Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Beijing Hotels and Great Firewall of China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador

Anyone have any recent experience with any of the upscale Marriott hotels (W, Ritz, St. R, JW, etc. in Beijing) offering internet that can access facebook, YouTube, etc? I know China has been cracking down of late but I know some hotels still build VPNs into WiFi.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Str tianjin block access to those
kempinski xiamen (not marriott) also block access
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
A few months ago months hotels that had VPN were ordered not to offer. Not sure if hotels re-rolled out service. Suggest witopia or strongvpn
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
I was recently in Shanghai and Beijing and all the hotels WiFi blocked these websites. VPN still works though and non Chinese SIMS do not have these restrictions. So sometimes it was easier to just roam on my phone.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:16 am

Just use a VPN, it's a piece of cake to setup and then rout through HK.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:20 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SP03
I was recently in Shanghai and Beijing and all the hotels WiFi blocked these websites. VPN still works though and non Chinese SIMS do not have these restrictions. So sometimes it was easier to just roam on my phone.
The Hongta Hotel in Shanghai allowed access to gmail and Facebook - I figured they were using a corporate SPG connection that tunneled through the firewall. That was back in early 2018, though.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Anyone have any recent experience with any of the upscale Marriott hotels (W, Ritz, St. R, JW, etc. in Beijing) offering internet that can access facebook, YouTube, etc? I know China has been cracking down of late but I know some hotels still build VPNs into WiFi.
If you're planning on staying at the St. R, I would advise caution as Beijing likes to spy on people and I'm certain that happened to me on my last stay. They also do not have VPN built into their WiFi but I was able to VPN out albeit at excruciating speeds.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: AAEXP, BonvoyLTT, UAS, SW A-list
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Make sure you load VPN's on your phone, tablet, etc. BEFORE you get to China. It is virtually impossible to download them once you are there as they are all blocked on the app stores
PointWeasel likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I don't much like posting when it's a "me too" type of post but essentially what you've heard here was accurate as of 30 days ago. I was in Beijing 2x this year and it was the same. Mikeinchina's advice about getting a VPN setup *before* you go is solid as I tried on my first trip and did not have a lot of luck. I've used the FB link to login to some sites (including expertflyer) which obviously didn't work (thanks to the EF folks, they got me around it).

Steve
mikeinchina likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:27 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
I had set up a VPN last year before my trips, never used it. Roaming on my non-chinese SIM let me access everything without a VPN as mentioned earlier.

I am sure this could change but then they would probably block all VPNs anyway.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:43 pm

In my experience in the last two years, the fancier the hotel in Beijing or Shanghai, the more likely the firewall will be nearly impossible to get around without a VPN. I even had problems with my *VPN* working at the Park Hyatt in Beijing this past year (never encountered that situation before). VPN worked fine (but was definitely necessary) with WiFi at some JW Marriotts.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Not Beijing, but we were spoiled by seemingly limitless internet at the W Suzhou in October, which left us unprepared for life without Google at the St. Regis Shanghai last week. Will need to do a little VPN research before the next visit to China...
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: AAEXP, BonvoyLTT, UAS, SW A-list
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
Not Beijing, but we were spoiled by seemingly limitless internet at the W Suzhou in October, which left us unprepared for life without Google at the St. Regis Shanghai last week. Will need to do a little VPN research before the next visit to China...
I have used ExpressVPN for the past 4 or 5 years in China on my iPhone and Surface tablet without any difficulties
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by mikeinchina
I have used ExpressVPN for the past 4 or 5 years in China on my iPhone and Surface tablet without any difficulties
I also use ExpressVPN on both my laptop and my cell phone and in my experience it's the best option. Go for the paid subscription if you can (I bill to work). I also have TunnelBear as a back-up VPN (it seems sometimes VPNs manage to get themselves blocked too, somehow ?!? usually around big political events) on my phone for emergencies (free account). For ExpressVPN, I usually route through Hong Kong or Los Angeles servers (they seem to work best when I am in China).
mikeinchina likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Sheraton Guangzhou today and can't access some sites over hotel's WiFi. My Dashlane VPN won't function either. Fortunately, I have cellular data as a workaround.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.