Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ringingup
I have no intention to cancel it, but if I did... would I have magically earned 75,000 points?
No. They explicitly say that the points go away if the reservation is cancelled (at least they did with me).
ringingup likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Happy
Marriott may consider this is abusive and just take away this feature, a loss to everyone.
A loss to the abusers, but a gain for those of us who don't like to see program abuse.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No. They explicitly say that the points go away if the reservation is cancelled (at least they did with me).
Agents say lots if inaccurate things. what counts in reality is what the computers/IT are pgrammed to do
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
A loss to the abusers, but a gain for those of us who don't like to see program abuse.
Does not matter what you like or dont like. It is a very useful feature to those who dont abuse but have the need to secure award bookings in peak period while still working to earn the points.

There are plenty of people using this feature over the years in the past before Marriott/SPG merger attracts speculation.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my case, they’ve credited my account with the difference in points between new and old amount. And this is for an advance points reservation. I have no intention to cancel it, but if I did... would I have magically earned 75,000 points? ����.♂️
No you wont, and shouldn't.

Though what the system would do is anybody's guess. You Might initially get it but in a subsequent audit the points being reversed. Who knows? You can report back when and if, you cancel.

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Agents say lots if inaccurate things. what counts in reality is what the computers/IT are pgrammed to do
It is precisely due to this type of speculation / thought to speculate, with the potential shortcoming of the IT, that Marriott wants the Point Advance bookings be finalized before March 5th, and implies it would take away the historical procedure of handling the finalization of the booking.

My guess is they would perform periodic audits on accounts with additional points added to finalize point advance bookings, and take actions accordingly. I know IHG does perform period audits sometimes many months later, on various things and almost inevitably IHG corrects whatever that should not be. No idea about Marriott.

Last edited by Happy; Mar 10, 2019 at 1:27 pm
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
No you wont, and shouldn't.

Though what the system would do is anybody's guess. You Might initially get it but in a subsequent audit the points being reversed. Who knows? You can report back when and if, you cancel.
As I said, I have no intention to cancel. I do not want to find out.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:33 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I do not think this kind of discussion leads to more value of Marriott reward program for anyone. It only wants Marriott to take away some of the features of the program.

All of this is the result of Marriott reward devaluation. Marriott has not lost anything, but just gain less. Marriott's gain is members' losses.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold,Amex Centurion,Marriott LT Plat Prem Elite +AMBASS,Hilton Diamond,Priority Club Plat,VS Gold
Question

In my case, they’ve credited my account with the difference in points between new and old amount. And this is for an advance points reservation. I have no intention to cancel it, but if I did... would I have magically earned 75,000 points? 🤷🏻.♂️
I am in the same boat as many here with a booking that I fully intend staying at with PA booking. When I have called Marriott its a case of you have to wait. May I ask where did you call so that they actioned the above. I would feel a lot safer before buying the additional points needed and booking flights knowing its locked instead of a "maybe"...
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:11 am

In my case, they’ve credited my account with the difference in points between new and old amount. And this is for an advance points reservation. I have no intention to cancel it, but if I did... would I have magically earned 75,000 points? 🤷🏻.♂️
I had an IHG reservation that changed categories before my stay that I had to cancel & I received the higher amount of points refunded to my account so who knows but is possible here too.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: MR rewards
Marriott Kensington go up from 5 to 6 ?
seriously!!

Last month was 5 why 6 now so fast !
Very strange im confused how the calculats this categories.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: MR rewards
seriously!!

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by weld3z
seriously!!

you are posting in the annual category change thread. Annual category changed March 5.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:32 pm

Does not matter what you like or dont like.
My opinion matters every bit as much as your opinion does.

There are plenty of people using this feature over the years in the past before Marriott/SPG merger attracts speculation.
And that's the problem - a lot more people gaming the system.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:46 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Any idea when the free night certificates (40,000 points) can be used to book for off-peak category 6 hotels? (40,000)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 12:21 pm

I had a future reservation jump from 240,000 to 340,000 on March 5. I decided to wait until today to call after I had points post to my account so I would actually have the original 240,000 available.

It was actually quite painless after I finally got to an actual person to have them credit me enough miles to book at the new 340,000 rate. Interestingly although the rate increased 100,000 points, they would only credit me 90,000 since I already had 250,000 in my account and the booking required 340,000. I mentioned that did not seem right, but did not figure it was worth arguing about.

So if any of you are considering calling to ask about rate change, you may want to do it before you actually have enough miles in your account to book at the original rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.