Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Point Advance Reservations [*to be discontinued 28 March 2023*]

Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Effective 14 Sept 2019 from VFTW:

Points advance locks in the room not the rate.

Effective September 14 pricing that will apply to points advance bookings will be the current price at the time the member actually redeems points to cover the reservation. This will no longer be a way to lock in current pricing on the if-come. And with high season dates, which can change each month, the price of the room may vary up until the time of redemption.

Marriott tells me that for reservations made prior to September 14 they will honor up to 5 points advance bookings at the standard rate even if those reservations fall on a peak date.

From Marriott email:
Starting September 14, You will be permitted a maximum of three Points Advance reservations at any time
Before September 14, please take the following steps to reduce your Points Advance reservations to adhere to the upcoming policy.
Cancel any remaining Points Advance reservations or convert them to a paid rate.
If you’re unable to complete this before September 14, we’ll contact you at the phone number listed in your account to help you resolve any excess reservations.
For Points Advance reservation(s) made before September 14 only: When you redeem, if any night has a Peak rate, call us and we’ll adjust the night to its Standard rate. If you need to change your reservation, you’ll receive the available redemption rate when you rebook
From Marriott Lurker: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31525589-post1.html
As a reminder, any reservations booked with points made prior to today will remain at the reserved Standard redemption rate. However, if you need to change that reservation, you may see a new redemption rate when you rebook. If the hotel you booked moves into Off-Peak, you can rebook at the new, lower redemption rate and then cancel the original reservation (standard cancellation time periods apply).

Maximum of 3 Points Advance bookings at a time
Marriott will be updating their terms to limit members to three points advance bookings at a time. Expect to hear from Marriott if you make a bunch of points advance reservations.
Print Wikipost

Point Advance Reservations [*to be discontinued 28 March 2023*]

Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:44 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
They did reach out to "loyalty support" and that came out negative too. I emailed Bonvoy Champion, email bounced back to tell me to email Marriott Social Media service, which I did, and the email bounced back undeliverable. I tried to PM Bonvoy Lurker, that failed, and the old Starwood Lurkers are not active. So I have no idea who to contact. Any advice welcome
It seems you ma have some bad email addresses?

You can send a private message to a Marriott Bonvoy Lurker here via FlyerTalk. That should solve the problem.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by bhrubin

It seems you ma have some bad email addresses?

You can send a private message to a Marriott Bonvoy Lurker here via FlyerTalk. That should solve the problem.
I took the emails from: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...oy-lurker.html (their profile)
Also, PMing that particular Lurker does not work as they would seem to have disabled their incoming PMs.

Should I PM one of the numbered ones? Any suggestion on which one?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I took the emails from: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/memb...oy-lurker.html (their profile)
Also, PMing that particular Lurker does not work as they would seem to have disabled their incoming PMs.

Should I PM one of the numbered ones? Any suggestion on which one?
I’ve had no issue sending a private message to any Bonvoy Lurker.

The correct email is

[email protected]
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I’ve had no issue sending a private message to any Bonvoy Lurker.

The correct email is

[email protected]
I swear, I'm not a total n00bcake
- emailing that email address gets this automated email back (oddly, from "Champion, SPG"): "This email address is no longer in service. Please re-submit your message to [email protected]."
- emailing that email address gives "[email protected]: The email address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's email address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your email admin."
- PMing "Marriott Bonvoy Lurker" gives " Marriott Bonvoy Lurker has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her. "

[edit] I seem to have successfully PM'd Lurker III. Hope that works.... but kinda wish the above were a little bit more functional. :P
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I swear, I'm not a total n00bcake
- emailing that email address gets this automated email back (oddly, from "Champion, SPG"): "This email address is no longer in service. Please re-submit your message to [email protected]."
- emailing that email address gives "[email protected]: The email address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's email address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your email admin."
- PMing "Marriott Bonvoy Lurker" gives " Marriott Bonvoy Lurker has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her. "
I just sent a PM to Bonvoy Lurker II with no issue.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:55 am

I’m really confused. I booked the Suiran in January when it was 60K. I now had the points deducted at 85K. When I call, I’m told that they aren’t honouring the old points rate because the “hotel changed categories”. Am I crazy and misunderstanding the meaning of “honouring”?...

Any advice on what I should do? I’m terrified to even TRY to apply points to my subsequent Maldives PA bookings ...
I have had dozens of PA bookings fufilled that underwent a category change. Calling during the weekend you usually are given the run around... loyalty team will get back to you...etc. Means nothing. Call during the week and if you get a agent that is not familiar with the process request for supervisor. I have had calls take 5-10min to get it sorted out while others almost 45min. Agents claiming not "honoring" the old points rate because of the "hotel changed categories" is complete bs, been told that many times, just HUCA.
Happy, bhrubin and morphogencc like this.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by eye84u

I have had dozens of PA bookings fufilled that underwent a category change. Calling during the weekend you usually are given the run around... loyalty team will get back to you...etc. Means nothing. Call during the week and if you get a agent that is not familiar with the process request for supervisor. I have had calls take 5-10min to get it sorted out while others almost 45min. Agents claiming not "honoring" the old points rate because of the "hotel changed categories" is complete bs, been told that many times, just HUCA.
Understood. I thought it would be the same thing. I’ll give it a go during the week again.

Thanks!
Old Sep 8, 2019, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by eye84u

Thanks for the reminder. My 5 PA peak reservation traps are set. Awaiting for September 14th to pocket my loot
Old Sep 10, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
So I reached out to Bonvoy Lurker, was told:

Points Advance Reservations booked prior to March 5, 2019 Category changes and those booked before August 18, 2018 Category changes: The Points Advance Reservation will be honored at the original Award Redemption Rate quoted to the Member at the time of booking, as long as no changes are made to dates, room type, or rate booked. ​​​​​

Please let us know after your stay so we can follow up to refund the points difference to you.
Which was encouraging to hear that my booking would be honored, but I would prefer to have everything taken care of right away rather than try to have Marriott refund points to me later.

Loyalty Support also got back to me with a similar answer:

Every year, Marriott Bonvoy™ reviews the redemption activity and category at each hotel. Occasionally, during the year, a hotel may change categories based on individual hotel market changes.

I want to assure you that the original 60,000 points will be honored per your reservation.
But again, no real action promised to resolve it or confirm my reservation. My biggest concern at this point was that I didn't *have* 340,000 points for my reservation, so my reservation would get cancelled if 14 days out I didn't have the (incorrect) elevated redemption value of 340,000, instead of the correct value of 240,000 (which I *did* have).

I was just about to call Titanium Support again, and I checked my account and saw the following in my activity:

09/09/2019 Rewards Standard Redemption Rate -340,000 Rewards
09/09/2019 Bonus Reward Adjustment +100,000 Points
So it looks like the system automatically took care of it, or someone I contacted fixed it without telling me that's what they were going to do. It's a bit odd that this happened 18 days before my PA reservation (instead of 14, which is when points should be automatically deducted). But, it looks like everything turned out okay.
Happy and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AP, BA, AS, UA, WS
I got 3 PA bookings in place (2 I'll likely use, 1 is backup) for mid-2020. I wanted to make 2 more backup PA reservations for 4Q 2020, but the find&reserve only goes out to Aug/Sep 2020... so no way around this right?
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:39 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by YKMV
I got 3 PA bookings in place (2 I'll likely use, 1 is backup) for mid-2020. I wanted to make 2 more backup PA reservations for 4Q 2020, but the find&reserve only goes out to Aug/Sep 2020... so no way around this right?
Right.
YKMV likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:04 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Here is the complete email I received from Marriott regarding the Point Advance booking made prior and after 9/14/2019. I believe we are allowed to keep 3 Point Advance booking at all time. I'm not sure if the limit is 5 PA bookings before the 9/14/2019 change. I could be wrong.

ACT NOW

Consolidate your Points Advance reservations.

xxxxxx, starting September 14, Marriott Bonvoy™ will offer these redemption rates for free nights: Off-Peak, Standard and Peak.

Also on that day, we’re updating the Points Advance reservation benefit for all members: You will be permitted a maximum of three Points Advance reservations at any time.

KEEP, CANCEL, CONVERT.
Before September 14, please take the following steps to reduce your Points Advance reservations to adhere to the upcoming policy:

1. Log in to your account on marriott.com and navigate to the “My Trips” tab.
2. Keep the Points Advance reservations you intend to use.
3. Cancel any remaining Points Advance reservations or convert them to a paid rate.
If you’re unable to complete this before September 14, we’ll contact you at the phone number listed in your account to help you resolve any excess reservations.

THINGS TO KNOW:

Use marriott.com to find the number of points you need before you redeem. Each night of your stay could be Off-Peak, Standard or Peak.

You’ll lock in each night’s rate when you redeem your points, not when you make your reservation. Watch our video for details.

For Points Advance reservation(s) made before September 14 only: When you redeem, if any night has a Peak rate, call us and we’ll adjust the night to its Standard rate. If you need to change your reservation, you’ll receive the available redemption rate when you rebook. See terms and conditions.

Old Sep 12, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, Hyatt Explorist, United Silver
This is the answer I received regarding my PA reservation booked prior to 3/5/19 for a old category 5 hotel that is now a category 6.

Thank you for your message.

The Points Advance Reservation will be honored at the original Award Redemption Rate quoted to you at the time of booking, as long as no changes are made to dates, room type, or rate booked.

The system will deduct the amount of points needed for the current hotel category, and you may call customer service to credit the difference of points to your account two days before arrival.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

My concern is what if I don’t have the 200,000 points in my account and only have 140,000 points? Will my reservation by canceled?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:01 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by BrettMCA
The Points Advance Reservation will be honored at the original Award Redemption Rate quoted to you at the time of booking, as long as no changes are made to dates, room type, or rate booked.

The system will deduct the amount of points needed for the current hotel category, and you may call customer service to credit the difference of points to your account two days before arrival.

My concern is what if I don’t have the 200,000 points in my account and only have 140,000 points? Will my reservation by canceled?
Marriott will reach you some days (how long?) before the stay to arrange the points. Then you can either buy the points, or get the reservation cancelled.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by BrettMCA
This is the answer I received regarding my PA reservation booked prior to 3/5/19 for a old category 5 hotel that is now a category 6.

Thank you for your message.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

This also suggests that while they will be honoring the original rate for stays paid with points, they won't be able to honor the rate for a certificate stay. Example, reserve at 35K now, that night becomes 40K peak, want to pay with a 35K cert. (Since they won't be able to "deduct the amount of points needed").

Is that correct?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.