Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:11 pm

NYC: 4pts Times Square West vs Courtyard Central Park

Hello all,
My wife and I are going to be using certs to stay 2 nights in New York during the first weekend in Dec. I have one cert that is good up to 40k points, and one for up to 35k.

The properties listed in the title both have the nights available. I was trying to book the Residence Inn Central Park but there was no availability for our dates.
We have no real plans, we just want to walk around and do touristy stuff. My see a show.

I am plat premier (ambassador in the next week or so). Included breakfast would be nice, but I know it is not offered at the Courtyard.
Any general thoughts on where we should stay?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:36 am

Need recommendation for Cat 4 hotel in NYC

I'm looking to redeem my Marriott travel package for 7 nights in NYC. I am a Marriott Platinum. Coming from Asia, I've read that breakfast 'buffets' are forgettable at 'lower' brands in North America. Should I even consider the kind of breakfast these hotels provide to Platinum members? What about lounge access? I have shortlisted the hotels below. Any input will be a great help, thank you!

Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Downtown East
Courtyard New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
AC Hotel New York Downtown
Fairfield Inn New York Manhattan/Financial District
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
Moxy NYC Downtown
Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
Courtyard Long Island City/New York Manhattan View
Aloft Long Island City-Manhattan View
Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Queens/Queensboro Bridge
Aloft New York Brooklyn
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott LTS
Originally Posted by nunogomes
I'm looking to redeem my Marriott travel package for 7 nights in NYC. I am a Marriott Platinum. Coming from Asia, I've read that breakfast 'buffets' are forgettable at 'lower' brands in North America. Should I even consider the kind of breakfast these hotels provide to Platinum members? What about lounge access? I have shortlisted the hotels below. Any input will be a great help, thank you!

Moxy NYC Downtown
Aloft New York Brooklyn
None of the above listed hotels have lounges as they are select / long term stay brands. Downtown area is actually pretty nice with Battery Park, Statue of Liberty within walking distance of the hotels. I have actually stayed at the Fairfield Inn Financial District and I would rather avoid it. The rooms are extremely small and the breakfast is just ok. Aloft breakfasts might actually be nice - I have never stayed at one but the locations listed - both Brooklyn and Long Island City will require a fair amount of commute to get into midtown area.

When you are staying 7 nights commuting back and forth will eat a lot of your time. NYC is kind of food heaven - you will find nice breakfast spots almost everywhere in the city. Stay atleast in the downtown area - the Residence Inn might not actually be a bad choice - I have not stayed at this particular one but I have stayed at other residence inns and the breakfast is actually better than a Courtyard or a fairfield.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There had been an element property in midtown--it's about ten years old--but I suspect it's higher than a category 4.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There had been an element property in midtown--it's about ten years old--but I suspect it's higher than a category 4.
It is a category 5, none of the midtown hotels are 4.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's also the Sheraton SoHo (really in Chinatown) which was SPG category 5. It does have a lounge with a nice view from the outdoor terrace.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:17 am

There's also the Sheraton SoHo (really in Chinatown) which was SPG category 5. It does have a lounge with a nice view from the outdoor terrace.
The OP is only looking at Cat 4 hotels and only the hotels listed in the original post match the criteria.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Ksw299
The OP is only looking at Cat 4 hotels and only the hotels listed in the original post match the criteria.
Yes but OP also wants a lounge and/or good breakfast, so I'm trying to think of the best alternatives. "Looking to redeem" a travel package could mean that a category 5 travel package could be ordered instead if the OP decides that it's worth spending the additional points.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ksw299
None of the above listed hotels have lounges as they are select / long term stay brands. Downtown area is actually pretty nice with Battery Park, Statue of Liberty within walking distance of the hotels. I have actually stayed at the Fairfield Inn Financial District and I would rather avoid it. The rooms are extremely small and the breakfast is just ok. Aloft breakfasts might actually be nice - I have never stayed at one but the locations listed - both Brooklyn and Long Island City will require a fair amount of commute to get into midtown area.

When you are staying 7 nights commuting back and forth will eat a lot of your time. NYC is kind of food heaven - you will find nice breakfast spots almost everywhere in the city. Stay atleast in the downtown area - the Residence Inn might not actually be a bad choice - I have not stayed at this particular one but I have stayed at other residence inns and the breakfast is actually better than a Courtyard or a fairfield.
Man, that really helped. Especially in managing my expectations about lounges. haha. looks like Residence Inn WTC is the best choice for me!

Yes but OP also wants a lounge and/or good breakfast, so I'm trying to think of the best alternatives. "Looking to redeem" a travel package could mean that a category 5 travel package could be ordered instead if the OP decides that it's worth spending the additional points.
Thanks buddy. I actually got the old travel package (Cat 1-5) before the devaluation. That limits my option to Cat 1-4 now.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:41 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium

Moxy NYC Downtown
Aloft New York Brooklyn
When I went to the Courtyard New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area in Nov 2018 I was pleasantly surprised they provided a free buffet breakfast for platinum members + a guest (a small selection consisting of coffee, scrambled eggs, a hot meat, potatoes, yogurt, and breads - I suppose this is probably what you consider "forgettable" though - It's similar to what you would find at the Fairfield and Residence Inn properties on your list), and a discounted breakfast buffet price for gold and silver members. While they don't have a lounge, in the sky lobby/bistro area did have a fridge stocked with free water bottles and free coffee/tea and candy and snacks for all Marriott Rewards members. This was in addition to the regular Courtyard benefit of a $10 F&B amenity or welcome points.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I have a couple of NYC trips this week. I've stayed in a lot of NYC properties and not a fan of most.

Any thoughts on the best options in midtown now (other than St.Regis/RC/LC as well as the limited service segment). I suppose the main factor is upgrade for PPE+A plus destination fee (which I guess can't be avoided)

I like the Edition ... but rates are sometimes too high to expense
I like the Renn Midtown and JW Essex
Renn Times Square is tolerable
The Autographs/Marriott East Side/Renn 57 are poor. The Sheratons have a bad rep on here.

Thoughts on the W Union Square?

And wouldn't it be nice if Marriott.com only showed properties in Manhattan ... but that's a different thread
Am I missing any other properties?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:15 pm

I'm not an extensive nyc traveler but over the years I think I have ran the gauntlet of the SPG properties there. If you sort by distance and filter properties 0-5 miles, you will get mostly Manhattan properties. Filtering by brand makes it easier also. A few opinions, ranked in no particular order:

1. Edition - Stayed there on nye this year and won't stay there ever again. It was my 2nd stay there over 2 years and both times the same mediocre experience. This time I didn't even have a single bottle of water in my room. Check-in feels like you are checking in for a doctors appointment. If you are platinum expect them to simply tell you they have the number on file instead of thanks for the loyalty (again, its like your MR number compares to an insurance card). I mean its not a bad hotel, but for the price, not even close to worth it. You can read my review here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...k.html?m=19905

2. W Union Square - Legit place, treated pretty well despite no upgrade. The room I got hadn't been cleaned at all, looked like a party had taken place (i took the bottle of red wine from the mini bar as compensation haha). They gave me a new one immediately. This W doesn't feel like a W at all to be honest. Lots of whites and tans and brighter colors. People say its the best W in nyc but I think that's just because it doesn't feel like a W. Its only a few blocks away from the Edition and I think if that is the area and type of hotel you want, hands down choose Union Square W over Edition.

3. Renn Midtown - I've only stayed here once and right when they opened. I was only a gold member and they upgraded my room. the lounge was closed so they gave me $50 to use in the restaurant, which was cool. The restaurant is probably the best "rooftop" bar in midtown (of course the bar isnt set high) but its my understanding that its frequented by a lot of locals. Its supposed to be technologically advanced but I didn't notice anything beyond the confusing elevators, which they also have at Edition.

4. Sheraton Tribeca - Its a zoo full of tourists but its not bad for a Sheraton. Free wine and beer in the lounge at night. My expectations are generally low for Sheratons, but this one is generally cheap and in a good location.

5. Element Times Square West - I think this place is the diamond in the rough. Despite the policy of no upgrades I got one anyway, along with a welcome gift. They had free wine at night too and a free breakfast that was beyond legit also. Plus its far away enough from Times Square. This would honestly be my vote if the rate is cheap. By far the nicest rooms. I think its a newer hotel. Only con is their elevators, I think they only have 2 or 3.

6. Westin Grand Central - Seems like a standard Westin, pretty large though. I think I would have gotten an upgrade if I didn't actually require 2 beds.

7. The Maxwell. This used to be the original W but I think it got beat down so much in reviews that they decided they didn't want the W name associated with it. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are kind of rundown (mine once had what I *hope* was a wine stain on the carpet), but I think it has been overblown. I think with the name change and bad reviews they have put in the effort to improve the service. I have also noticed their rates have gone down also. Seems like almost all of their rooms are available so good chance of an upgrade. Might be worth it to not book the cheapest room here though just in case the stars don't align. The cozy room looks like a jail cell.

8. W Times Square. Probably what I consider the best W in NY, but neck and neck with the W downtown. The real con with this place is that it is literally in times square. Tons of people around and the uber drivers always get confused (probably because they are used to throngs of clueless people ordering ubers around there). But go up into the elevators and its like you just went from mayhem to luxury. Cool lobby, and is quiet. My ny friends made fun of me for staying there and were mad they had to come to Times Square but they were also up in my room taking a million photos out of the windows. Id recommend this place if the rate is good.
markko likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:44 pm

Man, that really helped. Especially in managing my expectations about lounges. haha. looks like Residence Inn WTC is the best choice for me!

Thanks buddy. I actually got the old travel package (Cat 1-5) before the devaluation. That limits my option to Cat 1-4 now.
To be honest if free breakfast is the qualifier your best bet will be Fairfield Inn & Suites New York Manhattan/Downtown East. Almost in the Lower East Side and next to the Manhattan Bridge. The location is much much better. When you stay downtown you are so far away from everything. After you have seen the 9/11 memorial, statue of liberty, and the raging bull, then you can expect very long subway rides/uber/ taxi/whatever. There isn't a whole lot going on down in the financial district.

If you are willing to forgo the free breakfast, I think it would be worth considering the Aloft Long Island City-Manhattan View. Newer hotel, and i like the alofts. The view looks amazing too.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:24 am

I'll be in NYC for about two weeks and would like to book something in Chelsea. Which would you choose between the Fairfield Inn, Four Points, Courtyard, and the upcoming Moxy? Will probably split my stay between two of these in case I really don't like one. Else, may split between one of these and Hyatt House or another property you might recommend nearby in the same price range - looking to stay between 22nd-30th Street and Park-7th Ave.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by nsummy
I'm not an extensive nyc traveler but over the years I think I have ran the gauntlet of the SPG properties there. If you sort by distance and filter properties 0-5 miles, you will get mostly Manhattan properties. Filtering by brand makes it easier also. A few opinions, ranked in no particular order:

2. W Union Square - Legit place, treated pretty well despite no upgrade. The room I got hadn't been cleaned at all, looked like a party had taken place (i took the bottle of red wine from the mini bar as compensation haha). They gave me a new one immediately. This W doesn't feel like a W at all to be honest. Lots of whites and tans and brighter colors. People say its the best W in nyc but I think that's just because it doesn't feel like a W. Its only a few blocks away from the Edition and I think if that is the area and type of hotel you want, hands down choose Union Square W over Edition.

8. W Times Square. Probably what I consider the best W in NY, but neck and neck with the W downtown. The real con with this place is that it is literally in times square. Tons of people around and the uber drivers always get confused (probably because they are used to throngs of clueless people ordering ubers around there). But go up into the elevators and its like you just went from mayhem to luxury. Cool lobby, and is quiet. My ny friends made fun of me for staying there and were mad they had to come to Times Square but they were also up in my room taking a million photos out of the windows. Id recommend this place if the rate is good.

Thanks!

For my next stay, the W Times Square and W Union Square are basically the same rate. I'm working in midtown so Times Square is sort of more convenient but ... its Times Square ... and Union Square is more interesting.

Any thoughts on which hotel treats PPE/Ambassador's better in terms of upgrades, etc.? I suppose they both have the destination fee but don't know if they are different.

I suppose I go with the Maxwell (I've stayed in it when it was a W) but the reviews are so bad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.