Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:53 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
If you are staying in the area and need to burn points I recommend AC or Fairfield as they are located more centrally in the Seaport (unless you need to be further inland for whatever reason)
No clue where the courtyard is. The AC is definitely convenient to Seaport which has quickly become a reasonable nice part of FiDi. The momofuku serves mainly bar food and the Jean-georges restaurant is pretty casual. For dessert, skip Big Gay Ice Cream and get Van Leeuwen instead. I like iPic Theaters a lot (much pricier than AMC though).

AC is also reasonably close to Stone Street which an ex-banker bar Street with good eats/drinks (but very few bankers after the BB exodus to Midtown).

Just be aware that other than these 2 things, the area is pretty dead. You’re about 10 mins to Fulton Center which can get you to pretty much any of the more touristy areas of the city. You’re also right on FDR drive which is pretty convenient to Uber/Lyft uptown.

It wouldn’t be my first choice for location in the city but it’s probably a good value as a category 4 in Manhattan.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
Again given that I was hoping to get 2 nights at 70k or under the pickings are slim. The AC down there on Maiden Lane is an option though... is that the one you are referring to?
Yes - I would recommend AC if your certs work

Originally Posted by WasKnown
No clue where the courtyard is. The AC is definitely convenient to Seaport which has quickly become a reasonable nice part of FiDi. The momofuku serves mainly bar food and the Jean-georges restaurant is pretty casual. For dessert, skip Big Gay Ice Cream and get Van Leeuwen instead. I like iPic Theaters a lot (much pricier than AMC though).

AC is also reasonably close to Stone Street which an ex-banker bar Street with good eats/drinks (but very few bankers after the BB exodus to Midtown).

Just be aware that other than these 2 things, the area is pretty dead. You’re about 10 mins to Fulton Center which can get you to pretty much any of the more touristy areas of the city. You’re also right on FDR drive which is pretty convenient to Uber/Lyft uptown.

It wouldn’t be my first choice for location in the city but it’s probably a good value as a category 4 in Manhattan.
Dead Rabbit also an option for drinks down there.
mildfrequence and WasKnown like this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
thanks Adelphos & WasKnown

Though I've been pretty adamant I want to do it in Manhattan, another option I suppose would be the Aloft or Courtyard in Long Island around Queens Plaza. Any thoughts? I admit the quick shots to *both* LGA and Jamaica/JFK (there's a possibility that they may both be involved) kind of appeal there...
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:12 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
thanks Adelphos & WasKnown

Though I've been pretty adamant I want to do it in Manhattan, another option I suppose would be the Aloft or Courtyard in Long Island around Queens Plaza. Any thoughts? I admit the quick shots to *both* LGA and Jamaica/JFK (there's a possibility that they may both be involved) kind of appeal there...
What are you hoping to do in the city? Unfortunately, I do not have experience with either of those hotels so I can really only offer feedback for location. Preference between subway and taxi/uber/lyft?
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:17 am

What are you hoping to do in the city? Unfortunately, I do not have experience with either of those hotels so I can really only offer feedback for location. Preference between subway and taxi/uber/lyft?
Subway for sure. I'm stubborn as hell when it comes to that question
The crux of the visit is probably going to be Greenwich, and that being a 25-30 min ride is mildly less than ideal, but not necessarily a thing that rules it out.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:29 am

Subway for sure. I'm stubborn as hell when it comes to that question
The crux of the visit is probably going to be Greenwich, and that being a 25-30 min ride is mildly less than ideal, but not necessarily a thing that rules it out.
Getting into the village from Queens via the subway is not convenient. Total transit time is probably similar vs. FiDi (7 to grand central then transfer to the 45 to Union Sq or 6 to Astor Place) but reliability for the subway in outer boroughs is spotty during the weekends.

At the AC, you will have a few options depending on where in the village you're specifically trying to hit. AC/45 out of Fulton and the 23 out of Wall St. For public transit, FiDi is very strong but you will need to walk about 10 minutes to get from Seaport to Fulton. Also, Fulton Center is a pretty nice subway station for a major hub (as opposed to something like Time Sq 42nd which is a disaster even for transfers).
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:41 am

but reliability for the subway in outer boroughs is spotty during the weekends.
Super tip for someone who's only previously stayed in Manhattan. Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2021, 3:09 pm

I stayed at the Four Points Times Square (on 40th) last night. Having never stayed at a Marriott property in New York, I was bracing for the worst. However, I thought it was a decent room and location, especially considering the nightly rate was only $146.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
anybody have recent experience with the downtown/financial courtyard? Trying to burn some of my 35k certs and it's one of the very few in manhattan that come in under 70k for two nights with my dates...
I was about to recommend the Courtyard Downtown/WTC as a better option, but sadly it looks like they closed permanently a few weeks ago. Which is too bad - it was a pretty nice, reasonably priced option in the area. I'll add it to the wiki.
Adelphos, ryw and mildfrequence like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I've been walking by the Courtyard by Marriott New York Manhattan/Chelsea often lately and each time I see hospital workers walking in or out or having lunch at the outdoor tables. It seems open to the public, but maybe also hosting local hospital workers. Maybe also a quarantine hotel?
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:49 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by SP03
The reviews aren't that good. I'm going to burn mine at the AC Hotel Downtown this weekend.
Hey what was your experience of the AC Downtown?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
but reliability for the subway in outer boroughs is spotty during the weekends.
Is this due to maintenace?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Hey what was your experience of the AC Downtown?
It was pretty good. Rooms were small but new and modern. The area is fairly convenient to subways, ferries, and Chinatown. Perfectly acceptable for using a FNA
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:56 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Super tip for someone who's only previously stayed in Manhattan. Thanks
Both the properties in question (Aloft LIC and CY LIC) are a short walk from Queens Plaza (E/R) and Queensboro Plaza (7/N), and the (G) at Court Square isn't that far. While track work does happen regularly on weekends, it will pretty much never affect all of these lines at the same time.

For example, this weekend the 7 is suspended from Queensboro Plaza to Hudson Yards, however the N, E, and R are all operating normally. Whether this matters depends of course on your plans. You can take the N to Times Sq instead of the 7, which is also an easy underground or aboveground walk to the 5 Av station. You can transfer for the Lex at 59 St for GCT.

Also, it's worth pointing out that with this disruption service is actually more impacted in Manhattan than Queens (where service is mostly normal). Similarly, this weekend the A/C are rerouted, mostly affecting Manhattan (running via the F from W4 to Brooklyn).

Weekend subway disruptions can affect any station on any line. The best plan is to pick a hotel that's convenient to multiple lines that serve different routes, and to proactively check posted service alerts so you can plan around them before you head out.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by bennos
Both the properties in question (Aloft LIC and CY LIC) are a short walk from Queens Plaza (E/R) and Queensboro Plaza (7/N), and the (G) at Court Square isn't that far. While track work does happen regularly on weekends, it will pretty much never affect all of these lines at the same time.

For example, this weekend the 7 is suspended from Queensboro Plaza to Hudson Yards, however the N, E, and R are all operating normally. Whether this matters depends of course on your plans. You can take the N to Times Sq instead of the 7, which is also an easy underground or aboveground walk to the 5 Av station. You can transfer for the Lex at 59 St for GCT.

Also, it's worth pointing out that with this disruption service is actually more impacted in Manhattan than Queens (where service is mostly normal). Similarly, this weekend the A/C are rerouted, mostly affecting Manhattan (running via the F from W4 to Brooklyn).

Weekend subway disruptions can affect any station on any line. The best plan is to pick a hotel that's convenient to multiple lines that serve different routes, and to proactively check posted service alerts so you can plan around them before you head out.
MTA disruptions are worse for outer boroughs than it is for Manhattan if the things you want to do are actually in Manhattan (which is likely most people visiting NYC). Staying in Manhattan, you also have the luxury of walkability and cheaper Ubers (which get more expensive from Manhattan <-> Qieens).

If you want convenient subway access, Queens should just not be the first choice vs. somewhere like FiDi (which has many cheap hotels) or downtown Brooklyn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.