Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Not so much for the lounge but I have always enjoyed the atmosphere and character of the Algonquin.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lsquare
i think location is even more important because I want to minimize my time walking in the cold! It’s not my first time to NYC and I do kinda know my way around.
Certainly, being close to a subway stop might be very important in the winter. But that leaves many options. NYC is definitely not the worst city to visit in the winter, although there are many other destinations if you don’t like the cold.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Certainly, being close to a subway stop might be very important in the winter. But that leaves many options. NYC is definitely not the worst city to visit in the winter, although there are many other destinations if you don’t like the cold.
For sure and I know how cold NYC is in winter. I have to be there so I can’t go elsewhere.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
i think location is even more important because I want to minimize my time walking in the cold! It’s not my first time to NYC and I do kinda know my way around.
+ 1
And I just like some locations a whole lot more than others. Times Square vs. SoHo? There's a huge difference there. Plus it's really not that easy to get around Manhattan (unless you're just talking a few blocks) . . . the subway is terrible (just ask any New Yorker) and traffic - especially crosstown - is often atrocious.

Taking Duke787's queue, here's my list of properties I've stayed in the last two years:

Essex House (my overall Marriott favorite, but often costs more than its worth)
Springhill Suites 5th Ave (nice value, would stay again)
RI Downtown/WTC (nice value, would stay again)
CY Midtown East (nice value, would stay again)
RI Central Park (room very small, noise from hallway)
Edition (fantastic location, no benefits, not worth the high price)
RC NYC (poor elite treatment/bad experience)
St. Regis (two bad experiences)
dagangwood likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Kacee
+ 1
And I just like some locations a whole lot more than others. Times Square vs. SoHo? There's a huge difference there. Plus it's really not that easy to get around Manhattan (unless you're just talking a few blocks) . . . the subway is terrible (just ask any New Yorker) and traffic - especially crosstown - is often atrocious.

Taking Duke787's queue, here's my list of properties I've stayed in the last two years:

A bit off topic, but surely the subway is preferable to city traffic!

back on topic... thanks for the suggestion on the Springhill suites @5th... wondering how it was. I may give a go - although I've moved most NYC stays to Hilton. I find Hiltons rates to be much more reasonable than Marriott in the big apple.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
A bit off topic, but surely the subway is preferable to city traffic!

back on topic... thanks for the suggestion on the Springhill suites @5th... wondering how it was. I may give a go - although I've moved most NYC stays to Hilton. I find Hiltons rates to be much more reasonable than Marriott in the big apple.
Can you elaborate more on your Hilton experiences? How much were you paying?
Old Oct 25, 2019, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
+ 1

Have you lived in New York? I have. Yes, New Yorkers complain about the subway, but having lived elsewhere in the US as well (and visited many more places), the subway is not that bad and in my opinion makes location less relevant than in other cities one might visit. Really, New Yorkers are spoiled with the subway.

Of course I would stay in Union Square or Soho over Times Square, all else equal. And yes, getting cross town is not easy, relatively speaking. But when I’m spending my own money, I care about the value I’m getting, and that’s why I’m willing to stay in places like FiDi on weekends or LIC or even Hoboken/Jersey City. Maybe it’s also a function of knowing (parts of) the city from a local’s perspective.

I would recommend OP come up with a list of hotels that are within OP’s budget, and we can comment if we have thoughts. Generally, I’d say Platinum status might get you an upgrade when occupancy is low, but I wouldn’t pick a place based on having a lounge or breakfast benefit in a place like NYC.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Can you elaborate more on your Hilton experiences? How much were you paying?
Between $180 -$210 p/night weekend/weekday at Hilton Garden Inn's (which is at least $50 p/night less than Marriott generally charges). See here for rates: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilt...p-rate-20.html

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Have you lived in New York? I have. Yes, New Yorkers complain about the subway, but having lived elsewhere in the US as well (and visited many more places), the subway is not that bad and in my opinion makes location less relevant than in other cities one might visit. Really, New Yorkers are spoiled with the subway.

Of course I would stay in Union Square or Soho over Times Square, all else equal. And yes, getting cross town is not easy, relatively speaking. But when I’m spending my own money, I care about the value I’m getting, and that’s why I’m willing to stay in places like FiDi on weekends or LIC or even Hoboken/Jersey City. Maybe it’s also a function of knowing (parts of) the city from a local’s perspective.
If you care about value, check out the MVP rates via FT link above.

And I agree with you 100% about subway (and I also lived there). Further, I was born/raised there and have seen great improvement since those long ago decades. You couldn't imagine what it was like back in the 80s
lsquare and flyingeph12 like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Both. I recognize that Asia probably offers more. Given what you have said, I’ll just go with location then or maybe go with Hilton? What’s your recommendation for Marriott based on location?

I’ll be paying the cash rate.
Most of my travel to New York is for business. My office is midtown so I try to stay within walking distance. I try to avoid Times Square but end up staying there because of cheaper corporate rates.

For personal travel, I either stay up by Central Park ( Essex House or St Regis) or done in TriBeCa-Union Square. Most hotels in these areas are near subway stops.

You should chose where you stay in the city by what you want to explore and experience. Are you spending the bulk of your time visiting museums, or shopping or going to the Theater? You can optimize your stay on any of these criteria.

My last personal stay in New York was last year at Thanksgiving so we stayed at the Essex House. Watching the Thanksgiving Parade was a big part of our coming to New York.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Aegean Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Any recommendations for a midtier downtown hotel?

Courtyard Downtown Manhattan
AC Hotel New York Downtown
Moxy NYC Downtown

Looking for a comfortably sized room and good elite recognition (ie. upgrades, etc).
Old Oct 29, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by jetplane86

Moxy NYC Downtown

Looking for a comfortably sized room and good elite recognition (ie. upgrades, etc).
i can’t speak to the first two, but the Moxy rooms are tiny and almost no elite recognition.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

Moxy NYC Downtown

i've stayed at the courtyard & moxy downtown properties....the moxy has tiny rooms & next to nothing elite recognition....the courtyard was better in terms of both....both properties were fine & i would go back to them if i needed to be in the area but they are nothing to write home about....
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
i've stayed at the courtyard & moxy downtown properties....the moxy has tiny rooms & next to nothing elite recognition....the courtyard was better in terms of both....both properties were fine & i would go back to them if i needed to be in the area but they are nothing to write home about....
Given what you just said, why should anyone pick the Moxy if the price is the same?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Given what you just said, why should anyone pick the Moxy if the price is the same?
the moxy had a more fun vibe to it & i liked the food better....

also, on a personal note, the last time i stayed at the moxy, it was in feb this year, during freezing temperature & my client's office was about a minute walk away so i picked this property over other marriott options....would much rather stay in a smaller room & freeze my butt off for a minute as compared to staying in a larger room & risk getting frostbite walking 5-7 minutes....
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:12 am

Moxy NYC Downtown

I’ve stayed at the AC Downtown. The rooms are spacious enough for me, but they’re not large. I like the shower, and there is a desk large enough to work from. Elite recognition is not great, but I got a late checkout and a room on a high floor. The biggest drawback, in my opinion, is that the AC is a little out of the way. It’s east of Water Street, so it’s a bit of a walk to the subway, etc. All that said, I like the AC and would recommend it.

My top recommendation for a mid tier property downtown would probably be the Residence Inn on Broadway and Maiden Lane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.