Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Old Jan 1, 19, 10:57 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
So much unnecessary melodrama.

It’s one property. SPG also had plenty of properties that played havoc with the spirit and execution of the Plat suite upgrade—even if those were the exception and not the rule. Marriott does now, as well. Not much has changed despite the massive protests herein pretending otherwise.

Everyone pretending this is a sign of the apocalypse is more than welcome to go join the nearest cult. I’ll enjoy waving to you from my upgraded suite at the next property at which I stay, and the next after that, and the next after that. All while your prognostications of doom make for a good Lifetime movie.

Vote with your pocketbook and choose to stay elsewhere. Problem solved.

BHR- to me the concerning thing is the blatant flaunting of T&Cs on the website with no action from Marriott.

SPG was super quick to act when Properties were non compliant.

I remain cautiously optimistic about the new program and will return here on 1/1/20 to let you know what I think.

Happy New Years!
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by damon88 View Post

But SPG never played those games with me. I never heard “only one category up” or “we are exempt from Suite Upgrades.”
Lucky you. SPG and many of its properties often played games with me.

But I guess Old SPG as now ascended to a mythical netherland of fabled proportions where everything was beautiful, every staffmember was most helpful and everybody was happy.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:03 am
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
BHR- to me the concerning thing is the blatant flaunting of T&Cs on the website with no action from Marriott.

SPG was super quick to act when Properties were non compliant.

I remain cautiously optimistic about the new program and will return here on 1/1/20 to let you know what I think.

Happy New Years!
Happy 2019 to you and everyone else, too!

I have no issue with the concern about this particular property; my issue is with everyone translating that to a systemic problem. Scaling up is best left for engineers; everyone else scaling up typically results in unintended prejudice and very poor conclusions based on quite limited anecdotal evidence.

SPG was often but not always quick to respond with some properties not behaving properly with elite benefits. Marriott wasn’t as good...but then Marriott also had fewer elite benefits about which to complain and far more properties. Now Marriott has more elite benefits and even more properties.

Rome wasn’t built in a day, nor will Marriott’s IT or new loyalty program execution.

I almost never stay at newly opened properties. In the very rare instance when I do, I temper my expectations. I’ll be at the StR Bahia Beach in early Feb, not 2 months after it’s reopening post-Hurricane Maria. I have tempered expectations.

We have a newly expanded Marriott. The new loyalty program has IT issues that have taken much longer to solve than expected. Some properties are misbehaving. None of that surprises me; it’s been a mere 4+ months since the August 18 integration. My expectations are more realistic, I think.
damon88 likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 1, 19 at 12:47 pm
Old Jan 1, 19, 12:44 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier View Post

Lucky you. SPG and many of its properties often played games with me.

But I guess Old SPG as now ascended to a mythical netherland of fabled proportions where everything was beautiful, every staffmember was most helpful and everybody was happy.

Haha- I can go back over my messages to Lurker over the last 16 years and find a handful of issues- a W that made a big deal when I forgot my AAA card, a hotel or 2 that were reluctant to honor 4 pm checkout. But SPG was always very good to me- enough to inspire years of devout loyalty.
Old Jan 1, 19, 8:43 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum

It’s one property. SPG also had plenty of properties that played havoc with the spirit and execution of the Plat suite upgrade—even if those were the exception and not the rule. Marriott does now, as well. Not much has changed despite the massive protests herein pretending otherwise.

Everyone pretending this is a sign of the apocalypse is more than welcome to go join the nearest cult. I’ll enjoy waving to you from my upgraded suite at the next property at which I stay, and the next after that, and the next after that. All while your prognostications of doom make for a good Lifetime movie.

Oh please. Dealing with stays on 5 continents the past few months, my experiencea have shown a clear degradation of customer service at unacceptable levels at a global level (though I have not been to South America). There has also been a reduction of benefits - take it or leave it as Marriott is different from SPG but it is clear more propertoes as a ratio are gaming the system and CS does nothing.

I have voted with my wallet and have not paid for a stay since early October. I have booked almoat 30 nights on points and still have half a million points or so.

People's concerns are valid and doesn't mean we are cheapskates or poor (though I certainly don't waste money). The concerns posted here are valid, hitting all of us and far more relevant than aircon failures.

In 12 years of plat, I can basically count on my hands how many times I've had to complain at a high level. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the # of times I've had to deal w Marriott CS past few months.

​​​
UA-NYC, Keyser, HHQX888 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 1, 19, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR Plat Premier + Ambassador, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
SPG response

So...I asked for more details from SPG via Facebook and apparently suite upgrades are soon to be gone since properties are able to do whatever the hell they want and Marriott is sorry that we’re disappointed.

Hello, Jose! The hotel is not violating our Terms and Conditions. It states that they may include suites, \"subject to availability and identified by each Participating Property". The hotels are not required to provide suite rooms as upgrades. We are sorry that you are disappointed with this; however, it does not violate our T&C. If you have any further questions, please let us know!
Old Jan 1, 19, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by joseror View Post
So...I asked for more details from SPG via Facebook and apparently suite upgrades are soon to be gone since properties are able to do whatever the hell they want and Marriott is sorry that we’re disappointed.
These jokers need to get their story straight.
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by joseror View Post

Hello, Jose! The hotel is not violating our Terms and Conditions. It states that they may include suites, \"subject to availability and identified by each Participating Property". The hotels are not required to provide suite rooms as upgrades. We are sorry that you are disappointed with this; however, it does not violate our T&C. If you have any further questions, please let us know!
Very disappointing and perhaps , as some have speculated , a preview of new program and forthcoming changes . I admit , and am now proven wrong , that I had read the T and C to mean that the property could choose what suites were in the upgrade pool but not necessarily exclude basic suites .

However , what is still not addressed is the BEST AVAILABLE room language versus a One category upgrade . If the upgrades become one category , I think that will be the jumping off point for at least some of us . We can get one category upgrades , breakfast , late checkout , and an amenity via certain outlets such as FHR - yes we would forego the points but get the benefits and be free agents .
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb , LCAH : Gold, Skywards : Gold
We can only hope this will not set precedent for other properties to follow suit
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:04 am

Great update from Gary on his VFTW blog - Marriott corporate is cracking down on the offending property and the upgrade restriction will be removed. Additionally , social media team getting a refresher. Thanks to OP and Gary for their efforts !
damon88 and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 8:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum; Amtrak Select
After many years as SPG Gold, with lots of excellent unexpected upgrades, I recently became Platinum and in about 10 or so stays, have been upgraded every time but have only been upgraded to a suite once. Is this typical? As a Platinum, are you supposed to book the lowest category room with an expectation of being upgraded to a suite? If there are suites available online at check in and they don't upgrade you, is that a violation or do they reserve a pool for upgrades and another for sale? Are you supposed to ask for a suite at check in? Sorry for the 101 questions.
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:07 am
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Mister Nice View Post
Great update from Gary on his VFTW blog - Marriott corporate is cracking down on the offending property and the upgrade restriction will be removed. Additionally , social media team getting a refresher. Thanks to OP and Gary for their efforts !

It’s one property.

Turns out it is pie in the face for everyone who wanted to pretend that this one property and the social media response were signs of the apocalypse.

Like I said: such unnecessary melodrama.

EDIT: here is the link.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...416.1527256622

Last edited by bhrubin; Jan 2, 19 at 9:19 am
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mister Nice View Post
Link?
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
Is this a case where the property will remove the language and comply in theory, but never provide suites in practice?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 2, 19, 9:19 am
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Sallycat View Post
Is this a case where the property will remove the language and comply in theory, but never provide suites in practice?
No. Time to move on, I think.

Search this Thread