Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Point Advance Reservations [*to be discontinued 28 March 2023*]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Effective 14 Sept 2019 from VFTW:

Points advance locks in the room not the rate.

Effective September 14 pricing that will apply to points advance bookings will be the current price at the time the member actually redeems points to cover the reservation. This will no longer be a way to lock in current pricing on the if-come. And with high season dates, which can change each month, the price of the room may vary up until the time of redemption.

Marriott tells me that for reservations made prior to September 14 they will honor up to 5 points advance bookings at the standard rate even if those reservations fall on a peak date.

From Marriott email:
Starting September 14, You will be permitted a maximum of three Points Advance reservations at any time
Before September 14, please take the following steps to reduce your Points Advance reservations to adhere to the upcoming policy.
Cancel any remaining Points Advance reservations or convert them to a paid rate.
If you’re unable to complete this before September 14, we’ll contact you at the phone number listed in your account to help you resolve any excess reservations.
For Points Advance reservation(s) made before September 14 only: When you redeem, if any night has a Peak rate, call us and we’ll adjust the night to its Standard rate. If you need to change your reservation, you’ll receive the available redemption rate when you rebook
From Marriott Lurker: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31525589-post1.html
As a reminder, any reservations booked with points made prior to today will remain at the reserved Standard redemption rate. However, if you need to change that reservation, you may see a new redemption rate when you rebook. If the hotel you booked moves into Off-Peak, you can rebook at the new, lower redemption rate and then cancel the original reservation (standard cancellation time periods apply).

Maximum of 3 Points Advance bookings at a time
Marriott will be updating their terms to limit members to three points advance bookings at a time. Expect to hear from Marriott if you make a bunch of points advance reservations.
Print Wikipost

Point Advance Reservations [*to be discontinued 28 March 2023*]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Marriott has been a busy little beaver overnight and applied my certs/points to 11 points advance reservations! (Before you get your panties in a knot that I have so many, note that I always book my reward stays with each night separate to maintain flexibility. So a 3 night stay would be 3 reservations.)

I do the same. Always booked one night at a time whether it is an award stay or a pay stay. At check in the FD always is able to see consecutive reservations and either combine them or tell me to re-do the card keys next day (Protea Kruger Gate, wanted to do it when we returned in the evening. Ren Imperial Riding School at Vienna, wanted to do it in the morning whenever was convenient to me. Both hotels wanted the reservations stayed as individual ones and just reprogram the card keys).
There is never any need to contact hotel ahead of stay - they always kept us in the same room with only one exception - Autograph at Budapest gave a huge upgrade on the first night but could not extend it to the second night. So we had to move.
margarita girl and rny321 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:29 pm
kkl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
So once you did this, the deducted points immediately went back to your account?
Yup

Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
So what is the advantage of using it?
When you're short on points for one award, and you're sure you'll have the points in time to pay for it. It's not for people to make dozens of speculative bookings that block up space more deserving people should be able to get. I have zero empathy for people who are being affected by this. If you have the points, you should have to use them all before being able to "borrow" ahead.

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
You like the IT Glitches?
Who says it's a glitch? Maybe Marriott is finally trying to stop the abuses? It would be far better to completely remove PA than to keep it in its current form.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kkl

i did it myself

go to the booking and click update booking, from there you can select points advance
Thanks for that tip. Worked perfectly. I’m getting a headache from trying to keep a spreadsheet of points activity in my account just from the stuff that posts incorrectly (activity doesn’t match the change in my balance). Knowing that Marriott can go in and help themselves to my points just because they feel like it isn’t helping!

I also feel that I need to document absolutely everything. Since I’m not getting auto confirmations on points advance reservations, I’m now emailing them to myself and putting property name, res # and date, and pts required in the subject line. I feel I can’t trust Marriott and their shoddy IT. I don’t think I’ve ever distrusted a company as much as Marriott, sad to say.
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:10 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
When you're short on points for one award, and you're sure you'll have the points in time to pay for it. It's not for people to make dozens of speculative bookings that block up space more deserving people should be able to get. I have zero empathy for people who are being affected by this. If you have the points, you should have to use them all before being able to "borrow" ahead.

Who says it's a glitch? Maybe Marriott is finally trying to stop the abuses? It would be far better to completely remove PA than to keep it in its current form.
For the record, I am NOT advocating that someone do what I am about to describe. You could basically accomplish the exact same thing by booking refundable cash rates for the room you want to book with points. As long as the hotel isn't seriously overbooked for that room type, the room will go back to inventory and open an award again. If it's a property that only makes a subset of base rooms available with points you could probably just book three rooms. So points advance doesn't really open up a new method of gaming the system. Of course, this would not protect from a category change in the meantime which is a different matter.
MasterGeek likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Actually, I like this feature.
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
??? You like the IT Glitches? Not sure I follow. If you mean you like points advance feature, I do to. It makes it easier to do planning for award stays.

--Jon

There are two separate questions/issues here:

1) Is the current policy for points advance reservations a good one or should it be updated or eliminated? There are varying points of view on that question all of which are valid. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on what they would like the policy to be.

2) The second question/issue is implementation of the current policy. With the current policy if you haven't already ordered a certificate seven days in advance of the start of the reservation, the system is supposed to automatically order one for you. I am intentionally not addressing the boundary case of where someone still doesn't have enough points for the reservation at that time. In my case and I infer many of the other posters cases, the system just ordered the certificates for those awards regardless of how far in advance of the reservation it was. That is a glitch because it doesn't comply with the current seven day in advance policy as published by Marriott.

What is abuse and what is flexibility is a gray area. For me, I tend to plan a few key stays through the year (winter vacation, holiday visits to the family a couple of times a year, and summer vacation) from a few months to a year in advance. While I know the general range of days I need the specifics can vary a bit and I may not have my logistics locked down until a month or so in advance. So when needed I book a few (2 or 3) reservations well in advance and then about 1 month or more in advance of my stay, I will cancel the one(s) I don't need. I don't consider that abusive.

On the other hand if someone literally books dozens (or even a dozen) points advance reservations speculatively and holds on to them until the last day available for cancellation, I would consider that abusive. Where should the line be drawn between mu current practice and the dozens of advance reservations to not be abusive is difficult to define. While it doesn't always happen, I think it is best when people just act reasonably and respect other people. I.e. your actions should reflect how you would like to be treated. I find that to be a far better practice than trying to precisely define reasonable behavior with all the potential boundary cases in a set of rules. Each to their own...

--Jon
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by rooivalk
So 1m+ points just disappeared to my account. Anyone else has this happen to them? There's nothing into my account activity to say why/how it disappeared..
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I always liked the SPG way of deducting points as soon as you made an award reservation. I've never understood the MR thing about attaching certificates to the reservation.
I guess it wouldn't make a difference if people like rooivalk exist then. Who obviously has enough points to make speculative bookings anyway.
The difference if you cannot use points advance is that points poor people cannot make speculative bookings while points rich people can. A class divide, if you want to call it that.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:15 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Thanks for that tip. Worked perfectly. I’m getting a headache from trying to keep a spreadsheet of points activity in my account just from the stuff that posts incorrectly (activity doesn’t match the change in my balance). Knowing that Marriott can go in and help themselves to my points just because they feel like it isn’t helping!

I also feel that I need to document absolutely everything. Since I’m not getting auto confirmations on points advance reservations, I’m now emailing them to myself and putting property name, res # and date, and pts required in the subject line. I feel I can’t trust Marriott and their shoddy IT. I don’t think I’ve ever distrusted a company as much as Marriott, sad to say.

With the exception of having to email myself confirmations, which I now need to do, I have been using a spreadsheet for personal travel for many years. In addition to creating a travel itinerary with details like costs and record locators, I include alternate flights in case of disruptions. Unfortunately, what began as a tool of convenience has become an instrument of necessity. I am not defending Marriott for clear failures, but the number of times I have needed to fix problems has increased elsewhere.

Last edited by rny321; Jan 5, 2019 at 8:21 am
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
With the exception of having to email myself confirmations, which I now need to do, I have been using a spreadsheet for personal travel for many years. In addition to creating a travel itinerary with details like costs and record locators, I include alternate flights in case of disruptions. Unfortunately, what began as a tool of convenience has become an instrument of necessity. I am not defending Marriott for clear failures, but the number of times I have needed to fix problems has increased elsewhere.
I do exactly the same - it has been a habit for several years because each of our trips tend to be long and complicated, 30 to 45 days long, often multi-Continents, multi-award tickets and pay tickets, train / long distance buses / ferries... can all be in the mix on some trips. I need a way to organize it and be able to tell where we would be on which date/day of the itinerary.
A spreadsheet goes by date/day of the trip and the "event" of the date, such as flight and rental car pick up, together with hotel reservation details. Yes, I too have alternatives listed as well.
On top of that I make a word doc just for hotel reservation details AND the logistics on how to get to the hotel.
The 3rd doc is for lounge access information for the trip, which lounges are available, the locations at the airports, how to get to them...
rny321 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
It's funny, when you are ignorant, things aren't alarming. I just got to the 240K I needed for a February trip a week or so ago, so when the points all went out and the certificate issued, I figured that was normal. But instead I learn it's a sweep to fund certificates months out! Thanks for all the info!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Limit to how many awards can be held w/o certs?

Looks like the Ritz HMB pushed through a reso I had specified as "points advance" ( I had enough points, though I intended to use them elsewhere)... is not applying points even when you have them against the rules? what happened here?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Marriott lets you make as many reservations as you want, regardless of how many points you have. However, some people are seeing sweeps where Marriott does take the points for a PA reservation if you have them (without notice).
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Marriott lets you make as many reservations as you want, regardless of how many points you have. However, some people are seeing sweeps where Marriott does take the points for a PA reservation if you have them (without notice).
Thanks. Looks like that's what hit me.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kkl
Just had 6 point advance redemptions automatically deduct the required points.

This affected Autograph and St Regis and Courtyard hotels. 40-60 days out
I have two pre August 18 SPG point reservations that had already had the points pulled that Marriott pulled the points again. I am having my Ambassador look into it and get my points back.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:25 pm

I had a conversation with a colleague on this whole points advance thingy and we looked up what points advance is actually.

The terms say that points advance is if you have insufficient points to redeem not “I have sufficient points to redeem but don’t touch my points because I want to keep it there until I make up my mind”

(although one can theoretically temporarily use up all the points on a reservation a year out so the balance is insufficient)

So if there are no points to pull, then it should be PA until such time you do or up to 14 days before arrival.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.