Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
the Edition may reopen, they are taking reservations starting in mid October.
I drove by the entrance a couple days ago. There is a metal barrier blocking it, but otherwise it looks normal. All the signage is still up.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I'm honestly a bit surprised to see the W Downtown and the NY Marriott East Side on the permanent closure list.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
I'm honestly a bit surprised to see the W Downtown and the NY Marriott East Side on the permanent closure list.
Me too for the W. As a side note, I was in Philly yesterday at the Ritz and I saw the new W next door is almost ready to open. The work crews are doing the finishing work and the W website says it will open this December. I guess it ultimately depends on the property owners and what they want to do.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Me too for the W. As a side note, I was in Philly yesterday at the Ritz and I saw the new W next door is almost ready to open. The work crews are doing the finishing work and the W website says it will open this December. I guess it ultimately depends on the property owners and what they want to do.
Interesting. Here they're saying February.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
Interesting. Here they're saying February.
Here says December. And you can book it now through the normal engine for December, January, etc. https://w-hotels.marriott.com/destinations/

Looks like $257 for an average weeknight mid-January.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I always thought that property was a questionable proposition even pre-pandemic - is there really demand for a hotel trying to brand itself as exclusive/luxury right on the doorstep of the Times Square madness? I sure don't think so, and based on their rates pre-pandemic, it seems the market agreed: they were rarely commanding higher rates than the nearby W, Ren, Marquis, etc , and were always well less than St Regis, Chatwal, and Essex House.
Pre-pandemic, there were quite a few high end corporations with offices within walking distance. eg fashion media, private banks, etc. Plus high end tourists who really love Broadway shows, and the small number of interesting restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

The market used to be large enough to support oddballs like this... right now, though, not so much...
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i was booked at the element times square for a stay last week but they have closed for the foreseeable future so i had to shift my stay to the towneplace suites....the hotel was sold out during my stay but they were selling rooms for as little as $55 a night to make sure rooms don't go unsold....
Old Oct 11, 2020, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
looking for suggestions for an upcoming 3 night stay at the end of the month....my client's office is on 41st & broadway so i need to stay in midtown close to the times square area....

i have 3 cat 5 certs expiring on the 31st of january 2021 so was looking to use them up during this trip....i know i can request to have these extended by a few months but i don't really see myself taking a vacation for the foreseeable future so its unlikely that i would be able to make good use of these certs before they eventually expire....

thanks to the week of wonders promo, there are currently a few properties in midtown that are available at off peak pointsavers so i can use the 35k certs for them....these are:

1. residence inn new york manhattan/midtown east - i've never stayed here before....this property seems to be the furthest from times square which is a positive....it would be good to keep away from crowded areas at this time....
2. sheraton new york times square hotel - i've stayed here dozens of times but my last stay was over 5 years ago....i've always found this hotel to be too busy but these days it probably would be less crowded....
3. moxy nyc chelsea - i've never stayed at this particular moxy before but i have at a couple of other moxy properties in nyc....the rooms are small but besides that point i've never had a bad stay at a moxy....

i currently have a revenue booking at the westin new york at times square....i could always just keep that but in all probability my certs will expire unless i use them here....
Old Oct 11, 2020, 8:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'd probably stick with the Westin. Under no circumstances go to the Sheraton, and you presumably know what you get with a Moxy, so that's up to you.
River in Sight and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Keyser
looking for suggestions for an upcoming 3 night stay at the end of the month....my client's office is on 41st & broadway so i need to stay in midtown close to the times square area....

i have 3 cat 5 certs expiring on the 31st of january 2021 so was looking to use them up during this trip....i know i can request to have these extended by a few months but i don't really see myself taking a vacation for the foreseeable future so its unlikely that i would be able to make good use of these certs before they eventually expire....

thanks to the week of wonders promo, there are currently a few properties in midtown that are available at off peak pointsavers so i can use the 35k certs for them....these are:

1. residence inn new york manhattan/midtown east - i've never stayed here before....this property seems to be the furthest from times square which is a positive....it would be good to keep away from crowded areas at this time....
2. sheraton new york times square hotel - i've stayed here dozens of times but my last stay was over 5 years ago....i've always found this hotel to be too busy but these days it probably would be less crowded....
3. moxy nyc chelsea - i've never stayed at this particular moxy before but i have at a couple of other moxy properties in nyc....the rooms are small but besides that point i've never had a bad stay at a moxy....

i currently have a revenue booking at the westin new york at times square....i could always just keep that but in all probability my certs will expire unless i use them here....
What is "busy" in Manhattan now is not what was "busy" in pre-pandemic Manhattan. Arguably, Times Square is one of the least busy parts of the city, excepting maybe some parts of the outer boroughs. There are few tourists, and few office workers.

I'm at the Ren Chelsea right now (cat 6, but also really low cash rates) and can see the Moxy from my window. The Moxy was surprisingly full last night (Sunday night before Columbus Day), I'd say 50 - 65% of the rooms had lights on in the evening. Midweek might actually be less busy, I get the sense there's a fair amount of "let's go into the city for the weekend" traffic happening from the nearby suburbs. Times Square might also be less busy, because the Bridges and Tunnels crowd tend to head towards downtown locations.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
What is "busy" in Manhattan now is not what was "busy" in pre-pandemic Manhattan. Arguably, Times Square is one of the least busy parts of the city, excepting maybe some parts of the outer boroughs. There are few tourists, and few office workers.

I'm at the Ren Chelsea right now (cat 6, but also really low cash rates) and can see the Moxy from my window. The Moxy was surprisingly full last night (Sunday night before Columbus Day), I'd say 50 - 65% of the rooms had lights on in the evening. Midweek might actually be less busy, I get the sense there's a fair amount of "let's go into the city for the weekend" traffic happening from the nearby suburbs. Times Square might also be less busy, because the Bridges and Tunnels crowd tend to head towards downtown locations.
i was in manhattan a couple of weeks ago & while the times square area was nowhere near as busy as it used to be pre-covid, it was still busy enough....

i won't be there over the weekend as my stay is from monday - thursday so i'm expecting it to be less busy....i'm thinking that i will either just leave my booking as is at the westin or stay at the residence inn midtown east....the advantage of the residence inn would be that the room size will be larger & i would have the kitchenette in the room....i don't plan on venturing out too much besides the time i have to be out of the hotel for work so the extra space would be good since i would be spending more time in the hotel than i normally would....also, having the kitchen in the room would also be helpful since i don't want to eat out too much....
Old Oct 12, 2020, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Keyser
the advantage of the residence inn would be that the room size will be larger & i would have the kitchenette in the room....
Hope for an upgrade, because the base rooms are listed at 200-220 sq. ft.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Hope for an upgrade, because the base rooms are listed at 200-220 sq. ft.
even if i don't get an upgrade, i have the ability to upgrade to a larger studio for $30 a night....
Old Oct 12, 2020, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by bennos

How was the Ren Chelsea? They were closed for awhile. Do they have any rooms that are a worthwhile upgrade? Hotel has a great location even if amenities are limited.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines 100K MVP, Oneworld Emerald, Marriott Titanium
I stayed at the Renaissance Chelsea for five nights in late August. Rooms are small but comfortable. The showers are a little funky but the bed and linens are very high-quality. During my stay, service was very limited. I would stay there again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.