Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: swag
Print Wikipost

Annual Award Category Changes - Effective March 5, 2019.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's what's most bothersome to me. They're making the certs ever harder to use. There were still a number of limited service Manhattan properties that were still achievable, but that list is getting decimated. SkyCity Marriott also really hurts.

JW Singapore at Cat 7 as well.
I just noticed that many Cat 4 in Florida have gone up. 2 RIs in good Chicago locations go from 4 to 5. Miami and San Francisco are decimated as well.
There are other examples in the category adjustment that have destroyed value how ever little that remained from the previous adjustment.
I cannot believe how some can still defend the program no matter what.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Happy
I just noticed that many Cat 4 in Florida have gone up. 2 RIs in good Chicago locations go from 4 to 5. Miami and San Francisco are decimated as well.
Yes this was a focused, and thus particularly impactful devaluation. We can expect more of the same in the future, because Marriott's model, which bases award prices on award demand, will naturally result in driving the few remaining decent Cat 4/5 options into higher categories.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jim055
Net 69 properties went from category 5 to 6. All 4 of my CC certs properties took the hit. That's a 100% for me. Next, peak pricing will be the final nail in CC certs coffin. Bonvoyage Marriott.😚
peak pricing will hit those with kids that are trying to redeem points/certs
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:11 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Happy
Miami and San Francisco are decimated as well.
The only changes in SF were to Courtyards, so no significant impact there.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
courtyard moving into cat 6 is a big deal IMO. Many properties in LA have gone up a category as well
Happy and nexusCFX like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:09 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes this was a focused, and thus particularly impactful devaluation. We can expect more of the same in the future, because Marriott's model, which bases award prices on award demand, will naturally result in driving the few remaining decent Cat 4/5 options into higher categories.
I wonder though if any longtime Marriott loyalists can shed some light -- I would think, if Marriott's points pricing scheme is based mainly on demand for awards at a given property, I can totally see how the cheapest properties in places like NY, SF, TYO, etc., are going to get lots of award business and thus might end up going up in price the next time around.

But then, I would think that may create some movement back and forth, because if suddenly all the Courtyards in San Francisco cost the same number of points as some of the objectively higher-end properties, won't those Courtyards suddenly see a big drop in award redemptions the next year (why not spend the same number of points at a nicer hotel?), and possibly drop back down in the future? Or does that second part not seem to happen?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
CY as Cat 6 is ridiculous no matter how you slice it.
dw, christianj, nexusCFX and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bgriff
I wonder though if any longtime Marriott loyalists can shed some light -- I would think, if Marriott's points pricing scheme is based mainly on demand for awards at a given property, I can totally see how the cheapest properties in places like NY, SF, TYO, etc., are going to get lots of award business and thus might end up going up in price the next time around.

But then, I would think that may create some movement back and forth, because if suddenly all the Courtyards in San Francisco cost the same number of points as some of the objectively higher-end properties, won't those Courtyards suddenly see a big drop in award redemptions the next year (why not spend the same number of points at a nicer hotel?), and possibly drop back down in the future? Or does that second part not seem to happen?
The second part if happens, takes more than one cycle to happen. Meanwhile the affordable / reasonable properties are getting destroyed systematically.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:24 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

After using my two TPs (NC 6 and and NC 7) and 500,000 MRs, I'm going to downsize on Marriott program. If 35k properties are hard to come by, I'm going to downsize on Marriott credit cards too. I use Marriott mostly for family vacations and I do not want to take family to some average 35k hotels. Some of the 35k gems have gone up in points.

Then it will be Hyatt and everything else. Marriott does not want our royalty. Not rewarded.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
The category changes were predictable. We just didn't know which properties, or the scale of the changes. Very little good from this. It is nice to see the Bristol in Vienna drop to a Cat 5. That was the only hotel dropping a category which interests me.

On the other hand, the W Hong Kong going to a Cat 8? The W Hong Kong usually has room rates ~$300 USD per night. What are the Bonvoy Boneheads at Marriott smoking?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:51 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by conde
The category changes were predictable. We just didn't know which properties, or the scale of the changes. Very little good from this. It is nice to see the Bristol in Vienna drop to a Cat 5. That was the only hotel dropping a category which interests me.

On the other hand, the W Hong Kong going to a Cat 8? The W Hong Kong usually has room rates ~$300 USD per night. What are the Bonvoy Boneheads at Marriott smoking?
No matter what changes Marriott makes. If far more properties go up in cost than properties doing down, then the Marriott program goes down in value. Or Marriott reward program has been devalued again in March 2019. Of course Marriott point goes down in value too.

If more values are taken away from the 35k level, then I see more folks are cancelling the Chase/AmEx Marriott credit cards. To counter it, Marriott should allow people to upgrade those 35k annual certificates. Or those reward night certificates become a liability. We do not want to spend the efforts to do the mattress run toward the end of the year...

Last edited by RedSun; Feb 9, 2019 at 6:28 pm
Old Feb 9, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I’m out. Just cancelled my Marriott CC and my upcoming paid bookings.

Burning through the rest of my points and then switching my strategy to something like hotels.com discounts or redeeming Amex offers. 😜

None of the big hotel rewards programs are sufficient to keep my business.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by conde
The category changes were predictable.
In the context of ongoing program devaluation as Marriott leverages its market position, yes.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Ah, Marriott and Westin Grand Cayman both moving up a category. Knew that points value was too good to be true!
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
Wow.... every single property I am considering to use my OC1-5 travel package cerficate on is going up to NC5. And I can't commit to dates now. Ugh....
Yup, I was hoping to go with my family to Disneyland (after getting a one year extension on my TP certificate) but now it seems like that is out the window, at least at places that serve breakfast. This was a major blow. Also, the last two Hawaii hotels I could use my SPG annual night just got bumped too, so the CC is now in danger of getting dumped as I don't have a "desperation" reservation option anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.