Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 2:56 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
The Aloft LIC is quite decent and can sometimes be had under $100.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 4:07 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Booked Renaissance downtown with points.

I hope i’ve made good choice
Old Apr 29, 2019, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
The Maxwell is a horrible dump. They rarely upgrade. Even someone who stays in mostly backpacker hostels wouldn't call t\heir version of a suite a suite. The breakfast is awful. Avoid.
Respectfully disagree on the above; although can't comment on the breakfast.

As I mentioned above, had several good suite upgrades there. Considering Manhattan room sizes, very solid.

It needs some paint, and something to replace Whisky Blue; but far, far from a dump.

Last edited by wsm007; Apr 29, 2019 at 3:36 pm Reason: edited for grammar clarity.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by wsm007
Respectfully disagree on the above; although can't comment on the breakfast.

As I mentioned above, had several good suite upgrades there. Considering Manhattan room sizes, very solid.

It needs some paint, and something to replace Whisky Blue; but far, far from a dump.
This is what a suite looks like at the Maxwell. I stand by my statement, absolute dump.

Also, there are very few suites and you'll have to fight them tooth and nail to even get the sorry excuse for a suite upgrade.

I've gotten the presidential suite here as service recovery and it wasn't much better in terms of upkeep, though at least finally had some space. A painting fell off the wall 3 times in our 3 day stay… it was held up by dried up double sided tape.

The audio equipment in the room was missing all its cabling and entirely non-functional.
Attached Images    
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
@helvetic...those pics do NOT look good however I've stayed at the Maxwell and it definitely wouldn't be my first choice in NYC (and I think most here would agree) but I think we can all search for broken or dirty things in a hotel room to complain about if that is our intention. Again...not one of the better options but considering the price offered it can be an ok stay. Marriott East Side and Lexington which are right there also get mixed reviews and I just had a stay at the Lexington that was better than a lot of other hotels I've stayed at in NYC.

Last edited by christianj; Apr 30, 2019 at 6:13 am
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:10 pm

i think ill settle for Sheraton Tribeca. They have 1 suite. my odds are against getting that suite but lets see how that goes...
Old Apr 30, 2019, 12:40 pm

Sorry you've had such bad experiences there. My list of bad experiences at the Westin GC just down the street is likely just as long. I find that place much more "dump-ish" than the Maxwell. YMMV!
Old May 1, 2019, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by christianj
@helvetic...those pics do NOT look good however I've stayed at the Maxwell and it definitely wouldn't be my first choice in NYC (and I think most here would agree) but I think we can all search for broken or dirty things in a hotel room to complain about if that is our intention. Again...not one of the better options but considering the price offered it can be an ok stay. Marriott East Side and Lexington which are right there also get mixed reviews and I just had a stay at the Lexington that was better than a lot of other hotels I've stayed at in NYC.
I guarantee you I didn't make a new reservation and teleport myself to NYC to take those pictures. Something has to be pretty wrong with a hotel for me to have pictures of the state of disrepair already saved on my phone from a previous visit. I live in hotels pretty much full time, and I can guarantee you the Maxwell is one of the only properties where that's the case.

Why won't people just accept that this place is terrible and stop making excuses for it?

I've stayed at the Lexington too and while it's a rather dingy hotel, it at least seems better maintained than the Maxwell.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 1, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by helvetic
Why won't people just accept that this place is terrible and stop making excuses for it?
I don't think people are making excuses for the hotel. We are just saying that it is average at best and definitely has issues but that it is not a dump. YYMV of course as we can see from your experience. I had a room like that at the Westin TS where the wallpaper was peeling off the walls, carpet were stained and the bathroom mirror was chipped but reality is that is one room and not representative of all the rooms. Sure it gives a picture of how upkeep is handled at the hotel but most NYC hotel rooms have some damage due to the constant turnover of guest and the hotels dragging out renovations because they don't want to forgo the revenue for the rooms while they are being renovated.

I've definitely learned that if I want high-end in a big tourist city that I need to be willing to pay for it. If I want a reasonably priced room I have to be willing to sometimes accept "average" as ok.
wsm007 likes this.

Last edited by christianj; May 1, 2019 at 5:47 am
Old May 1, 2019, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
I don't think people are making excuses for the hotel. We are just saying that it is average at best and definitely has issues but that it is not a dump. YYMV of course as we can see from your experience. I had a room like that at the Westin TS where the wallpaper was peeling off the walls, carpet were stained and the bathroom mirror was chipped but reality is that is one room and not representative of all the rooms. Sure it gives a picture of how upkeep is handled at the hotel but most NYC hotel rooms have some damage due to the constant turnover of guest and the hotels dragging out renovations because they don't want to forgo the revenue for the rooms while they are being renovated.

I've definitely learned that if I want high-end in a big tourist city that I need to be willing to pay for it. If I want a reasonably priced room I have to be willing to sometimes accept "average" as ok.
I didn't say the Westin TS wasn't a dump too, it absolutely is.

Just because the standards in NYC are low and there are many dumpy hotels in town doesn't make the Maxwell individually any less of a dump.
Old May 1, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
Midtown?

Which would be the best midtown cat 5 hotel for Marriott?
Old May 1, 2019, 11:57 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by tdrag97
They're all relatively uninspiring. But if I had to choose, I'd probably choose the Residence Inn Central Park, based on its location (Broadway & 54th) and views.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by tdrag97
just finished a 5 night stay at the courtyard herald square....pretty decent stay....was upgraded to a corner room, which was quite big, given the tiny rooms i normally end up getting in nyc....bathroom was a bit on the smaller side though....

my reason for staying here was because it was one block from my client's office but location is right opposite macy's so that might be appealing to tourists....

breakfast was good every morning, staff members were pleasant, location was decent & room size was good....i would not hesitate to stay here again....
tdrag97 and Duke787 like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
They're all relatively uninspiring. But if I had to choose, I'd probably choose the Residence Inn Central Park, based on its location (Broadway & 54th) and views.
Originally Posted by Keyser
just finished a 5 night stay at the courtyard herald square....pretty decent stay....was upgraded to a corner room, which was quite big, given the tiny rooms i normally end up getting in nyc....bathroom was a bit on the smaller side though....

my reason for staying here was because it was one block from my client's office but location is right opposite macy's so that might be appealing to tourists....

breakfast was good every morning, staff members were pleasant, location was decent & room size was good....i would not hesitate to stay here again....

I"m only Gold, and dont seem to be getting any free breakfast at any Courtyard,

but beside that., I have narrow down to these due to location

FFI Midtown Manhatttan/Penn station ($229/night) for 2 double - 35k/night
Courtyard Manhattan/Chelsea ($279/night) for 2 double - 35k/night
Courtyard Manhattan/Herald Square ($277/night) for 2 double - 35k/night

Residence Inn Manhattan/Midtown East was "ideal" but now they have 35k + $300 USD.. wowser..

other one see like a good pick is the
Courtyard Mah/Midtown east @ 419sqft $35k/night for 2 queens.

any other suggesting, knowing that most of Cat 5 is ok.. and in the Midtown area
Old May 2, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA PP, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I just wrapped up a stay at the Sheraton Tribeca and the New York Marriott Downtown (both during the same trip). The Sheraton is in a better spot but the rooms are old and tired. The service was great in the lounge and at the front desk, but the lounge got full really quickly. Food options were so-so, but they made good drip coffee so there's that.

If you get a renovated room at the New York Marriott Downtown, I think you'll be pretty happy. The rooms are a decent size and the refresh makes a huge difference. Nice lounge too, with better food options than at the Sheraton Tribeca. But it's downtown so it's a bit further away from everything.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.