Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by wordsmith
After many years as SPG Gold, with lots of excellent unexpected upgrades, I recently became Platinum and in about 10 or so stays, have been upgraded every time but have only been upgraded to a suite once. Is this typical? As a Platinum, are you supposed to book the lowest category room with an expectation of being upgraded to a suite? If there are suites available online at check in and they don't upgrade you, is that a violation or do they reserve a pool for upgrades and another for sale? Are you supposed to ask for a suite at check in? Sorry for the 101 questions.
Suite upgrade depends on many things.
For start, FTers claim that North American property is less likely to give you suite upgrade, while asian properties more often give you one.

From my experience.
14 stays .....
NA properties : 5 stays ... 1 no upgrade, 2 suite upgrades due to SNA, 1 suite upgrade without SNA, and 1 upgrade to non suite room.
Asian properties : 9 stays .... 2 no upgrades, 3 suite upgrades without SNA, 3 upgrades to non suite, 1 upgrade to specialty suite due to check in issue (not sure if this counted as upgrade due to platinum status)

The NA non upgrade is at W Hollywood while the Asian non upgrades were Al Maha Resort and The Ritz-Carlton Ras Al Khaimah Al Hamra Beach (these 2 hotels technically dont have to give me upgrade due to the hotel being all suite)

The problem is hard to prove that the hotel actually have suite available for upgrade.
Some suites are excluded ... such as specialty suite and presidential suite.
And sometimes the SPG/MR apps didnt show most up to date inventory.
my case of upgrade to specialty suite, the apps shows their standard suite and the room I book were available but somehow its actually not, hence generous upgrade to specialty suite.

I dont see any issue with asking if upgrade is available .
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Sallycat
Is this a case where the property will remove the language and comply in theory, but never provide suites in practice?
If the suite really important, I guess the best way is to book one.

And if a hotel are known to be the repeat offender in terms of upgrades, then stay away from it.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kaizen7
If the suite really important, I guess the best way is to book one.

And if a hotel are known to be the repeat offender in terms of upgrades, then stay away from it.
Fair point.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Link?
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...acaste-resort/
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
So, what's going to happen now at this property?

"Front desk: We have upgraded you to a third-floor executive room."

You: "Do you have a suite upgrade? I see several suites are open and available on Marriott.com for my stay."

Front desk: "Sorry, your Marriott.com search is incorrect. There are no suites available."

You: "But it says so."

Front desk: "Again, we apologize but there are no available suites for an upgrade."

OR

Front desk: "Our local policy doesn't include a suite upgrade."

You: "But Marriott says you have to."

Front desk: "Marriott allows hotels to adopt a local policy, which we've done."
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bhrubin
No. Time to move on, I think.
Yes, please do.
HHQX888 and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
So, what's going to happen now at this property?

"Front desk: We have upgraded you to a third-floor executive room."

You: "Do you have a suite upgrade? I see several suites are open and available on Marriott.com for my stay."

Front desk: "Sorry, your Marriott.com search is incorrect. There are no suites available."

You: "But it says so."

Front desk: "Again, we apologize but there are no available suites for an upgrade."
This is pretty much about exactly how it's gone with any property from any chain when I try to pull the "suites-for-sale-online" card. Just get the "ain't gonna happen" response. Happened recently at a Conrad, to pick on a non-Marriott example, where the front desk agent gave some line in a very confident manner about how, while there were suites for sale, there were no "upgrade rooms available" (apparently in her world's logic this was some magic subset of suites known only to her).

The decision to be made is just how much time you want to spend escalating it, and to who - the corollary to the "no suites available for upgrade" line is the "there is no manager on duty" slash "I AM the manager" line.

We have to pick our battles, sadly...
Mister Nice likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:07 pm

OMG! ... I thought this was a clear and unequivocal case of Marriott not bothering to enforce its own T&Cs and not caring a bit about its members, and an example of how Good Ol’SPG was so great with program standards and always stood behind its membership against rogue hotels whereas Marriott is out to get its members and scamming them into submission before evil and nefarious properties.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

OMG! ... I thought this was a clear and unequivocal case of Marriott not bothering to enforce its own T&Cs and not caring a bit about its members, and an example of how Good Ol’SPG was so great with program standards and always stood behind its membership against rogue hotels whereas Marriott is out to get its members and scamming them into submission before evil and nefarious properties.
It still might be. Who knows if they were reprimanded, or simply told to remove the message.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zelucifer
It still might be. Who knows if they were reprimanded, or simply told to remove the message.
Just because they've been caught doesn't mean they will change their ways. I'd be willing to contribute toward a crowd-funded trip for someone from Flyer Talk to visit and inspect the property to see if they've changed policies.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
Just because they've been caught doesn't mean they will change their ways. I'd be willing to contribute toward a crowd-funded trip for someone from Flyer Talk to visit and inspect the property to see if they've changed policies.
As the original poster and since I’m based in Costa Rica where the hotel is located I’d be happy to go inspect just need to wait until I complete a couple stays this year so I have enough points for a couple nights as it’s a long drive from home
MSPeconomist, zzap and rny321 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Without joserer's original post and follow-up, this hotel's policy might have continued. I am glad to hear that such behavior is not considered acceptable.

For me the idea that a single hotel didn't provide all of the benefits of status or a single MPG rep was mistaken isn't newsworthy. What struck me is the willingness of the hotel to state publicly that they will only provide one category upgrades and the MPG rep stating on Faxcebook that the hotel isn't violating policy.

Nobody would be surprised to hear that some politicians do favors for donors. It would be unusual if a politician's website listed suggested donations for different types of assistance and for the country's government to find such behavior acceptable.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Jan 2, 2019 at 3:26 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I don't think I would be in a hurry to stay at this property. It's obvious that the hotel management resents Platinum members and will surely be unhappy about having their knuckles rapped. Avoid at all costs!
hockeyinsider, rny321 and Sallycat like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:48 pm

So another side of this. Just completed a four night stay here as PP. Upgraded to beautiful corner two room suite and the Plat Breakfast was served in one of the restaurants with a wonderful view and included fruit, pastries, hot items and a made to order egg station.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I don't think I would be in a hurry to stay at this property. It's obvious that the hotel management resents Platinum members and will surely be unhappy about having their knuckles rapped. Avoid at all costs!
Like the individual who reported the behavior that resulted in knuckle rapping who is safe until the teacher leaves the room, Platinum guests will probably be fine until the monitors stop paying attention. Although I think there will be a period of good behavior, I doubt it will last very long.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by rny321; Jan 2, 2019 at 4:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.