Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And ... I'm hoping they don't!

That being said, I clicked through a stay recently at a legacy Marriott property where the only SNA choices were high floor king and deluxe king. I know they have a couple of great suites because they always upgraded me to one of them before 8/18.
That would certainly be a huge waste of a SNA. Sad.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
Looks like the message is still up when trying to make a reservation. How long does it take for a hotel to take a msg down? We already have confirmation from corporate that this was going to be taken down.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by joseror
Looks like the message is still up when trying to make a reservation. How long does it take for a hotel to take a msg down? We already have confirmation from corporate that this was going to be taken down.
Sounds like someone should follow-up.

Guest Experience Supervisor Escalation <[email protected]>
zzap likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:13 pm

Ritz-Carlton Residences Waikiki Beach. Oddly the only Ritz-Carlton Residence that does participate in the program, but if you attempt to book a hotel you see this:

Please note-Free upgrade to suite and guaranteed 4pm check-out for suites not available for Marriott Rewards members at this hotel.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
Ritz-Carlton Residences Waikiki Beach. Oddly the only Ritz-Carlton Residence that does participate in the program, but if you attempt to book a hotel you see this:

Please note-Free upgrade to suite and guaranteed 4pm check-out for suites not available for Marriott Rewards members at this hotel.
I don't know if this is allowed since the property now participates and the Marriott terms explicitly state that some elites are eligible for suite upgrades at Ritz-Carlton properties.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Zelucifer
They seem to believe they have an exception, but there's nothing in the T&Cs which expressly grant them one.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
So this isn't about this property but possibly belongs in this thread anyway.

Inquiring with a property if Club Suites are in the upgrade pool if I've already booked a club room. Response: "unfortunately we don't include suite upgrades at this resort, but if available at check-in we'll provide you the opportunity to upgrade to a suite with a cash discount"

... Uh say what now?

This is NOT a Vistana resort or MVC. I've asked to follow up.. but.. that doesn't sound completely right to me, am I off here?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Given the complexity of the Marriott programme, we really need to know at least the brand. But this has all the hallmarks of another non-compliant property.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Given the complexity of the Marriott programme, we really need to know at least the brand. But this has all the hallmarks of another non-compliant property.
JW, like the resort in question in this thread. Really seems like a leftover Marriott-rule resort that's just not changed to new rules. I don't want to shame the property just yet since I haven't even been/checked in so I don't know what's going to happen, but it just was a bit of a surprising response. I understand some properties will just claim nothing is available, but to outright say that it's available for cash strikes me as odd.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Smiley90
JW, like the resort in question in this thread. Really seems like a leftover Marriott-rule resort that's just not changed to new rules. I don't want to shame the property just yet since I haven't even been/checked in so I don't know what's going to happen, but it just was a bit of a surprising response. I understand some properties will just claim nothing is available, but to outright say that it's available for cash strikes me as odd.
You should politely ask for the front office manager or operations director. This is noncompliance.

The problem is by not shaming them the property may make an exception for you but not actually change the rules.

If you can get it in writing, it will be even more powerful.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Generally, JWs are pretty good about this.

Are you talking about the JW in Cabo and Griffin Club? You're describing their policy. They wouldn't upgrade me even when there were only two rooms occupied in the Griffin Club area. And don't feel like arguing when I'm on a trip with a gf.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Generally, JWs are pretty good about this.

Are you talking about the JW in Cabo and Griffin Club? You're describing their policy. They wouldn't upgrade me even when there were only two rooms occupied in the Griffin Club area. And don't feel like arguing when I'm on a trip with a gf.
Not the one in Cabo, but similar circumstance. I understand not upgrading to a suite & special club room when on a basic room (then just upgrade to suite without club access), but we've already got a club room booked.

EDIT: Since the exact same situation I'm referring to just was confirmed by someone else who checked in in the separate thread, I feel like I might as well name it now - it's the JW Cancun. Another poster just reported in that they had a club room booked and were denied a suite upgrade - but offered to buy up with cash.

Last edited by Smiley90; Apr 14, 2019 at 11:36 am
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are these places that have a special club floor/wing versus club rooms that mean regular rooms with club lounge access? If it's the former, it could be true that technically the club suites aren't in the upgrade pool because they're not select/standard suites or whatever the current T&C terminology says. However, to me, a normal club suite isn't a specialty suite either. Is there an option to upgrade to a nonclub suite with club access due to status?

It could be interesting if someone pays the upcharge and then disputes it, just like being asked to pay for a guaranteed late checkout.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are these places that have a special club floor/wing versus club rooms that mean regular rooms with club lounge access? If it's the former, it could be true that technically the club suites aren't in the upgrade pool because they're not select/standard suites or whatever the current T&C terminology says. However, to me, a normal club suite isn't a specialty suite either. Is there an option to upgrade to a nonclub suite with club access due to status?

It could be interesting if someone pays the upcharge and then disputes it, just like being asked to pay for a guaranteed late checkout.
The JW Cancun has both suites that come with special club access and without special club access.

Both of which would be irrelevant for the other poster and me, as we've both booked rooms that already come with special club access.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
The JW Cancun has both suites that come with special club access and without special club access.

Both of which would be irrelevant for the other poster and me, as we've both booked rooms that already come with special club access.
So the property just sells rooms/suites with club access and doesn't have some special designated club wing or floor? Or if you buy club access, are you necessarily given some room located on the floor or wing close to the lounge?

I'm not asking whether club rooms/suites otherwise are different from nonclub rooms/suites, just if they're necessarily located in some designated area? Of course, if the club suite is distinctly better than the nonclub suite, that would further suggest that perhaps it's (properly?) not in the upgrade pool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.