Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mr. BoH
Manhattan (NYC) Marriott Bonvoy Hotels Closed Permanently During COVID-19 Pandemic

The following hotels may be discussed in this thread however each property has indicated it closed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will not reopen.
  • Courtyard Herald Square
  • Courtyard 5th Avenue
  • Marriott East Side
  • W Downtown
  • The Maxwell
  • Gramercy Park Hotel
  • Courtyard Downtown/WTC
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)

Old May 10, 2019, 6:06 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by tdrag97
Which would you guys prefer :
resident inn Manhattan time square
courtyard in Herald
Fairfield suites near that herald area

I’m trying to stay near 32nd St. near Macy but also walkable to Time square
I like Herald Sq. much better as an area. I try to avoid the mess at Times Sq when possible, and of course avoid that awful Macy's.

The AC is pretty nice and new. Moxy's isn't horrible either if you don't mind a tiny room.
tdrag97 and andrewstahl like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
Originally Posted by helvetic
I like Herald Sq. much better as an area. I try to avoid the mess at Times Sq when possible, and of course avoid that awful Macy's.

The AC is pretty nice and new. Moxy's isn't horrible either if you don't mind a tiny room.
AC don’t offer anything to Gold member right?
Old May 11, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Or Platinum or Titanium or Ambassador members either, other than a decent breakfast.

Gold is pretty far down the totem pole, I would rarely expect anything special for that.
tdrag97 likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone have any reviews of the Manhattan Fairfield Inn and Suites Springhill Inn and Suites or the new Towne Place Suites? I am thinking that these suite rooms might be a bit larger than the standard NYC room? I'm looking for something in Midtown or a bit lower that is super convenient to the Metro and will be easy to get to and from Brooklyn (without staying in Brooklyn lol) for a Sunday and Monday night in July. I am only looking to sleep there and will pay cash to earn and save points for another time. I'm only Gold so I have no lounge access but breakfast would be nice if Golds still have that opportunity.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
Does anyone have any reviews of the Manhattan Fairfield Inn and Suites Springhill Inn and Suites or the new Towne Place Suites? I am thinking that these suite rooms might be a bit larger than the standard NYC room? I'm looking for something in Midtown or a bit lower that is super convenient to the Metro and will be easy to get to and from Brooklyn (without staying in Brooklyn lol) for a Sunday and Monday night in July. I am only looking to sleep there and will pay cash to earn and save points for another time. I'm only Gold so I have no lounge access but breakfast would be nice if Golds still have that opportunity.
All guests get breakfast at Springhill Suites. The rooms are typical Manhattan sized. I stayed recently at Springhill Suites 5th Avenue and felt it was a convenient location and an excellent value.

And it's the subway.
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
And it's the subway.
Lol thank you!
lost_perspicacity likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Cat 4 property for a weekend stay please ? I'm Titanium elite and we like good free breakfasts
Old May 20, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Cat 4 property for a weekend stay please ? I'm Titanium elite and we like good free breakfasts
There are limited Cat 4 choices if you want to stay in or close to Manhattan, and none of them are full-service properties. I like the AC downtown, but breakfast (if you choose to use your Titanium welcome gift on breakfast) is really a continental breakfast. I would also recommend the Courtyard and Aloft in Long Island City (very near Queens Plaza subway stop)—but neither of those have great breakfast options either. Honestly, if I were in NYC during a weekend, I would be going to one of the numerous great brunch places, not eating breakfast in the hotel. Off the top of my head, I would say the only Marriott hotel where breakfast is maybe worth it is the Chatwal.

Finally, I'm not sure using points for a weekend stay is really worth it in New York, especially those in the Cat 4 realm. I would definitely check the cash rates before using points. Unless there's something going on, I would in general be surprised if the Cat 4 properties are much higher than $200/night (in which case you're only getting about 0.8˘/point in value).
Old May 20, 2019, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Here is the issue:

I have the choice of redeeming Canadian AMEX Membership Reward points at 1 Canadian cent per point against past travel purchases or transferring them to Bonvoy points at a 1:1.2 rate.

So: 20,833 Canadian AMEX MR points = 25,000 Bonvoy points

So, for category 4, a hotel needs to cost 208.33 Canadian dollars ($154 USD) after taxes per night for it to be worth it to me to pay for it cash rather than redeeming Marriott Bonvoy points.

For the May 31st to June 2nd weekend, I don't see such rates (will try BRG)

Last edited by MasterGeek; May 20, 2019 at 9:05 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 12:51 am

Any thoughts on the Moxy Chelsea?
Old May 21, 2019, 2:08 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Here is the issue:

I have the choice of redeeming Canadian AMEX Membership Reward points at 1 Canadian cent per point against past travel purchases or transferring them to Bonvoy points at a 1:1.2 rate.

So: 20,833 Canadian AMEX MR points = 25,000 Bonvoy points

So, for category 4, a hotel needs to cost 208.33 Canadian dollars ($154 USD) after taxes per night for it to be worth it to me to pay for it cash rather than redeeming Marriott Bonvoy points.

For the May 31st to June 2nd weekend, I don't see such rates (will try BRG)
If your only choices are 1) redeem MR points at 1 Canadian cent per point toward travel purchases or 2) transfer points to Bonvoy, then I agree that it would make more sense to transfer points to Bonvoy if the cost of a night (including taxes) is over US$154. This, of course, assumes you value your MR points at 1 Canadian cent per MR (or .75 US cents per MR)—and if you think redeeming your points around that range is good value, then definitely you should do it. All I was trying to say before is that hotel prices in NYC (generally) are cheaper over the weekends (especially Friday and Sunday nights), and so it might be worth it to pay cash compared to points.

It looks like for your particular weekend, prices are at least $200/night. So it might be worth it to use points. But as I said before, I would consider anything in Cat 4 (that is in or close to Manhattan) no more than a decent place to sleep at night. My personal choice would be one of the FiDi hotels (probably the AC), but FiDi is super quiet over the weekend. The Aloft or Courtyard near Queens Plaza might be a better choice, since it would be two stops on the subway to Midtown. There's also a Fairfield Inn in the LES that's a Cat 4—I've never stayed there so can't say if it's good, but if the LES is your scene it might be worth looking into (plus it probably has free breakfast included).
MasterGeek likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Do Manhattan hotels drop their prices on last minute reservations during weekends (especially the ones located in the Financial District) ?

Since the Marriott flexible cancellation policy requires cancellation 2 days before the check-in date, I'm wondering if I should cancel my reservation for this week-end, hoping hotels will dump their prices on Friday
Old May 29, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Do Manhattan hotels drop their prices on last minute reservations during weekends (especially the ones located in the Financial District) ?

Since the Marriott flexible cancellation policy requires cancellation 2 days before the check-in date, I'm wondering if I should cancel my reservation for this week-end, hoping hotels will dump their prices on Friday
downtown hotels usually do but you also risk them being sold out....earlier this year i reached nyc a day earlier & got the four points downtown for $72 a night on the weekend....
MasterGeek likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:48 pm

I'm deciding between the AC Times Square and the Westin Times Square for an overnight stay after a Broadway show. As a Platinum elite member my primary concerns are a good breakfast, potential for upgrade or early check-in, and overall quality of the property and rooms. Has anyone stayed at these properties recently and could recommend either one?
Old May 29, 2019, 11:04 pm

AC is far far far better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.