Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Point Advance Reservations [*to be discontinued 28 March 2023*]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
Effective 14 Sept 2019 from VFTW:

Points advance locks in the room not the rate.

Effective September 14 pricing that will apply to points advance bookings will be the current price at the time the member actually redeems points to cover the reservation. This will no longer be a way to lock in current pricing on the if-come. And with high season dates, which can change each month, the price of the room may vary up until the time of redemption.

Marriott tells me that for reservations made prior to September 14 they will honor up to 5 points advance bookings at the standard rate even if those reservations fall on a peak date.

From Marriott email:
Starting September 14, You will be permitted a maximum of three Points Advance reservations at any time
Before September 14, please take the following steps to reduce your Points Advance reservations to adhere to the upcoming policy.
Cancel any remaining Points Advance reservations or convert them to a paid rate.
If you’re unable to complete this before September 14, we’ll contact you at the phone number listed in your account to help you resolve any excess reservations.
For Points Advance reservation(s) made before September 14 only: When you redeem, if any night has a Peak rate, call us and we’ll adjust the night to its Standard rate. If you need to change your reservation, you’ll receive the available redemption rate when you rebook
From Marriott Lurker: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31525589-post1.html
As a reminder, any reservations booked with points made prior to today will remain at the reserved Standard redemption rate. However, if you need to change that reservation, you may see a new redemption rate when you rebook. If the hotel you booked moves into Off-Peak, you can rebook at the new, lower redemption rate and then cancel the original reservation (standard cancellation time periods apply).

Maximum of 3 Points Advance bookings at a time
Marriott will be updating their terms to limit members to three points advance bookings at a time. Expect to hear from Marriott if you make a bunch of points advance reservations.
Print Wikipost

Point Advance Reservations [*to be discontinued 28 March 2023*]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Wait, so why is this feature even available? PA should just be retired if it's meaningless anyways. What happens for the case where there aren't even any award rooms left?
Going forward a PA only reserves your room, not your rate. The rate you pay in points will be determined at settlement. There is still utility in guaranteeing a room for a future stay you don't have sufficient points for so it isn't meaningless. If you bank on paying the Peak rate for each night of your stay at settlement, it can only get cheaper....

James
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by TerryK
PA is still a good feature where it allows you to lock in award inventory before you have sufficient points to book.
Yeah but the number of points required may have gone up by 50%, if you're seeing off-peak rates you are probably better off locking them in anyway way you can.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah but the number of points required may have gone up by 50%, if you're seeing off-peak rates you are probably better off locking them in anyway way you can.
Sure if you have requisite points available. If not, I rather have the ability to lock in award inventory and try to come up with points later.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:22 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

No, the real rate can't be up by 50%. It has to stay within its own peak off-peak band. For Category 6, the band is 40,000 to 60,000. Marriott can't charge you 70,000 points or 35,000 for your wildest dream.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
No, the real rate can't be up by 50%. It has to stay within its own peak off-peak band. For Category 6, the band is 40,000 to 60,000. Marriott can't charge you 70,000 points or 35,000 for your wildest dream.
A 160k 5 night cat 6 reservation off peak reservation would change to 240k at peak, that’s a 50% increase.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:29 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

A 160k 5 night cat 6 reservation off peak reservation would change to 240k at peak, that’s a 50% increase.
Any change has to come off the base rate. You can't use the entire band.

The largest change is the Category 1, with both peak and off-peak change by 33%. In your logic, Marriott would increase/decrease price by 67%.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:43 am

Any change has to come off the base rate. You can't use the entire band.

The largest change is the Category 1, with both peak and off-peak change by 33%. In your logic, Marriott would increase/decrease price by 67%.
I’m talking about the potential change in out-of-pocket points. In cat 1 it’s 100% but I’ve never stayed at a cat 1. It’s entirely possible that you book an off peak PA award then some event or wedding gets booked and then only peak pricing is available?
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
From 40K to 60K in the Category 6 band, the increase from off-peak to peak is a 50%. In Category 1, off-peak to peak is a 100% increase (5K, 7.5K, 10K)

James
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:05 pm

I have a PA reservation for a hotel at Taiwan at 25k points. I only have 20k points in my account now. Of course for the same night it's 30k peak rate.

Can I call in, purchase the missing 5k points and finalize at the currently reserved rate?

thanks
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by khkchan
I have a PA reservation for a hotel at Taiwan at 25k points. I only have 20k points in my account now. Of course for the same night it's 30k peak rate.

Can I call in, purchase the missing 5k points and finalize at the currently reserved rate?

thanks
If you made reservation before 9/14, you should be able to. But purchase points online then call in, there is sale at the moment of $8.75 or something for 1000 points.
khkchan likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
ask the rep / supervisor to look up document KM 6115 - if that document still in effect
In my case, I just called in and the rep said I couldn't get the original rate, and he transferred to a supervisor that said the same thing. I asked the supervisor about KM 6115, and they said they couldn't find any document with that number, so that must be gone now.

He said he did find a KM 10759 that explains that for reservations made after September 14, Points Advance doesn't reserve the rate, just the room. When I pointed out that my reservation was made before September 14, it finally seemed to click in his head, and he went looking for further instruction. He eventually found KM 14275 which explains that the rates when booked are supposed to be honored for pre-9/14 reservations and explains how to do that.
Happy likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 11:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Marriott tells me that for reservations made prior to September 14 they will honor up to 5 points advance bookings at the standard rate even if those reservations fall on a peak date.
Why is this policy not written anywhere on Marriott's public/official websites ?

Why aren't agents properly trained about ut ???

Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:24 pm

Programs: Marriott
Update on new point advance

I just emptied all my points to cover my future points advance reservation in April 2020 before September 14th. Now I am trying to do a one night reservation using point for one night and I can't! It seems that you can't do a point advance reservation under one month prior to your arrival.

This is definitely not a good way to treat your loyal customers. I am sure they will have quite few complaints about their new rules; at least I gave them my 2 cent.

The reason they gave is that peoples use to cancel due to lack of point.; I don’t see what is the difference when you can cancel a future pay reservation! Why would points have less values than our dollar?

I used to love the Marriot program!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
So three phone calls later, I now have 50k extra points deposited into my account to make up for the difference in the points rate for my reservation. They're labeled as "Pre Exisiting Res Adj For Peak" in my account activity. And yet neither the phone agents nor me are able to actually redeem those points for a certificate to attach to the reservation.

When I go into the reservation I see this:

Great! You’ve earned all the points you need.

Deduct your points now for your stay, or we’ll automatically take care of this for you 15 days prior to your arrival.

And then when I click in to deduct the points, I see this:

You are not eligible to purchase points for this reservation. View other rates to modify your stay or cancel your changes.

Any advice?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:04 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
another Bonvoy Mess

It appears to me there is another major Bonvoy mess underway....I have several reservations, many redemptions, for an upcoming road trip in Spain. The points were always deducted at time of reservation (prior Sep 14) since I always had sufficient points in my account.
Now I can see in my account that points for several of these reservations have been deducted AGAIN, at the HIGHER rates (of course all dates are peak dates which is a complete joke in itself as it is off season).
the best part: the initial deductions have now VANISHED from my account, so the only proof I have is the confirmation emails.
I have requested a complete audit of my account. To make a mess of the program is one thing, to steal my points is another.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.