27, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador

Hi

I am going to New York City for a weekend in Spring 2019 as a treat for a family member. I have some Marriott points that I can use - I am looking for advice for the best hotel to stay in as a tourist and for redeeming points.

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Since it is only for a weekend and you did not get into any specifics on what you are most interested in seeing/doing. I am going to go with Westin Grand central. Good location with fairly large rooms for New York. Nothing fancy though since I figure you will be making the most of your limited time and just using the room as a place to sleep.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Thanks, to be honest our itinerary is not yet planned, but probably looking to do the main tourist sites (statue of liberty etc) and see a broadway show - any suggestions on this front would also be great!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
Originally Posted by dycc
Thanks, to be honest our itinerary is not yet planned, but probably looking to do the main tourist sites (statue of liberty etc) and see a broadway show - any suggestions on this front would also be great!
So one day you can do Statue of Liberty early and since you will then be in battery park area you can see WTC, Empire State Building, financial district. I would recommend Empire State Building at night. Day two you can do Times Square, Rockefeller, Central Park and a show in the evening. That should knock out most of the touristy stuff. In between you can check out little Italy, China town etc. I recommend getting Statue of Liberty tickets early if you want to go up to the top or the pedestal. They sell out quickly.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
There is, of course, an extensive thread on this that you might want to review ...
Old Oct 27, 2018, 3:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dycc
Hi

I am going to New York City for a weekend in Spring 2019 as a treat for a family member. I have some Marriott points that I can use - I am looking for advice for the best hotel to stay in as a tourist and for redeeming points.

Thanks
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
There is, of course, an extensive thread on this that you might want to review ...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...hreads-61.html
Old Oct 28, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Why not a Fairfield or a R.I. in order to get the free breakfast? If you have the points, I'd pick a R. I.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP really should help us helping him/her by doing some homework and being more specific. Even Manhattan has a lot of to cover from Statue of Liberty in lower Manhattan to Columbia University in the north. The subway has a lot of constructions during the weekend.

I think the best redemption values are in lower Manhattan (or the outer boroughs or New Jersey) but you kind of lose the proximity to midtown stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.