Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
CY as Cat 6 is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.
But everything about San Francisco is ridiculous. It's $68 + 14% tax just to park a car at some of those hotels.
naumank likes this.

Last edited by ehallison; Feb 10, 2019 at 7:08 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by conde
The category changes were predictable. We just didn't know which properties, or the scale of the changes. Very little good from this. It is nice to see the Bristol in Vienna drop to a Cat 5. That was the only hotel dropping a category which interests me.
Others in Europe are also dropping. Some very nice hotels in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland will drop one category and I don't see any increases in those countries, nor in Hungary (I was concerned about the Budapest Marriott, one of my favorite hotels).
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:39 am

There are two UK hotels listed that are no longer part of the Marriott family !!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Others in Europe are also dropping. Some very nice hotels in Austria, Germany, and Switzerland will drop one category and I don't see any increases in those countries, nor in Hungary (I was concerned about the Budapest Marriott, one of my favorite hotels).
The drops in Vienna are indeed nice but in Germany it’s just one hotel in Munich dropping that’s not even in the center of town.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
From reading this thread and others, it appears those of you with a number of years with Marriott should have expected these changes in general.

I see statements such as "[name of hotel] in [Any City, Any Country] is my favorite and it is increasing from a Category [x] to a Category [y]." Well, if it is your favorite hotel then perhaps it is hundreds or thousands of other members favorite hotel also. And since Marriott determines categories based on popularity of use of award reservations at said property, it is somewhat expected.

It was much better on the member with SPG as they based their award categories on a property's ADR. So yes, you might have a Four Points in San Francisco at a higher category than a full service property in the U.S. midwest, it was easier to justify because the regular rates and thus the ADR of the San Francisco property was higher than that midwest property.

Even though I prefer the SPG way of pricing award categories, it is hard to argue with Marriott's way of pricing award categories since it is based on the principal of supply and demand and the higher category properties are demanded more often in the form of award reservations than are the lower category properties.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kacee
In the context of ongoing program devaluation as Marriott leverages its market position, yes.
Sure. But at some point Marrirot (sic) may find that the rotting program value customers get out of the program's points makes the customers more likely to shop based on factors that Marriott may not like and which may also cost Marriott some revenue from selling points to loyalty program partners. But much as with the US airline industry's cartel kingpins, a consolidating hotel industry's cartel kingpins may also encourage lemming behavior at home and beyond as long as it seems to provide more immediate returns for the company regardless of the longer-term consequences on the business.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
From reading this thread and others, it appears those of you with a number of years with Marriott should have expected these changes in general.

I see statements such as "[name of hotel] in [Any City, Any Country] is my favorite and it is increasing from a Category [x] to a Category [y]." Well, if it is your favorite hotel then perhaps it is hundreds or thousands of other members favorite hotel also. And since Marriott determines categories based on popularity of use of award reservations at said property, it is somewhat expected.

It was much better on the member with SPG as they based their award categories on a property's ADR. So yes, you might have a Four Points in San Francisco at a higher category than a full service property in the U.S. midwest, it was easier to justify because the regular rates and thus the ADR of the San Francisco property was higher than that midwest property.

Even though I prefer the SPG way of pricing award categories, it is hard to argue with Marriott's way of pricing award categories since it is based on the principal of supply and demand and the higher category properties are demanded more often in the form of award reservations than are the lower category properties.
I thought SPG used something like a property's annual revenue or profitability to determine its category, but I guess it was ADR. Whatever the case, one argument Marriott made for the merger was they needed it help compete with Airbnb and similar. I haven't seen MR do anything to address this.

Ironically, since the merger is making MR less rewarding, they're actually driving loyal customers to try other brands or Airbnb.
GUWonder, Happy, dcstudent and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ehallison
But everything about San Francisco is ridiculous. It's $68 + 14% tax just to park a car at some of those hotels.
Chicago is the same thing, so as NYC. DC area is not far behind.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rrgg
Ironically, since the merger is making MR less rewarding, they're actually driving loyal customers to try other brands or Airbnb.
Marriott is so large the cards are stacked against the consumer.
dw and Happy like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
I thought SPG used something like a property's annual revenue or profitability to determine its category, but I guess it was ADR. Whatever the case, one argument Marriott made for the merger was they needed it help compete with Airbnb and similar. I haven't seen MR do anything to address this.

I agree, I think it’s largely due to arrogance. They have the largest global footprint and they’re fully leveraging that advantage
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by BaconSF
They have the largest global footprint and they’re fully leveraging that advantage
True but I think this (and the horrible merger integration) is making a lot of people look elsewhere. In the past I would almost blindly book a SPG hotel but now I'm finding myself looking at all the alternatives. I just stayed at Hilton branded hotel at FRA (when I normally would have booked the Sheraton FRA), I am going to Vegas soon and there I booked the Waldorf Astoria for the first time (instead of staying at the Westin or the Cosmo) and for a trip to Greece this summer I've gone to an Independent Boutique hotel instead of one of the Marriott options. Will I completely abandon Marriott...no but I certainly am not as loyal to them as I was to SPG since loyalty is a two way street. Again YMMV so someone else might think different but this is how this is all playing out for me.

I just do NOT get that warm and fuzzy trusting feeling with Marriott that I had with Starwood and they've given us several reasons recently to feel this way.

I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop on the peak award pricing and then I think there's going to be a lot more people playing the free agent field.

Last edited by christianj; Feb 11, 2019 at 6:23 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
CC certs

Marriott sets the reward category not in hotel price or quality but redemption demand. They just switch to mostly CC certs of 35k. Thus greater demand on properties in the category. This is a great example designed inflation.

In most cases, even for 5th night free redemptions, remaining loyal to creat MR point for Hotel redemptions wasn’t the best usage of MR, now BR, points. It’s easy to 1ccp transfered to airlines. Hotel nights are often around ½ ccp.

But the CC don’t give point but certs. In a short couple of years 25k certs being useful, thus the cards worth their annual fee. To being difficult to find a place to use them. Now the 35k certs are become just as much deadwood. Hotel earnings alone are no reason to keep the Marriott branded credit cards. It’s just silly to use a 35k cert for a hotel I can purchase for $150-200/night but that’s what these catagory changes do since they’re unrelated to the actual purchase cost of night. There not much encentive in loyalty.

The price difference between getting a basic room and status upgrade with lounge access and no status but getting a package with breakfast isn’t much for leisure travel. It’s not a big step to just ignore the brand an only look at immediate price forgetting the reducing benefits of a loyalty program
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Of course this has never, ever happened befre, but just in case something gets quietly changed, attached is todays version of the category change pdf for future reference.
Attached Images
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Ripley62

But the CC don’t give point but certs. In a short couple of years 25k certs being useful, thus the cards worth their annual fee. To being difficult to find a place to use them. Now the 35k certs are become just as much deadwood. Hotel earnings alone are no reason to keep the Marriott branded credit cards. It’s just silly to use a 35k cert for a hotel I can purchase for $150-200/night but that’s what these catagory changes do since they’re unrelated to the actual purchase cost of night. There not much encentive in loyalty.
I'll disagree with this. While you might not want to cash in 35K points when that only saves you 0.5 cents per point, if you're paying $95 annual fee and getting a cert you can use to save $150-200, that's a win.
Counsellor and dw like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by swag
I'll disagree with this. While you might not want to cash in 35K points when that only saves you 0.5 cents per point, if you're paying $95 annual fee and getting a cert you can use to save $150-200, that's a win.
Yeah, I view being able to use a cert as a win, regardless of calculated redemption value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.