Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure what hotel you are referring to, but RI NYC is the tallest in NA. List of Tallest Hotels
This is why you shouldn't count on Wikipedia. IC stands for Intercontinental and LA stands for Los Angeles. The IC LA is not even on that list. It seems to be 335 meters tall which is a whole lot more than the RI you referred to.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by stimpy
This is why you shouldn't count on Wikipedia. IC stands for Intercontinental and LA stands for Los Angeles. The IC LA is not even on that list. It seems to be 335 meters tall which is a whole lot more than the RI you referred to.
At risk of veering off topic (too late), the difference is just semantics. The wikipedia list is a “list of the tallest buildings in the world that are wholly used as a hotel”. I believe the building used by IC LA is mixed use with office space and retail. There are a number of taller mixed use buildings that contain a hotel.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure what hotel you are referring to, but RI NYC is the tallest in NA. List of Tallest Hotels

Number of floors is not a measure of height. For example, the Freedom Tower (1776 feet) has 94 floors, whereas Empire State Building (1250 feet) has 102 floors, but is 526 feet shorter.
Have you stayed at that hotel before? Decent elite recognition?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Hotel Advice Needed for 4-Night Leisure Trip - Thanks!

Hi, everyone! I'm planning a trip to NYC (1 person) and was wondering if anyone had any hotel advice based on the options I listed below. Any help would be much appreciated!

Context:
  1. Staying 4 nights - arriving at JFK around 10 AM, leaving from JFK around 8 PM (hopefully, I'll be able to check in early, but will have to store my luggage anyway after checking out)
  2. No Marriott status, but I'm trying to stay within Marriott to actually accumulate enough points and elite nights with a specific program to use them (plus, I come from a legacy SPG family)
  3. I'm excited to explore the culinary options in NYC, so free breakfast doesn't appeal to me - but I'm sure I can find a use for dining credits from destination fees (nightly drink at the hotel bar, etc.)
  4. I plan on traveling around NYC exclusively on foot or via the subway, and I plan on traveling to other boroughs, too - so proximity to multiple subway lines is a big plus
  5. I haven't been to NYC in around 6-7 years, so I'll pretty much be in full-blown tourist mode
Of course, I'm open to any other suggestions besides those that I have listed!

Options I currently have booked (all with rates that can be cancelled):

Courtyard New York Manhattan/Central Park - Guest room, 1 King or 1 Queen, City view (cheapest room listed) - around $219 a night, $1019.22 total
This is the first option that I booked. The location seems nice, and it seems close to most of the major subway lines. However, recent reviews seem to suggest some significant issues with the elevators being out of service, creating large wait times. Even if these issues get resolved (which I assume they will be), 4 elevators for 35 floors seems a bit concerning, especially during crowded periods.

SpringHill Suites New York Manhattan/Times Square South - Studio, 1 King - around $130ish a night, $649.72 total
I booked this on a whim when I saw that the rate on the Marriott app dropped ridiculously low (this is around the same rate that Long Island City hotels are charging). However, further research suggests significant issues with loud and sometimes non-functional climate control units (not sure if this has been resolved more recently) and significant elevator issues (only 2 elevators for the entire hotel). In addition, it seems like most of the subway lines require you to walk all the way to Herald Square.

New York Marriott Marquis - Marquis Deluxe, 1 King (I think this is their standard room) - around $260 a night, $1348.55 total with destination fee
This is my most recent booking. While it is the most expensive (and I don't plan on spending most of my time in Times Square), I'm not at all worried about the number of elevators here, and the standard rooms seem to be quite large for Manhattan standards. Plus, the architecture of the property is definitely more inspiring than my other bookings. It also seems relatively convenient to most of the subway lines.

Other options I don't have booked but have been considering:

Sheraton New York Times Square - Traditional, 1 Queen - around $236 a night, $1215.43 total with destination fee (unfortunately, this is a prepaid rate - the "cancellable" rate is around $315 a night)
It seems like the Sheraton gets very mixed reviews. However, it seems like it's in a very good location (albeit very close to the Courtyard Central Park), and the elevator waits don't seem to be an issue.

Residence Inn Central Park - Studio, 1 King, City View - around $263 a night, $1231.48 total (unfortunately, this is a prepaid rate)
As this property is above the Courtyard, I would be guaranteed to get a high floor. However, I'm not a fan of Residence Inn's reduced point-earning rate and, while the reviews don't complain of elevators being out of service, I would still worry about wait times with 4 elevators having to traverse 65 floors (35 or so are potential stops).
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Of those options/prices, I would go with the Marriott Marquis. Good “tourist” hotel, and sufficiently better than the Sheraton, Courtyard, and RI at similar price points.

If the $$ is important, you could try the Springhill Suites TS south. That is the only one of these I haven’t stayed at, so I can’t comment firsthand, but have heard bad things.

But keep expectations in check- none of the Marriott properties in NYC are great, except those that charge St Regis-level prices.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Sheraton New York

The Sheraton sits on top of the MTA station @ 53rd & & Avenue. There are 5 more stations in easy walking distance.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lsquare
Have you stayed at that hotel before? Decent elite recognition?
I've stayed there. It's an RI. Elite recognition is not really something I focus on at an RI. I believe I got an upgraded view. The rooms are too exposed to the corridor for my taste, which is a consistent issue with many of the skinny new NYC properties, which are built very tight around the central core..
lsquare likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread or not, but a while back I tried the Four Points Midtown West on a cheap $100 rate and I was very surprised at the quality of the room. I guess it has been there for a few years, but it seems brand new. It is close to Hudson Yards and not too far from the 7 subway and the super nice Equinox there. And it has very nice views from the upper floors.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I appreciate the help!
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:37 pm

A little off topic, any Cat 5 properties left in Manhattan come next month?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Originally Posted by pazza2000
A little off topic, any Cat 5 properties left in Manhattan come next month?
only 4 left
  • Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village
  • Residence Inn New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
  • Courtyard New York Downtown Manhattan/World Trade Center Area
  • New York Marriott Downtown
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

nevermind
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Star_Guy
only 4 left
Ah, very sorry to see! What are the rules and limitations around points advance bookings now? Time to lock in as many tentative stays as possible pre March.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Star_Guy
only 4 left
there will actually be a few more....all the downtown cat 4 properties will now be cat 5....
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Keyser
there will actually be a few more....all the downtown cat 4 properties will now be cat 5....
What a ripoff...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.