Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How does Bed Type work when it isn't offered on the reservation page?

Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm looking at making a reservation, but for numerous hotels, the room type states something like:
"Guest room, 1 King or 2 Twin/Single Bed(s)"

There don't appear to be separate reservation options for 1 King, 2 Twin, etc like SPG almost invariably used to offer.

How does bed type work at these properties? Does it just mean they are unable to guarantee it beforehand? Quite disappointing if so.

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Details? Location?

If this is some special rate, such as a conference room block, it could be just a "run of house" room, meaning you get whatever is available at check in. I'm guessing this because the term guest room doesn't indicate a room category either.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:11 am
Original Poster

I'm guessing you're right that it's ROH, but it appears even when using a non-special rate.

I have seen it at numerous properties (which is why I didn't mention one in the OP); an example of one is Gritti Palace Venice where the "Deluxe, Guest room" offers no definite choice of bed type at any rate.

Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CD747
I'm guessing you're right that it's ROH, but it appears even when using a non-special rate.

I have seen it at numerous properties (which is why I didn't mention one in the OP); an example of one is Gritti Palace Venice where the "Deluxe, Guest room" offers no definite choice of bed type at any rate.

Thanks!
However, "Deluxe" would be a room category, probably their lowest.

BTW, IIRC MR and now Starriott only guarantee bed type for elites, so if you book two beds and get one or vv, I don't think there's any recourse.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply However I am a Marriott (SPG) Elite, Platinum, the issue is that no choice of bed type is offered at reservation time, for cash or award, whether signed in or not.

To quote an example: the Sheraton Charles de Gaulle offers multiple rooms for a single room type, and I can choose between Twin, Double, etc. This is how SPG always worked - fine.

Paris Marriott Charles de Gaulle Airport Hotel states "1 King or 2 Twin/Single Bed(s)" as the room type, with no option to specify. But if I choose this room, I can at least then select bed type under "Guaranteed Room Features" etc on the second page. Different... but also fine.

Gritti Palace, like the Paris Marriott above, states "1 King or 2 Twin" as the room type, but doesn't offer bed type as a guaranteed room feature selection on that second page.

It seems peculiar to me that this is property specific and not brand specific!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:45 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
You might try calling the Plat Customer Service line to see if an agent can set a specific bed-type for you. I tried to look over the Marriott Rewards T&Cs, but it looks like Marriott has changed the "bed-type" guarantee for elites to just a "priority". I have no idea how this would be enforced, if a Plat or above is not given "priority" to their room type request. There is a compensation table, but how that would work is anyone's guess as the hotel will always say they gave you priority and still ran out.

Maybe one of the Lurkers can expound on how someone should know if they are due the Bed-type guarantee or not?
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Thanks for the reply However I am a Marriott (SPG) Elite, Platinum, the issue is that no choice of bed type is offered at reservation time, for cash or award, whether signed in or not.

To quote an example: the Sheraton Charles de Gaulle offers multiple rooms for a single room type, and I can choose between Twin, Double, etc. This is how SPG always worked - fine.

Paris Marriott Charles de Gaulle Airport Hotel states "1 King or 2 Twin/Single Bed(s)" as the room type, with no option to specify. But if I choose this room, I can at least then select bed type under "Guaranteed Room Features" etc on the second page. Different... but also fine.

Gritti Palace, like the Paris Marriott above, states "1 King or 2 Twin" as the room type, but doesn't offer bed type as a guaranteed room feature selection on that second page.

It seems peculiar to me that this is property specific and not brand specific!
I've found the same issue quite frustrating, as well. As another example, the Stones Legian (Autograph Collection in Bali) only offers the "1 King or 2 Twin/Single Bed(s)" but the choices on the next page are "1 King" or "1 Twin"! It's not a special rate issue as this occurs with normal rates across dates.

I've settled on adding the bed type to the "special requests" section (manual text) and reminding them when I get the "concierge email." While I think the likelihood of an elite not getting their requested bed type is low, there is still some degree of risk so this wouldn't work if you must have a specific room type.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:37 pm

Base room here for points redemption is a queen. I thought we were guaranteed 1 King or 2 double/queens as a "standard room" at any property for points redemptions? As a platinum member it's particularly disappointing how small these standard rooms look.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
I just looked at one of my reservations for an upcoming stay that showed similar language for the bed type. This is a snapshot of what my reservation is:

We have always gotten a King-to the point I call properties when we actually need 2 queens/doubles if that's what we want for a particular trip. Check your booking or do a dummy booking to see what shows up. If you do a dummy booking make sure to cancel immediately if it is not to your liking.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Another area where MR was superior to SPG. In the past, when reserving at a Marriott hotel where it shows "1 king / 2 double beds" or whatever, in the room preferences section you just had to put "king bed" and it was guaranteed--with a $200 compensation if the hotel didn't follow through. Now they seem to be adopting the inferior SPG standard where you book specific room types including beds, and if what you want isn't available (no matter what elite level you are) then you're just out of luck.

See the post immediately above mine for an example of what I'm talking about.

Last edited by DJ_Iceman; Jun 4, 2019 at 6:54 pm Reason: referencing post above mine
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’m seeing this a lot recently - it’s basically a way for properties to get around the bed type guarantee, but done in a way where they don’t even collect your preferences which strikes me as being incredibly lazy.

I’m not sure we can really blame SPG for this. In SPG times one just booked the room one wanted with the bed time desired. Obviously if other people had already taken all those rooms it would be unavailable.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:47 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
In SPG times one just booked the room one wanted with the bed time desired. Obviously if other people had already taken all those rooms it would be unavailable.
My understanding for Starwood award room reservations, the bed-type was never guaranteed. With Marriott, bed type was guaranteed even for award reservations, but I agree that it looks like Marriott for at least award reservations, no longer guarantees the bed type.

From the Marriott Bonvoy T&Cs (section 3.2.e.ii): "With an Award Redemption Stay, bedding and smoking preferences may be requested, but are not guaranteed."
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
SPG didn't need guarantees, due to the higher level of CS and property adherence to T&Cs...Marriott, not so much, thus the guarantee @:-)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 11:01 pm

Thanks!
We just left the Gritti a week ago (Giglio prestige room, but still with a King sized bed). On arrival, they asked if we wanted it split (travelling with my mom), which we did. In Europe, twin beds are usually side by side, like a king bed, but with separate bedding, which is exactly what we got. At the Gritti, the Venetian rooms only have a queen size, so they wouldn’t be able to split that. They also asked at the St Regis Florence if we wanted our bed split, which we did, but they never actually did it, so I can only assume it would have been the same as at the Gritti, because in the bedroom area of the Deluxe Suite, there wouldn’t have been room for anything other than that.
clublounger likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by hipquest
This could be more of an IT issue. The "Room 1" description at the top may be being pulled from a standard table of room type definitions/descriptions. Then, down below highlighted in yellow, that looks like info from your specific booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.