Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Is there a trick to getting folios/bill via email? It seems very hit or miss

Is there a trick to getting folios/bill via email? It seems very hit or miss

Old Jan 3, 19, 4:25 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Marcos, CA
Programs: Starwood Platinum; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select, Marriott Platinu
Posts: 197
Is there a trick to getting folios/bill via email? It seems very hit or miss

I am sure many here travel for business and have to gather receipts...I have found that post merger, particularly for the Marriott properties, it is a total crap shoot whether I get an email copy of my bill. It is also a total crap shoot if the bill is available for download from marriott.com. Has anyone found a way to improve the odds? Chasing them down on the phone is a huge hassle.

Thanks.
andrewstahl likes this.
tfly212 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:14 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: DFW
Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by tfly212 View Post
I am sure many here travel for business and have to gather receipts...I have found that post merger, particularly for the Marriott properties, it is a total crap shoot whether I get an email copy of my bill. It is also a total crap shoot if the bill is available for download from marriott.com. Has anyone found a way to improve the odds? Chasing them down on the phone is a huge hassle.

Thanks.
In my experience, the only way to guarantee you get a copy of the bill now is to stop by and ask the front desk on your way out. For those properties that send the bill overnight, I find that they will also reliably send a second copy when I check out via the app - but then for those, I already have a copy. For all others, it's either patiently wait a few days for the bill to load online or call and ask for a copy to be sent over. I'd like to say that it's brand specific - but I haven't noticed any consistent pattern to which properties are on top of electronic copies and which aren't.
ajwright is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:14 pm
  #3  
ryw
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: OAK & SFO
Programs: WN A, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 904
I always check out in person at the front desk and 90% of the time they ask if they want a receipt emailed to my email on file or printed out (I'll always ask for the email, sometimes for the print out too). The other 10% of the time I'll have to ask them for an email copy. Regardless I've never had a problem doing it this way.
ryw is online now  
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:22 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Marcos, CA
Programs: Starwood Platinum; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select, Marriott Platinu
Posts: 197
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
I always check out in person at the front desk and 90% of the time they ask if they want a receipt emailed to my email on file or printed out (I'll always ask for the email, sometimes for the print out too). The other 10% of the time I'll have to ask them for an email copy. Regardless I've never had a problem doing it this way.
That is my issue...I try to avoid having to physically check out whenever possible. I almost never have an issue with Westin, Sheraton or Marriott...it is all the sub-brands that seem to be problematic.

Thanks anyway.
tfly212 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:27 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 191
I always check out at the front desk and 20% of the time I still don't get emailed copies of the folio.
cozysuite and paolo64 like this.
kpfleming is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:13 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: DFW/PHL
Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Posts: 612
Originally Posted by ryw View Post
I always check out in person at the front desk and 90% of the time they ask if they want a receipt emailed to my email on file or printed out (I'll always ask for the email, sometimes for the print out too). The other 10% of the time I'll have to ask them for an email copy. Regardless I've never had a problem doing it this way.
I always ask them to "force" the email and wait for it to show up on my phone. Sometimes the front desk assumes the automated process will email it later, and it doesn't.

The bigger issue is - why can't Marriott fix their damn website? Not sure if you've noticed, for the same stay, sometimes download bill works, other times it doesn't and other times it's not even an option. But you may need to wait a day or a week, and the option eventually returns to download the bill for that stay. My theory is that downloads are only broken when I'm trying to put together a last minute expense report.
Jon Maiman likes this.
flightrisk is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:05 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Posts: 26,076
Originally Posted by kpfleming View Post
I always check out at the front desk and 20% of the time I still don't get emailed copies of the folio.
+1 it is hit and miss. I always get a printout in case the stay does not credit (correctly) which these days is ... way to often.
cfischer is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 7:14 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Posts: 2,839
This - combined with points and nights not posting - has been my biggest point of frustration with the merger.

The "download receipt" button never works on the Marriott page at all. Even if the link is there, it does not do anything (even if I disable all pop-up, ad, and javascript blockers I have) - not even present an error.

I've now taken to just asking for a paper receipt on check-out as a backup because I am not reliably emailed even if I ask for it both at check-in and check-out. I feel like I've stepped back about a decade.
tfly212 likes this.
ethernal is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 10:44 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 68,465
It's an IT error that hopefully will get resolved.

I'm sure the FD folk would like it resolved too so they don't have to print, scan & email folios to guests, that as far as the property knew was emailed to the guest when they checked them out. I have a friend who is a FDC who said it's a pain & they get yelled at by guests after the fact as though it was their fault, even though when they do the check out the system says 'folio emailed to guest', so this is on MAR & not the propert(ies).

FWIW - I've always done the front desk/paper receipt check out, but that's just my own personal habit. I like paper back-up.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Jan 3, 19, 11:13 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 892
Originally Posted by kpfleming View Post
I always check out at the front desk and 20% of the time I still don't get emailed copies of the folio.
I had a stay a couple of weeks ago, got a note at checkin welcoming me for my 32nd stay at the property. So must be 32 times I’ve had to ask for an emailed folio rather than hard copy ( and in fairness they always send it). But you might think they’d note it somewhere “ guest prefers folio via email” ( Hyatt seems to have a way to do it efficiently, so why can’t Marriott?)
paolo64 is offline  
Old Jan 4, 19, 7:58 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 215
I always ask for a receipt because of the issues noted above. I need stuff ASAP for expense reports, and there have been too many times they don't email.them. I can't find any rhyme or reason. For a while I thought it had something to do with which property I was at, but, that theory doesn't hold up anymore.

Sometimes, literally, as I'm walking out the door, I get an email.

Sometimes, it never comes at all.
jrich7970 is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 9:29 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: YXU / YUL
Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
Posts: 327
My last few stays I've used the app to check out and it asks if you want a copy of your folio emailed. So far this has worked every time for me and it saves having to stop at the front desk.
yule_boy is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 11:28 am
  #13  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Muscat (OM)
Programs: Qatar Airways, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton
Posts: 1,422
Checked out of Le Méridien Kochi early this morning - politely hounded the front desk agent repeatedly during checkout over having a folio e-mailed to me, which he ensured was done - twice... and here we are: twelve+ hours, two countries and zero folios later.

Truly hit and miss. I check out of some hotels and don’t make it to the front door from the front desk without my e-mail pinging, while with other properties I’ll nag and plead and write and still get zilch.

khabah
khabah is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 11:50 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Programs: Marriott
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by yule_boy View Post
My last few stays I've used the app to check out and it asks if you want a copy of your folio emailed. So far this has worked every time for me and it saves having to stop at the front desk.
I agree with this. I've had a week's worth of stays recently all of them at sub brands. The process has been consistent at sending emails when I both use the app to check-in and use it to check-out. I'm not sure what changed but it was never reliable via this process previously.
flyingray is offline  
Old Jan 5, 19, 1:44 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wanting First. Buying First.
Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Posts: 8,716
I wish I had this problem.

I always check out personally to request a printed folio. I do not want folios emailed to me. I ask the front desk not to email me my folio. Yet I always get a folio by email. Worse, I usually get two.

I have no idea what IT programmer thinks it's a good idea to email preliminary folios at 0100 on the day of check out. Don't these people realize that late additions to the bill are pretty common at full-service hotels?
Herb687 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: