Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
All my points advance reservations are now showing the new points value needed, my Ambassador is looking into it to see what the situation is but she was surprised and unaware of any process to charge the old points.

Also interestingly all the points advance reservations I made yesterday I did not get any email confirmation on. I know some people have had issues but I have never had an email confirmation issue but 6 yesterday and not 1 email, coincidence I don't think so!

You would think Marriott would learn after each IT disaster to not repeat them but it seems when it comes to Bonvoy it really is the "New Name, Fresh Look, Same 'great' loyalty program"

Obviously replace the word 'great' with whatever you feel fits! For me I think I would get banned from FT if I published the ones that come to my mind!
Counsellor likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
All my points advance reservations are now showing the new points value needed, my Ambassador is looking into it to see what the situation is but she was surprised and unaware of any process to charge the old points.

Also interestingly all the points advance reservations I made yesterday I did not get any email confirmation on. I know some people have had issues but I have never had an email confirmation issue but 6 yesterday and not 1 email, coincidence I don't think so!

You would think Marriott would learn after each IT disaster to not repeat them but it seems when it comes to Bonvoy it really is the "New Name, Fresh Look, Same 'great' loyalty program"

Obviously replace the word 'great' with whatever you feel fits! For me I think I would get banned from FT if I published the ones that come to my mind!
Marriott would show the new point values in the customer front end for the last couple of years. CS, however, was able to see the correct (lower) point requirement. When you call to have the required number of points (technically a certificate) to a reservation, they will deduct the old and correct number of points from your account. At least in the past.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Both my Westin Osaka and RC Tokyo reservations went up. Hopefully they honour the reservations. I am waiting for my free annual cat 5 certificate and 60K points for the two stays, each just one night.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by funkbandit
Marriott would show the new point values in the customer front end for the last couple of years. CS, however, was able to see the correct (lower) point requirement.
Not just the past couple of years. This goes back as far as I can remember—a good decade, at least.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:13 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I just feel this is another round of gaming between Marriott and the members.... Who is going to win?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Marriott would show the new point values in the customer front end for the last couple of years. CS, however, was able to see the correct (lower) point requirement. When you call to have the required number of points (technically a certificate) to a reservation, they will deduct the old and correct number of points from your account. At least in the past.
My ambassador could not see the old points total at all, just the new value!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: BA
Bonvoy points "pay later" booking increased from 60k to 85k

Hi all,

My Marriott "pay later with points" booking increased from 60k to 85k per night today. Its for the W Maldives which moved from cat 7 to 8.

I though Marriott were honoring existing pay later bookings on the old points rate? Or am I incorrect?

Thanks
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by kennypanthew
Hi all,

My Marriott "pay later with points" booking increased from 60k to 85k per night today. Its for the W Maldives which moved from cat 7 to 8.

I though Marriott were honoring existing pay later bookings on the old points rate? Or am I incorrect?

Thanks
I believe they said they would, but you have to call in to have the reservation manually adjusted when you go to redeem the points.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
But we don’t know if this will work with free night certs.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl

But we don’t know if this will work with free night certs.
My strategy for nights I want to use free night certs was to order a point cert before the change. Swapping the certs is probably easier (and I have done it in the past, before the merger, in similar situations without a problem)/
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:04 am

Same thing happened to me. Just called CS, first rep told me that I had to call back 3 days before resv (in May) and they would take care of it. I said that sounded extremely risky to handle 3 days before flying across the world without any sort of confirmation. She transferred me to a supervisor who essentially just added the missing points to my account and attached the certificate.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: BA
Yeah I think I'd rather have the booking secured at the original points rate sooner rather than later. I'll have enough points in 10 days time for the booking (July). I'll post the outcome on here. Fingers crossed
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by dblue
Same thing happened to me. Just called CS, first rep told me that I had to call back 3 days before resv (in May) and they would take care of it. I said that sounded extremely risky to handle 3 days before flying across the world without any sort of confirmation. She transferred me to a supervisor who essentially just added the missing points to my account and attached the certificate.
which number did you call?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:37 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by kennypanthew
Yeah I think I'd rather have the booking secured at the original points rate sooner rather than later. I'll have enough points in 10 days time for the booking (July). I'll post the outcome on here. Fingers crossed
Yes, I dumped all my free nights and MR points on future reservations. So I locked in the old price.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:48 am

The number listed in the app as Titanium Support: 800-399-4229

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.