Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 4, 22, 12:10 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Wiki Link
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 17, 19, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT, Bonvoy PLT +, Hilton Diamond
Coming to NYC in June for a wedding, the bride has special rates at The Maxwell, saw reviews plus most everyone here hates it, will skip it, We stayed at the Renn 57 last year, had a top floor room, over priced and the breakfast was a freak'n joke wont stay there again. Saw reviews for the RI Midtown East which is right around the corner for the Renn 57, reviews are glowing and the points is the same as The Maxwell and it only 2.5 blocks away I think we have a winner.

Having stayed at the IC TimeSquare most of the time, love the access to the subway plus we usually get an upgrade to a sky room. Hyatt usually has better hotels then most of the other brands in NYC but I haven't stayed at any of them.
Old Jan 18, 19, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
I try to stay with Hyatt in NYC, where all hotels are decent. Here's how I compare them:
I've stayed at most of the Hyatts. Meh. Andaz 5 used to be good, but has gone way way downhill. Andaz WS, now a dump. PHNYC hugely disappointing. Union Square and Herald Square, tiny rooms.

Lately I just FHR it in NYC. None of the chain options are that great (though Conrad is not bad if you're okay with the location). Among the Marriott/SPG properties, I've had good experiences at Essex House, but have never booked a cheap room there.
Old Jan 18, 19, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
I try to stay with Hyatt in NYC, where all hotels are decent. Here's how I compare them:

- Park Hyatt - amazing, but only worth it on redemption
I've stayed at most of the Hyatt properties in NYC as well and have been pretty happy overall BUT this comment on the PH surprises me considering all the complaining about the PH service levels and elite recognition on the Hyatt forum! Guess you have gotten lucky with your stays there.
Old Jan 18, 19, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Lately I just FHR it in NYC. None of the chain options are that great (though Conrad is not bad if you're okay with the location). Among the Marriott/SPG properties, I've had good experiences at Essex House, but have never booked a cheap room there.
I'm getting to the point that I will just book the best hotel even if it has no affiliations as well but I have to say I actually enjoyed my stay at The London NYC which has a HH association and is being renovated to become a Conrad. Holding out on booking it again till they complete the current renos.
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:00 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I've stayed at most of the Hyatts. Meh. Andaz 5 used to be good, but has gone way way downhill. Andaz WS, now a dump. PHNYC hugely disappointing. Union Square and Herald Square, tiny rooms.

Interesting your experience with Hyatt has been so negative. I've stayed at the Andaz 5th a dozen times and probably 30+ nights over the past couple years and while it did have a few downgrades (like the breakfast moving to the bar downstairs), I've overall had consistently good experiences there. I've almost always received a generous upgrade, but even the one time I was in a base level room, I was still impressed by the size. I've found the breakfast to be one of the most generous in all of Hyatt (I mean, you can order as much as you want from room service, even spending hundreds of dollars if you choose). I've had a few billing issues (mostly breakfast on bill) but they were almost always resolved quickly and easily. The gym is tiny and there's no pool, but those are about the only problems I can think of.

The Park Hyatt, I agree, has some misses. The Andaz WS is not as nice as the 5th ave, but I'd hardly call it a dump. The Union Square Hyatt is all around decent and I've never been given a base room. Agree with you on Herald Square.
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I've stayed at most of the Hyatt properties in NYC as well and have been pretty happy overall BUT this comment on the PH surprises me considering all the complaining about the PH service levels and elite recognition on the Hyatt forum! Guess you have gotten lucky with your stays there.
You're right, I've been decently lucky. I am starting to remember a few service failures in my few stays here, and I wasn't thrilled with the low amount you're allowed to spend on breakfast now that I think about it.

Still though, a suite upgrade here and the pool facilities are very much high-end.
Old Jan 18, 19, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by christianj View Post
I'm getting to the point that I will just book the best hotel even if it has no affiliations as well but I have to say I actually enjoyed my stay at The London NYC which has a HH association and is being renovated to become a Conrad. Holding out on booking it again till they complete the current renos.
I've stayed at a few boutique spots in the city too, and it can definitely be a decent option. Although, rooms can be tiny. I've stayed at the Quin, Ace, Gansevoort, Standard, etc.
Old Jan 18, 19, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Interesting your experience with Hyatt has been so negative.
Hyatt used to have the best options in NYC, but the two Andaz have really declined. Andaz 5th is really only a reasonable option if you're Globalist or luck into a spectacularly cheap rate. Otherwise, there's no way it's worth the normal rates given the lack of basic services and amenities (including breakfast now in basement). WS the interior is literally falling apart, the service and breakfast are pathetic, and the property has always had problems with heating/cooling. I suppose it's a decent option if you're looking for a $125 rate on a winter weekend, but that's really about what it's worth these days.

These are basically the same types of complaints many have with the SPG/Marriott options. Dumpy properties with indifferent service and limited amenities. I feel NYC is now a city I need to take the program blinders off in order to assess overall value. Particularly with 5x AMEX now available on many FHR bookings.
Old Jan 18, 19, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
We had a wonderful stay (points) at the JW Essex House this past November. Very classy hotel with executive lounge open nearly all day.
Old Jan 25, 19, 12:28 pm

Heading to the city in March and I'm having the hardest time figuring out where to stay. Going to an event in Brooklyn during one day so all I want is an easy train ride to and from. Looking for a good deal since it's cold and rates are low, but is seems like I'm not finding the sweet spot of pretty good property for a reasonable rate. Any suggestions? We are young-ish, no need for a spa or on-site dining. We would much rather be near a local brewpub.
Old Jan 28, 19, 2:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I recently stayed at the W Union Square. On the pro side, excellent location with lots of restaurants/bars in the neighborhood and a 5 minute subway ride to Grand Central and the staff was very nice. On the con side, a very basic plat breakfast with no credit toward upgrade (three breads, coffee, and juice) and no suite upgrade as an Ambassador.

Still, I've added it to the "do not avoid" list which as good as any property in Manhattan gets So my personal list of properties on the "do not avoid list" is now:

1, JW Essex
2. Renn Times Square (it does have a lounge on the second floor overlooking Times Square)
3. Renn Midtown
4, W Union Square
Old Jan 28, 19, 8:01 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Some new properties opening (or recently opened) in NYC:

* Courtyard Financial District - July '19 - Cat 4
* Courtyard Midtown West - April '19 - Cat 5
* The Times Square EDITION - Feb '19 - Cat 7
* Fairfield Inn & Suites Midtown West - April '19 - no cat listed yet
* Moxy Chelsea - Feb '19 - Cat 5
* Moxy Downtown - now open - Cat 4
* Renaissance Chelsea - July '19 - no cat listed yet
* Residence Inn Financial District - July '19 - Cat 4
* Springhill Suites Midtown West - April '19 - no cat listed yet
* Townplace Suites Times Square - now open - Cat 5
* AC Hotel Downtown - now open - Cat 4

Cheers.
Old Jan 29, 19, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
I recently stayed at the W Union Square. On the pro side, excellent location with lots of restaurants/bars in the neighborhood and a 5 minute subway ride to Grand Central and the staff was very nice. On the con side, a very basic plat breakfast with no credit toward upgrade (three breads, coffee, and juice) and no suite upgrade as an Ambassador.

Still, I've added it to the "do not avoid" list which as good as any property in Manhattan gets So my personal list of properties on the "do not avoid list" is now:

1, JW Essex
2. Renn Times Square (it does have a lounge on the second floor overlooking Times Square)
3. Renn Midtown
4, W Union Square
Only one N in Renaissance (well, except for the one at the end), so I imagine it follows that there'd be only one N in Ren.
Old Jan 30, 19, 9:33 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Alaska MVPG75
Best NYC property for first time weekend stay

Which property makes the most sense to stay at for a first time visitor to NYC on a long winter weekend? Plan is sightseeing, shopping, and dining. Thank you for any recommendations
Old Jan 30, 19, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Having a price point to work off of would help get better recommendations.
FlightNurse likes this.

Search this Thread