Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
It’s only a win if you can find a hotel you want to stay at with the cert. with the 25k certs that become much more difficult as it also has with the 35k.

the value is more about actually using earned points for a hotel night compared to paying for it. Not using the cert.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
I’m not saying there aren’t any 35k hotels worth staying at but your not getting value for the AF it the cert isn’t used for a night you’d otherwise actually spend money on or would have done if you didn’t have the cert to use before it expired.
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ripley62
It’s only a win if you can find a hotel you want to stay at with the cert. with the 25k certs that become much more difficult as it also has with the 35k.
I don't stay at hotels I don't want to stay at. Ergo, it's a win if I can burn a cert as opposed to having it expire unused.

And of course that's getting harder. That's kind of the whole point here. You're just restating the very obvious.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't stay at hotels I don't want to stay at.
Neither do I but I am sure there are people that don't want the certificates to expire so they actually go somewhere to use them even though they really didn't want to. I did this with the Hyatt CC certificates once and took a trip up to Boston just to use it since there were no hotels in NYC that were in the Cat. 1-4 range. After that I cancelled the Hyatt card. Point is the card and the attached certificate becomes less valuable to some with all the increases. I have both the Chase Marriott card and the Amex Starwood card and the Chase will be history when the renewal comes up due to several hotels I would want to use the certificate at going up to a category outside of the 35k certificate redemption value. I plan on keeping the Amex card because I have had it for centuries.
Happy likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by christianj
Point is the card and the attached certificate becomes less valuable to some with all the increases.
Yes, of course, that's a very obvious consequence that's been noted by many. We were responding to Ripley62's comment to the effect that current Cat 4/5 cert redemptions don't pencil out at a high enough value per point equivalent. The response is, "if I can burn a cert, I don't care about the equivalent per point value."
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:56 am

True but I think this (and the horrible merger integration) is making a lot of people look elsewhere. In the past I would almost blindly book a SPG hotel but now I'm finding myself looking at all the alternatives.
same here.. I’m going out of my way to book Hyatt as they have always made my loyalty feel valued
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Jim055
Net 69 properties went from category 5 to 6. All 4 of my CC certs properties took the hit. That's a 100% for me. Next, peak pricing will be the final nail in CC certs coffin. Bonvoyage Marriott.😚
I am definitely not the target they want, I freely admit that. I am just wrestling on whether keeping my SPG card will be worth it or not at this point. The only real benefit I see with it now that the last two local hotels I could have used the 35K annual night at are now priced out is Amex Offers, but I really don't use the Amex Offers that often.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by controller1
From reading this thread and others, it appears those of you with a number of years with Marriott should have expected these changes in general.

I see statements such as "[name of hotel] in [Any City, Any Country] is my favorite and it is increasing from a Category [x] to a Category [y]." Well, if it is your favorite hotel then perhaps it is hundreds or thousands of other members favorite hotel also. And since Marriott determines categories based on popularity of use of award reservations at said property, it is somewhat expected.

It was much better on the member with SPG as they based their award categories on a property's ADR. So yes, you might have a Four Points in San Francisco at a higher category than a full service property in the U.S. midwest, it was easier to justify because the regular rates and thus the ADR of the San Francisco property was higher than that midwest property.

Even though I prefer the SPG way of pricing award categories, it is hard to argue with Marriott's way of pricing award categories since it is based on the principal of supply and demand and the higher category properties are demanded more often in the form of award reservations than are the lower category properties.
This is just the way I look at it, I would have shrugged if 1-2 of the RIs, Fairfields, Springhills near Disney changed and at least giving us 1-4 category TPers an option and forewarning to use ASAP, but by changing all of them at one time, you are completely SOL unless you can quickly pull together a vacation. And I accept it is their right to do it, just saying it makes things that much tougher for me to use my TP and will make my decision for my upcoming 5 night stay in PDX to be switched to Hyatt so I can try to reach a milestone status on Hyatt and get 2 free lounge passes for 2020 much easier to stomach rather than stay at a Marriott as the redemption costs on their points just keep going up.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by BaconSF

same here.. I’m going out of my way to book Hyatt as they have always made my loyalty feel valued
hyatt announced category changes. Not as bad as I expected. Andaz and grand Hyatt New York dropping a cat

Last edited by BaconSF; Feb 11, 2019 at 3:14 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl

hyatt announced category changes. Not as bad as I expected. Andaz and grand Hyatt New York dropping a cat
Hyatt’s decreases in NYC are welcome considering Marriott’s increases in the city. Redeeming 20k WOH points for two full service Hyatt’s and the Andaz Wall Street vs 50k for numerous CY, FI and RI seems like a no-brainer.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator

And with Hyatt 130 hotels are going up one category and 129 hotels are going down one category. Unlike the 90% up 10% down at Marriott. That's not to say that the changes are all good--there's plenty to complain about there, too. But overall it's more balanced (Japan & Korea are up but Thailand, Australia, Turkey & India are down; Washington state is up but Texas is (90%) down; San Francisco is up but San Diego is down, etc.)
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
And with Hyatt 130 hotels are going up one category and 129 hotels are going down one category. Unlike the 90% up 10% down at Marriott. That's not to say that the changes are all good--there's plenty to complain about there, too. But overall it's more balanced (Japan & Korea are up but Thailand, Australia, Turkey & India are down; Washington state is up but Texas is (90%) down; San Francisco is up but San Diego is down, etc.)
You can't even compare the Hyatt category change to Starriott's now bi-annual bloodbaths. To begin with, Hyatt had a very modest devaluation in 2018 (almost no changes), and now we do see some expected changes (Bay Area/Seattle/Japan -- who's surprised by that given occupancy and rates?!), but frankly the most astounding thing about this category change is how many hotels are going down. And this includes some great hotels like Andaz London, PH Siem Reap, GH Bangkok, Andaz Singapore, GH Bali, tons of China properties, Centric Waikiki, some NYC properties -- not to mention the fact that some of these were good values before the devaluation compared to Starriott. Certainly, there are some changes that sting in this Hyatt announcement, but all the increases at places I'm familiar with are reasonable (given rates/occupancy). And the decreases create some real value spots on the Hyatt chart.
Happy and craigthemif like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Whoever is managing the loyalty program at Hyatt has done an excellent job. More reason to move stays to Hyatt where u don’t need to brace for two major devaluations every year.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 pm

I was researching booking Las Alcobas Napa over the weekend, before the change, and found some dates but didn't commit (my mistake, I know). Now I'm getting this error: We’re sorry. This property is not taking redemption bookings at this time. You can either book a cash reservation or search for another property.

Very frustrating. If they're going to make changes effective in the future, you should be able to actually book them before the effective date...
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:07 pm

Neither do I but I am sure there are people that don't want the certificates to expire so they actually go somewhere to use them even though they really didn't want to. I did this with the Hyatt CC certificates once and took a trip up to Boston just to use it since there were no hotels in NYC that were in the Cat. 1-4 range. After that I cancelled the Hyatt card. Point is the card and the attached certificate becomes less valuable to some with all the increases. I have both the Chase Marriott card and the Amex Starwood card and the Chase will be history when the renewal comes up due to several hotels I would want to use the certificate at going up to a category outside of the 35k certificate redemption value. I plan on keeping the Amex card because I have had it for centuries.
I hear that. Had 2 certs expiring May 2018. Live in Southern California. The eligible hotels here were, in a massive understatement, underwhelming. Hello 2 nights in an Oxnard Courtyard. For a "staycation" it was a bit of a bummer. Would've canceled the card even without a replacement. Will see how my free nights stack up this year (should have 2-- SPG Amex & Marriott Chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.