Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Point Advance Reservations [*to be discontinued 28 March 2023*]

Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Effective 14 Sept 2019 from VFTW:

Points advance locks in the room not the rate.

Effective September 14 pricing that will apply to points advance bookings will be the current price at the time the member actually redeems points to cover the reservation. This will no longer be a way to lock in current pricing on the if-come. And with high season dates, which can change each month, the price of the room may vary up until the time of redemption.

Marriott tells me that for reservations made prior to September 14 they will honor up to 5 points advance bookings at the standard rate even if those reservations fall on a peak date.

From Marriott email:
Starting September 14, You will be permitted a maximum of three Points Advance reservations at any time
Before September 14, please take the following steps to reduce your Points Advance reservations to adhere to the upcoming policy.
Cancel any remaining Points Advance reservations or convert them to a paid rate.
If you’re unable to complete this before September 14, we’ll contact you at the phone number listed in your account to help you resolve any excess reservations.
For Points Advance reservation(s) made before September 14 only: When you redeem, if any night has a Peak rate, call us and we’ll adjust the night to its Standard rate. If you need to change your reservation, you’ll receive the available redemption rate when you rebook
From Marriott Lurker: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31525589-post1.html
As a reminder, any reservations booked with points made prior to today will remain at the reserved Standard redemption rate. However, if you need to change that reservation, you may see a new redemption rate when you rebook. If the hotel you booked moves into Off-Peak, you can rebook at the new, lower redemption rate and then cancel the original reservation (standard cancellation time periods apply).

Maximum of 3 Points Advance bookings at a time
Marriott will be updating their terms to limit members to three points advance bookings at a time. Expect to hear from Marriott if you make a bunch of points advance reservations.
Print Wikipost

Point Advance Reservations [*to be discontinued 28 March 2023*]

Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Points Advance is a nice feature, but some people really abuse it. I think it would be nice if (a) it was only available if you didn't have the points, and (b) you could only have one PA booking at a time. Those changes would make it behave like originally intended and eliminate the bulk of abusive bookings.
Happy, EuropeanPete, JBord and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
guess who just got a barrage of confirmation emails showing the points taken out of my account?
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:07 am

Nearly 400k worth of points were wiped out of our account last night with no activity log. I called to inquire and they opened a fraud case because no agents (talked to two) could see why the points were gone.

Tonight in the activity section it showed that Marriott deducted 120k for a 2-night stay AND 250k for points upgrade for a reservation that I booked in September at an all-suite hotel. I had the points at the time of booking and was aware of the extra points upgrade, but it was not for extra 125k worth of points per night. I don’t know why the points weren’t deducted then and now the rates have seen to gone up and Marriott is making me pay for it.

Another Marriot fail that is going to cost me hours on the phone to resolve, if at all.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:12 am

Same happend to me; Points advance booking used the points.
Mine was for a Luxury Collection Hotel in Greece.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:47 am
kkl
Original Poster

Got about 1.5mi wiped out. Had to manually do it again. 2x in 24 hours
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I had 150K gone and confirmation emails this morning from points advance reservations. Very annoying but ultimately just a nuisance in my case. I fully sympathize with those folks where it is more than just a nuisance with their upcoming planned award stays. I am getting tired of all of the IT glitches. Not a nice way to start the new year. My two cents....

--Jon
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
I guess it pays NOT to have enough points in one account to cover the points advance stay (long story - some points are tied up in reservations that would be cancelled and therefore not enough points to cover a distant future point advance stay). Nothing had been deducted from my account and the point advance stay still shows points advance.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Marriott has been a busy little beaver overnight and applied my certs/points to 11 points advance reservations! (Before you get your panties in a knot that I have so many, note that I always book my reward stays with each night separate to maintain flexibility. So a 3 night stay would be 3 reservations.)

I thought I read somewhere that you can undo this and change it back to points advance, but obviously not in this thread. Can I do this myself or do I have to call in?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:49 am
kkl
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Marriott has been a busy little beaver overnight and applied my certs/points to 11 points advance reservations! (Before you get your panties in a knot that I have so many, note that I always book my reward stays with each night separate to maintain flexibility. So a 3 night stay would be 3 reservations.)

I thought I read somewhere that you can undo this and change it back to points advance, but obviously not in this thread. Can I do this myself or do I have to call in?
i did it myself

go to the booking and click update booking, from there you can select points advance
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
One of mine got redeemed overnight. I had been trying to order the certificate several times the last couple of days and kept getting an error message. I assumed that is why it got redeemed, but now I am not so sure.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rooivalk
So 1m+ points just disappeared to my account. Anyone else has this happen to them? There's nothing into my account activity to say why/how it disappeared..
OP, have you confirmed that it is a Points Advance issue, or did your points just disappear like this guy?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-all-gone.html
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
I am getting tired of all of the IT glitches.
Actually, I like this feature.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Points Advance is a nice feature, but some people really abuse it. I think it would be nice if (a) it was only available if you didn't have the points, and (b) you could only have one PA booking at a time. Those changes would make it behave like originally intended and eliminate the bulk of abusive bookings.
So what is the advantage of using it?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Actually, I like this feature.
??? You like the IT Glitches? Not sure I follow. If you mean you like points advance feature, I do to. It makes it easier to do planning for award stays.

--Jon
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkl
i did it myself

go to the booking and click update booking, from there you can select points advance
So once you did this, the deducted points immediately went back to your account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.