Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Point Advance Reservations [*to be discontinued 28 March 2023*]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Effective 14 Sept 2019 from VFTW:

Points advance locks in the room not the rate.

Effective September 14 pricing that will apply to points advance bookings will be the current price at the time the member actually redeems points to cover the reservation. This will no longer be a way to lock in current pricing on the if-come. And with high season dates, which can change each month, the price of the room may vary up until the time of redemption.

Marriott tells me that for reservations made prior to September 14 they will honor up to 5 points advance bookings at the standard rate even if those reservations fall on a peak date.

From Marriott email:
Starting September 14, You will be permitted a maximum of three Points Advance reservations at any time
Before September 14, please take the following steps to reduce your Points Advance reservations to adhere to the upcoming policy.
Cancel any remaining Points Advance reservations or convert them to a paid rate.
If you’re unable to complete this before September 14, we’ll contact you at the phone number listed in your account to help you resolve any excess reservations.
For Points Advance reservation(s) made before September 14 only: When you redeem, if any night has a Peak rate, call us and we’ll adjust the night to its Standard rate. If you need to change your reservation, you’ll receive the available redemption rate when you rebook
From Marriott Lurker: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31525589-post1.html
As a reminder, any reservations booked with points made prior to today will remain at the reserved Standard redemption rate. However, if you need to change that reservation, you may see a new redemption rate when you rebook. If the hotel you booked moves into Off-Peak, you can rebook at the new, lower redemption rate and then cancel the original reservation (standard cancellation time periods apply).

Maximum of 3 Points Advance bookings at a time
Marriott will be updating their terms to limit members to three points advance bookings at a time. Expect to hear from Marriott if you make a bunch of points advance reservations.
Print Wikipost

Point Advance Reservations [*to be discontinued 28 March 2023*]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I use points advance once/year. I know the date/property every year. I always have the points by the time of the reservation, but because it's a popular property I often have to book almost a year out & points advance has allowed me to do that. If I had to wait to get the points required, odds are I wouldn't be able to stay at the property. Points advance was/is a huge MAR bennie.
This seems reasonable and the intended purpose of the feature - but I would think that there would also be a cap on it, so just surprised that there wasn't (isn't?). I would imagine there to be people out there making dozens of such reservations, either purely speculatively or even at an attempt for inventory manipulation. If this feature is also truly automated I would think that it would present a risk for malicious attacks as well - spam accounts automatically placing tons of rooms on hold and blocking up inventory.

Of course, the other argument to be made is that allowing that inventory to go to people who have actually earned the needed points would be more beneficial to elites on the whole because properties would be less booked up with speculative reservations (possibly a partial root cause of why you're having to book a year out to begin with...).

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You would think with points advance that there was a risk that all the top hotels would be booked up by people holding lots of bookings, and coincidentally almost all the top ex-SPG hotels are now almost impossible to get on points.
Interesting observation...
Old May 10, 2019, 9:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
⚠️ It seems that Marriott also disabled access to the Points Advance feature if the intended stay starts in 30 days or less! The only option offered in that case is to purchase points
Old May 10, 2019, 9:17 pm
Suspended

Points Advance not available when booking stays that start within 30 days

It seems that Marriott also disabled access to the Points Advance feature if the intended stay starts in 30 days or less! The only option offered in that case is to purchase points
Old May 10, 2019, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Do you have proof that this is now a policy? Is this via the app or via the website (MAR IT sucks, but on certain things website better than app).

Did you try calling MAR CS & getting them to do points advance? Did they turn you down & tell you the 30 day clause? You do need to have them 1-2 weeks in advance btw.

Anyway, more information is needed than a(nother) blanket statement on something stating it as the truth. Not saying it is or isn't, but more than one data point is needed.

Please check w/ MAR on Monday.

Cheers.
EuropeanPete and GalaxyChris like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Try to make a dummy reservation and see for yourself
Old May 10, 2019, 11:36 pm

Could it be that Marriott wants points in your account 30 days before the stay instead of the previous 14 days? Maybe, but it has not updated in the T&Cs.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Try to make a dummy reservation and see for yourself
Please check w/ MAR on Monday & get back to us to confirm this is now official policy. If it is, thanks for the heads up. If not, then adjust the post title.

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, United, Southwest
Sorry if this as been asked and answered multiple times. If it was I couldn't find it (or didn't understand). Mine is a points advance and Chase/Amex Free night problem.

In January I made a points advance reservation (35,000 points hotel) intending to use a free night once it had been earned. Free night has now been earned but hotel is now 50,000 points. When I couldn't apply the free night certificate online, I called customer service. I explained the situation, was on hold while she talked to supervisor and was eventually told the credit card free night could not be added b/c of the points changed. I was told that I could pay with points and they would add the extra 15,000 points to make it work but that couldn't be done with the Chase/Amex free night. What can/should I do:

1/ HUCA. I tried once but was cut-off while on hold.
2/ Wait to see if Marriott solves this problem. I have a bit of time since the reservation isn't until September, but that could mean losing other ways to use the night if I wait.
3/Give up. Move one. I've been Bonvoyed!
Old May 11, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mary mary
Sorry if this as been asked and answered multiple times. If it was I couldn't find it (or didn't understand). Mine is a points advance and Chase/Amex Free night problem.

In January I made a points advance reservation (35,000 points hotel) intending to use a free night once it had been earned. Free night has now been earned but hotel is now 50,000 points. When I couldn't apply the free night certificate online, I called customer service. I explained the situation, was on hold while she talked to supervisor and was eventually told the credit card free night could not be added b/c of the points changed. I was told that I could pay with points and they would add the extra 15,000 points to make it work but that couldn't be done with the Chase/Amex free night. What can/should I do:

1/ HUCA. I tried once but was cut-off while on hold.
2/ Wait to see if Marriott solves this problem. I have a bit of time since the reservation isn't until September, but that could mean losing other ways to use the night if I wait.
3/Give up. Move one. I've been Bonvoyed!
You can’t retroactively apply a FN cert to a points advance res where the number of points required has increased beyond the certificate’s value. Discussed at length in this thread Will existing "Points Advance" reservations raise in price on March 5th??? with the most recent discussion starting at post #142 .
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31064193-post142.html
TerryK likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mary mary
......credit card free night could not be added b/c of the points changed. I was told that I could pay with points and they would add the extra 15,000 points to make it work but that couldn't be done with the Chase/Amex free night........
Here is your answer.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by myperks
I have never made a points advance reservation over the phone. Previously you can do it online even if you have enough points to cover it. Now you need to be in a deficit to make it online. (Lots of ways around it).
I've read about this change several places, but the one thing I can't quite figure out is why it would matter whether you're holding a refundable reservation with points, as opposed to making a points advance reservation and leaving the points in your account?

It seems like either way, you either end up paying the points for the stay, or getting the points refunded when you cancel.

(Obviously there's a utility in being able to have more reservations than points, but you appear to still be able to do that.)
Old May 16, 2019, 11:54 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
How long does it take for purchased points to appear in your account? It's been 2+ days since I did the purchase but still not in my Marriott account.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Are the points in advance always taken automatically following chronological order of the reservations?

If I have a reservation on Dec 2019 and I do another one for Apr 2020, will I be sure that points for December booking will be taken first ?
Old May 21, 2019, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Do you have proof that this is now a policy? Is this via the app or via the website (MAR IT sucks, but on certain things website better than app).

Did you try calling MAR CS & getting them to do points advance? Did they turn you down & tell you the 30 day clause? You do need to have them 1-2 weeks in advance btw.

Anyway, more information is needed than a(nother) blanket statement on something stating it as the truth. Not saying it is or isn't, but more than one data point is needed.

Please check w/ MAR on Monday.

Cheers.
the DOC himself also confirms that the Points Advance option will not be available when booking if the intended stay's check-in date is within 30 days:

Originally Posted by https://www.doctorofcredit.com/marriott-makes-changes-to-points-advance-policy-no-longer-possible-if-you-have-enough-points/
In addition Points Advance will only show as an option if your booking is more than 30 days out.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another episode of never ending saga regarding Point Advance reservations. I was refused redemption for PA reservation at Cat 7 rate. Phone agent claimed that i need to redeem at current Cat 8 level while my Ambassador said she needs to send it to research to determine how many points I need.

EDIT: Third time's a charm. Called general Ambassador line again and agent processed it within minutes. I suppose we just need to keep calling until we find someone who is knowledge and helpful.

Last edited by TerryK; Jun 2, 2019 at 11:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.