Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by hedoman
Yes, in the distant past.
My wife received 10,000 points for an expired Hyatt annual credit card night less than a year ago. When did the policy change?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
The timing of Hotel Bristol's category change could be perfect for me. I was planning on booking a 7-night award stay in Vienna for later this year anyway, so the change to a 35,000 point per night rate is the clincher for me to stay there. I have 2 Category 5 certificates sitting in my account (which I could now use for Hotel Bristol in a couple of days time) and since you can get 5 award nights for the price of 4, I can turn all of that into 7 nights for only 140,000 points. The average cost per night for a standard room for the dates I'm looking at is currently 390 EUR (589 CAD), so I'm loving the value that I can get out of those 140,000 points (+2 certificates). Now I just have to hope that 1 award night remains available for all 7 nights for the next 2 days!
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
In the past, it was a royal mess for when properties changed categories (it seemed to be based on the property’s timezone, and not the program or user). Is this still the case? So March 5 for Japan properties would be March 4 for North American users?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:52 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Does this mean my free night certificate (valid for 40k points) can now be used for "Category 6 - off peak" redemptions? How do i find out when that property considers it as "off-peak" ? Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:56 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by xar
Does this mean my free night certificate (valid for 40k points) can now be used for "Category 6 - off peak" redemptions? How do i find out when that property considers it as "off-peak" ? Thanks.
A 40K point certificate would be valid for such hotels, but peak and off-peak pricing isn't yet available. We've just been told that it will launch sometime this year. Until then we have no idea when peak and off peak dates will be, though I suspect that when it does launch, we'll just have to search for awards and see what price pops up (unlike with the old SPG Cats 5-7 peak pricing, where there was a central list of the applicable dates at each property).
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by bgriff
A 40K point certificate would be valid for such hotels, but peak and off-peak pricing isn't yet available. We've just been told that it will launch sometime this year. Until then we have no idea when peak and off peak dates will be, though I suspect that when it does launch, we'll just have to search for awards and see what price pops up (unlike with the old SPG Cats 5-7 peak pricing, where there was a central list of the applicable dates at each property).
I get the feeling peak is going to be common and off peak is going to be rare (pointsavers anyone?), and when it does occur, cash rates will be low enough that points redemptions don't make much sense. Hope I am wrong.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 10:49 pm

Just made another reservation at a property where it was suppose to change but the lower rate is still available, unlike past years where on US time some properties already changed the day before. Good IT system, good IT.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
My reservations made prior to 5th March now all show the increased Cat 8 rate rather than the Cat 7... is this something that I can call up and rectify or will this stick?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:50 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
What time zone are they using for the 5th of March? All hotels now show up with the old pricing initially but once you click to book the new higher pricing is charged in points....even for hotels that are located in a time zone e.g. US West Coast where it is still not the 5th of March?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Marriott's category increases countered !
Multiple speculative and concurrent points bookings placed for the hotels I may want to stay at by March 2020 that are going up in category

Originally Posted by Sydfly
What time zone are they using for the 5th of March? All hotels now show up with the old pricing initially but once you click to book the new higher pricing is charged in points....even for hotels that are located in a time zone e.g. US West Coast where it is still not the 5th of March?
based on EST
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:57 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Lucky me...

My MegaBonus brands got manually posted after 2 phone calls, and my AMEX free night cert showed up in my account on the 4th, so was able to get the lower points rates at my reservations I held.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by salehir
My reservations made prior to 5th March now all show the increased Cat 8 rate rather than the Cat 7... is this something that I can call up and rectify or will this stick?
If you already applied your points to the reservation, there is nothing to do. (If you cancel, you will get back what you paid.) If you made a points advance reservation, you will have to call and have an agent apply the correct number of points assuming Marriott doesn’t change its mind on honouring PA reservations.

You can’t “rectify” the reservation as hotel is now a Cat 8.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by margarita girl; Mar 5, 2019 at 5:29 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:31 am

An agent just told me PA booking are subjected to new category and original booking points rate were not guaranteed. My suggestion is keep trying with different agent.

Last edited by kodansha999; Mar 5, 2019 at 3:49 am
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:48 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl

If you already applied your pointsto the reservation, there is nothing to do. (If you cancel, you will get back what you paid.) If you made a points advance reservation, you will have to call and have an agent apply the correct number of points assuming Marriott doesn’t change its mind on honouring PA reservations.

You can’t “rectify” the reservation as hotel is now a Cat 8.
Originally Posted by kodansha999
An agent just told me PA booking are subjected to new category and original booking points rate were not guaranteed.

well the above really does not fill me with confidence...
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by salehir
well the above really does not fill me with confidence...
I didn’t chance it and applied points to all my PA reservations, but my comments were based on what was posted here

Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.