Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by N1Flyer
Did you even read the posts? Do you realize that the breakfast in the restaurant, the same as all resorts, is a buffet?
It was specifically described as a more limited buffet than the restaurant. There are too many properties out there that are gracious about providing the mandated benefits for me to accept this kind of mean spirited penny-pinching as okay.
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It was specifically described as a more limited buffet than the restaurant. There are too many properties out there that are gracious about providing the mandated benefits for me to accept this kind of mean spirited penny-pinching as okay.
Yes, the Plat buffet had less then the restaurant (I assume), but it had way more selection (and better quality) then a typical lounge would have. It seems some here are some here hung up on words (breakfast in the restaurant) then actually being concerned with having a substantial quality breakfast.

What the heck difference does it make- a great breakfast was provided. If the exact same buffet was in the restaurant, would that make you happy?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Yes, the Plat buffet had less then the restaurant (I assume), but it had way more selection (and better quality) then a typical lounge would have. It seems some here are some here hung up on words (breakfast in the restaurant) then actually being concerned with having a substantial quality breakfast.

What the heck difference does it make- a great breakfast was provided. If the exact same buffet was in the restaurant, would that make you happy?
It doesn't matter if the selection was better than a lounge breakfast. It still likely wasn't as good or full-service as the restaurant. Maybe I'm just jaded by all these properties gaming the rules.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It doesn't matter if the selection was better than a lounge breakfast. It still likely wasn't as good or full-service as the restaurant. Maybe I'm just jaded by all these properties gaming the rules.
i don’t think you are jaded at all by expecting properties to live up to the terms and conditions. We , as guests , have to live by the terms and conditions- such as 30 day or 72 hour cancellation policy . If we don’t comply , we get charged . I have no problem with complying with terms and conditions but loyalty is supposedly a 2 way street and the properties should be held just as accountable as the guests are .
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
i don’t think you are jaded at all by expecting properties to live up to the terms and conditions. We , as guests , have to live by the terms and conditions- such as 30 day or 72 hour cancellation policy . If we don’t comply , we get charged . I have no problem with complying with terms and conditions but loyalty is supposedly a 2 way street and the properties should be held just as accountable as the guests are .
Exactly.

That, and it reveals a deeper attitude toward treatment of guests. If they skimp on the breakfast benefit, and don't care about generating loyalty, that attitude is likely to be reflected elsewhere as well.
C17PSGR and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Exactly.

That, and it reveals a deeper attitude toward treatment of guests. If they skimp on the breakfast benefit, and don't care about generating loyalty, that attitude is likely to be reflected elsewhere as well.
Like the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House in London refusing to provide the services and privileges that come with a suite to a guest staying in a suite via a suite night award certificate. Mind you, we're talking about the complimentary pressing of one garment, a daily newspaper delivery, and a complimentary mini-bar. There's a fine line here. What next? Sorry, no housekeeping for you since it's a "free" stay?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
What was the breakfast benefit?

Boy, some of the complainers really need to get a life. The Plat breakfast was more then adequate with delicious food and great service in a beautiful setting overlooking the pool. If you’re that much of a snob to complain about a breakfast of which you really had no idea, you really need to get a life.

The breakfast was far superior then served in 99% of lounges.
I agree, was there during Xmas and got the best suite #424 (Top north west corner) on Suite Night Awards. First day my wife and kid went to the big buffet (downstairs) by mistake and was not charged. The upstairs mini-buffet was quite decent with excellent service.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bamin
I agree, was there during Xmas and got the best suite #424 (Top north west corner) on Suite Night Awards. First day my wife and kid went to the big buffet (downstairs) by mistake and was not charged. The upstairs mini-buffet was quite decent with excellent service.
You "got the best suite" not because of the property, but because suite night award certificates are processed by Marriott independently of the property. If the property had its way, at least when you stayed, you wouldn't have gotten upgrade at all.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:30 pm

You "got the best suite" not because of the property, but because suite night award certificates are processed by Marriott independently of the property. If the property had its way, at least when you stayed, you wouldn't have gotten upgrade at all.
Again, you have no idea what you’re talking about. We were UPGRADED to the same type of suite without the use of an SNA. You have no clue about what people have actually experienced here and just portrays your ignorance.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter

Again, you have no idea what you’re talking about. We were UPGRADED to the same type of suite without the use of an SNA. You have no clue about what people have actually experienced here and just portrays your ignorance.
@hockeyinsider wasn't responding to you. The response was to a post that explicitly stated the upgrade was a result of a SNA request.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I doubt that the hotel's best suite is included in the SNA pool, and especially not in the Plat upgrade pool.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by CLEguy
@hockeyinsider wasn't responding to you. The response was to a post that explicitly stated the upgrade was a result of a SNA request.
No, way he said was “If the property had its way, at least when you stayed, you wouldn't have gotten upgrade at all.”

We didn’t use an SNA - we were upgraded because of my status BY THE PROPERTY.

And the pool of suites for which SNAs can be used are decided by the property itself, not by Marriott.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:34 pm
Suspended

No, way he said was “If the property had its way, at least when you stayed, you wouldn't have gotten upgrade at all.”

We didn’t use an SNA - we were upgraded because of my status BY THE PROPERTY.

And the pool of suites for which SNAs can be used are decided by the property itself, not by Marriott.
Read my post before calling me ignorant. The person I replied to said they got the "best suite" because of a suite night award certificate redemption. So yeah.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I doubt that the hotel's best suite is included in the SNA pool, and especially not in the Plat upgrade pool.
Well, we don't know what this property has in the pool but the selection does vary. I was surprised the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House in London has every category of suites, except for the royal suite, in the pool.

I'm sure there are some properties, especially those from legacy Marriott not used to suite night awards, who don't realize they can limit the suites that are eligible.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Well, we don't know what this property has in the pool but the selection does vary. I was surprised the J.W. Marriott Grosvenor House in London has every category of suites, except for the royal suite, in the pool.

I'm sure there are some properties, especially those from legacy Marriott not used to suite night awards, who don't realize they can limit the suites that are eligible.
And ... I'm hoping they don't!

That being said, I clicked through a stay recently at a legacy Marriott property where the only SNA choices were high floor king and deluxe king. I know they have a couple of great suites because they always upgraded me to one of them before 8/18.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.