Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by dblue
The number listed in the app as Titanium Support: 800-399-4229
unfortunately I don’t have any points right now to do this. Gotta wait a couple months- reservations are for November.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As scary as this is it is not new and nothing to do with new systems.

Every year for at least 8 years I have made bookings before the categories went up.

Every year the points total changed in the reservation.

Every year some agents knew how to do it and some didn't.
beltway, Happy, Twickenham and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
As scary as this is it is not new and nothing to do with new systems.

Every year for at least 8 years I have made bookings before the categories went up.

Every year the points total changed in the reservation.

Every year some agents knew how to do it and some didn't.
so to confirm the theory is poor training by Marriott. I can certainly believe that!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Made two reservations last night and used Points Advanced. When I called today to order the e-cert, I was told that the points had to be taken yesterday to honor the old points. I asked her to check with her supervisor and she came back with the same response.

Guess I'll have to keep calling...

Update. The second phone rep was able to calculate the correct number of points and ordered the certs. However, when I got off the phone and checked my points balance, I realized that she deducted the number of points based on the new category not what she told me it would be. This is so frustrating....
atojbk likes this.

Last edited by SP03; Mar 5, 2019 at 11:50 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Can I get the annual award category even if it comes by Plat challenge?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:31 pm
Hoc

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Well, looks like we all got "Bonvoyed." All of my points went up in my future reservations, as well.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by RedSun
I just feel this is another round of gaming between Marriott and the members.... Who is going to win?
most members will lose. Only the expert travel hackers will come out winning or without a lossby taking advantage of the loopholes.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:34 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Marriott's category increases countered !
Multiple speculative and concurrent points bookings placed for the hotels I may want to stay at by March 2020 that are going up in category

based on EST
And where did it state this in any communication? I looked everywhere but it only says from 5th of March 2019...so assumed that as long as it is not the 5th of March everywhere in the world, the old pricing should still apply...or at least for hotels that are based in a time zone where it was still the 4th of March we should have been able to book these at the old rates. Is this just another Marriott stuff-up?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:38 pm

I too made several category 7 points advance reservations last night, only to find out that they increased to 85K overnight.

After a few emails back and forth with my ambassador, she said that she'd be able to honor the 60K price. She said to to let her know when I have the points in my account and she will manually adjust the reservation so that it only takes 60K/night from my account.

One interesting challenge when I was talking to her was that there was no way for me to prove that I booked the hotels at 60K points per night. I never received a confirmation email for the bookings I made last night, so there was no way to confirm the date or number of points I used. That said, she was ultimately able to pull the date and time that I made the reservation (i.e., last night), which helped to prove my case.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Does anyone know if I will be able to apply a cat 5 cert against a hotel that went from cat 5 to cat 6? I booked the hotel under PA on March 4 when it was still cat 5 (35K points).

I do have confirmation email for the booking showing I booked it on March 4 but the email did NOT state how many points required.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:43 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Traveler56789
I too made several category 7 points advance reservations last night, only to find out that they increased to 85K overnight.

After a few emails back and forth with my ambassador, she said that she'd be able to honor the 60K price. She said to to let her know when I have the points in my account and she will manually adjust the reservation so that it only takes 60K/night from my account.

One interesting challenge when I was talking to her was that there was no way for me to prove that I booked the hotels at 60K points per night. I never received a confirmation email for the bookings I made last night, so there was no way to confirm the date or number of points I used. That said, she was ultimately able to pull the date and time that I made the reservation (i.e., last night), which helped to prove my case.
Just wonder if you'll ever be able to pay for those reservations even at the old reduced rates. I guess NO. Even those 60k nights are not cheap. It takes 360,000 points for a 7-night stay. If you book (several) 5 such stays, you look to cough up 1.8 MM MR points.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:44 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Does anyone know if I will be able to apply a cat 5 cert against a hotel that went from cat 5 to cat 6? I booked the hotel under PA on March 4 when it was still cat 5 (35K points).

I do have confirmation email for the booking showing I booked it on March 4 but the email did NOT state how many points required.
You should be fine as long as MR honors the old rate.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Sydfly
And where did it state this in any communication? I looked everywhere but it only says from 5th of March 2019...so assumed that as long as it is not the 5th of March everywhere in the world, the old pricing should still apply...or at least for hotels that are based in a time zone where it was still the 4th of March we should have been able to book these at the old rates. Is this just another Marriott stuff-up?
Yeah haha. That’s really not how Marriott works.

In past years, it was the hotel’s timezone. (which wasn’t announced, so that made for some interesting discussions with the ambassador.

This year seems to have been some timezone.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:23 pm
fjk

Does anyone know when peak/off peak will take effect? Sorry if this has been asked but I've been searching to no avail.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by fjk
Does anyone know when peak/off peak will take effect? Sorry if this has been asked but I've been searching to no avail.
No definitive answer. Have heard a rumor end of Q2/beginning of Q3.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.