Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
1. Both are probably true.
2. You could have collected the breakfast guarantee ($100), but it needed to be done before check-out. When the lounge is closed, you're entitled to breakfast in the restaurant or 750 points. There are 14 hotels in the US that are exempt & offer 1,000 points, but the PHL MAR Airport is not on the list. The 1,000 points or $10F&B is the Platinum Arrival Gift options & has nothing to do w/ the breakfast situation, although it's amazing how many FDCs (and some managers) don't realize the 2 are different.

Cheers.
How does one collect the $100 benefit if the hotel management refuses to cough it up, claiming (stonewalling) that they are in compliance from their point of view?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by itravelalot
It is very easy for a hotel to blame distant corporate for their cheapness. But yes, there have been some reports of previously generous properties not going over the brand minimum.
Or less than the brand minimum, in some cases.

This wasn't compliant. Per the terms and conditions, you were entitled to 750 points or breakfast for you and one other person in the restaurant. If they failed to offer this, you were further entitled to $100 in compensation.
I agree that the failure to provide lounge access or alternate breakfast at the time of check-in entitles the Plat/Titan/Amb Elite guest to $100 USD compensation. It's a penalty that's supposed to be painful for hotels as an incentive to treat Elite guests properly.

As Sharon noted, "$10 F&B credit or 1k points" is compliant with the Plat/Titan/Amb Elite Welcome Gift — which has nothing to do with breakfast at five brands of Marriott legacy full-service hotels.

Breakfast means lounge access for member + 1. If the lounge is closed or there isn't one, then breakfast is "breakfast in restaurant" for member + 1. Again, this is in addition to the Elite Welcome Gift. (At one Marriott legacy full-service hotel brand, Delta Hotels, it can also be Elite Pantry access.)

When I stay at a Marriott and the lounge is closed, the front desk usually provides vouchers for "continental breakfast" in the restaurant with tax and gratuity included.

In other cases, the restaurant has a list, and no voucher is required.

In both cases, the restaurant usually provides a full buffet, although a few cheapskate properties want $5 to $10 more per person if you dare put a spoonful of scrambled eggs and a sausage patty on your plate.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 28, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
How does one collect the $100 benefit if the hotel management refuses to cough it up, claiming (stonewalling) that they are in compliance from their point of view?
Indeed, it’s an incredibly stupid policy which puts the onus on the customer to have difficult conversations with a property to try to convince them to follow Marriott guidelines. I can’t think of any worse way to design such a guarantee.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
If they refuse you have at least claimed it and can document your claim so corporate Marriott can't say, "Well, you didn't make a claim."

What Marriott desperately needs is a separate hotline or email to report noncompliance that is actually monitored and handled promptly. You shouldn't have to call a reservations/customer service agent and expect them to have the expertise or ability to force a given hotel to comply, if you're still at the hotel.
Horace, C17PSGR and hotelprof like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

What Marriott desperately needs is a separate hotline or email to report noncompliance that is actually monitored and handled promptly. You shouldn't have to call a reservations/customer service agent and expect them to have the expertise or ability to force a given hotel to comply, if you're still at the hotel.
And the ding-dong who came up with the breakfast policy should be assigned to man that line for the rest of his/her life!

(Notice that the Lurkers seem to steer clear of Bonfire breakfast questions. They always answered them on the SPG forum.)
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by margarita girl
And the ding-dong who came up with the breakfast policy should be assigned to man that line for the rest of his/her life!

(Notice that the Lurkers seem to steer clear of Bonfire breakfast questions. They always answered them on the SPG forum.)
I think the implementation of the breakfast benefit is illustrative of the internal divisions within Marriott International between the hotel development division, the division that handles Marriott-managed properties, and the division that oversees the loyalty program (aka Marriott Bonvoy and before that Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards, and SPG). Let's look at how breakfast was described around this time in 2018 when David Flueck launched the combined loyalty program, the benefits of which haven't changed with the rebranding to Bonvoy:

"The breakfast offering for Platinum and Platinum Premier members will be expanded to 23 participating brands, including Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, Protea and Moxy, as well as resorts. For certain brands, members will receive free breakfast or an on-property food and beverage credit for breakfast or other dining options."
(Source: https://marriott.gcs-web.com/news-re...ograms-one-set)
If you read that statement from Marriott's own press release you are right to think you're getting breakfast, not a bagel and coffee.

Then there was the official FAQ, which stated:

"A breakfast offering is new for Courtyard, AC Hotels by Marriott, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels and resorts."
This was supported by a tweet that claimed all Courtyard hotels in North America would have a complimentary buffet for eligible elites:

Of course, the "new" "breakfast offering" turned out to be a $10 voucher at Courtyard that in most cases isn't sufficient to cover coffee and any food item, except maybe yogurt, with tip and tax factored into the $10 limit.
margarita girl and HHQX888 like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
The newly opened AC Hotel in Lima doesn’t offer the $10 F&B credit to Platinum/Titanium/Ambassador Elites and only offered Fruit or Points as they “were a Hotel in Peru”.

This seems to be a denial of benefits within the matrix for the Welcome amenity.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
The new Bonvoy does not offer any consistency in benefits. This April I have booked a room for 1 night in 4Points Orlando Convention Center - a recently rebranded Hawthorn suites. As Titanium Elite I was upgraded to a suite and offered 4 pm checkout but this is where my luck had ended. I was asked multiple time about breakfast only to hear that the hotel doesn't provide breakfast but I can choose one instead of points. But I have booked a rate with breakfast! No, hotel doesn't offer breakfast. After going a couple times through this, I have talked to a manager and received a coupon for two breakfasts. In the morning, I was wisely advised to get two breakfasts to go. Those included:
1) A paper cup (size similar to AAdmirals' club soup cups) filled with cut melons and cantaloupes;
2) Three triangle (nice tough!) pieces of toasted plain bread
3) One extra sweet mini muffin and another sugary pastry of minuscule size; both were at least 3 days old
4) Three pieces of prepackaged butter to go with the bread.
And nothing else. This was an insult but not breakfast. Truly the worst I have ever had for long long time.
Coffee was free in the lobby to help myself.
I assume that Elite members who choose breakfast instead of points are not treated better.

Last edited by Alex_I; Apr 28, 2019 at 7:37 pm Reason: typo
Old Apr 28, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
There are three different issues as play here:

1. Complexity of the Platinum Elite breakfast benefit program.

If the folks in charge at Marriott Bonvoy could have their way, there would probably just be three categories, modeled have how SPG did it: (i) breakfast in the restaurant as a Platinum Elite and higher Welcome Gift choice, as at most SPG brands; (ii) breakfast for nobody, as at Design Hotels; and (iii) breakfast for all guests regardless of loyalty program membership or status, as at Element. (There would also be lounge access as a separate benefit, as at Westin).

However, with 7,000 Marriott Bonvoy hotels, almost none of which are owned by Marriott and almost all of which are operating under franchise contracts that pre-date the merger, it's not surprising that breakfast benefits are still more-or-less what they were before the merger (with some improvement at a few brands).

2. Failure of some properties to provide what the Terms & Conditions promise.

When the Terms & Conditions call for "breakfast in the restaurant" at a full-service brand, a breakfast consisting of just a muffin, coffee, and juice is a failure. Vouchers for $10 per day for member + 1, when breakfast actually costs two or three times that amount, is a failure. When a Courtyard in Canada that is supposed to provide vouchers equivalent to $10 USD only provides vouchers for $10 CAD, that's a failure too. Somehow, there are some hotels continue to get away with it, while Marriott looks the other way.

This is inexcusable. It's bad business because it tells Elite members that Marriott says one thing, but does another. It's an insult to Elite members. And it's an insult to all the hotels that do a good job providing the published benefits.

Marriott should enforce Platinum breakfast standards for each brand, with encouragement to add something local or regional at breakfast that goes beyond the minimum.

3. No effective way for members to deal with failures.

As has been asked in this thread, how does one successfully request $100 compensation when a hotel says the breakfast is not a Platinum Elite benefit (at a brand where it is)? When an agent at Marriott Bonvoy Guest Services has never been trained on the Terms & Conditions and assumes the hotel is always right and the guest is always wrong, how does a guest get a failure corrected?

Of these three issues, the complexity is the one we have to live with. It is what it is. But Marriott can fix the other two — if it want wants to.

Last edited by Horace; Apr 28, 2019 at 9:26 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:15 pm

So I went down to the desk today to ask about this prior to heading out for my golf game. Lady at front desk said oh no you shouldn’t have got the $10 coupon you should have gotten this! It’s a Marriott corporate card for Platinums and Titanium’s she said - she gave it to me and it said complimentary continental breakfast which is the same thing here as the $10. Continental was $10 and absolutely minuscule! Literally a tiny, tiny bowl of small cut up fruit and one pastry!
I showed her the T&C’s and such and she said the coupons they have, came directly from Marriott corporate.
I was miffed so she said let me go get the Manager..... she came back out and said the Manager is going to call corporate and we will let you know when you get back. Manager wouldn’t even come out?!?
Well, of course they didn’t let me know.

.... I don’t even know anymore if I’m right because nobody seems to know.

Nonetheless like I said, I can’t wait to check out of here on Tuesday. Then I’m heading over to the Westin which I seen today they have gates up in the parking lot now.....$17.00 a day to park now along with their $32.00 a day amenity fee! LOL.

Oh.... I’m going to have sweet dreams of the old SPG life tonight.... although this AC in the room will probably keep me up all night.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Its interesting that Marriott consider its acceptable that their own elites have to ask/beg/more beg the hotel for a benefit that was advertised.

Yet these benefit are given without issue to people who book through other channel (FHR, Virtuoso, etc)
I believe FHR/Virtuoso booking breakfast benefit is not $10 voucher ... or some pastry and juice.
And some hotel even add extra f&b credit too.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kaizen7
I believe FHR/Virtuoso booking breakfast benefit is not $10 voucher ... or some pastry and juice.
And some hotel even add extra f&b credit too.
At most properties it's full breakfast plus $100 credit.

You can still get Marriott credit so long as you don't opt for the 5x points prepaid.

In many cases, better benefits than what Marriott status gives.
EuropeanPete and kaizen7 like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Did you say ding dong? Marriott does all they can to write vague and easily to misinterpret clauses in their benefits (thinking of late checkout.) Its their MO.
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by Alex_I
The new Bonvoy does not offer any consistency in benefits. This April I have booked a room for 1 night in 4Points Orlando Convention Center - a recently rebranded Hawthorn suites. As Titanium Elite I was upgraded to a suite and offered 4 pm checkout but this is where my luck had ended. I was asked multiple time about breakfast only to hear that the hotel doesn't provide breakfast but I can choose one instead of points. But I have booked a rate with breakfast! No, hotel doesn't offer breakfast. After going a couple times through this, I have talked to a manager and received a coupon for two breakfasts. In the morning, I was wisely advised to get two breakfasts to go. Those included:
1) A paper cup (size similar to AAdmirals' club soup cups) filled with cut melons and cantaloupes;
2) Three triangle (nice tough!) pieces of toasted plain bread
3) One extra sweet mini muffin and another sugary pastry of minuscule size; both were at least 3 days old
4) Three pieces of prepackaged butter to go with the bread.
And nothing else. This was an insult but not breakfast. Truly the worst I have ever had for long long time.
Coffee was free in the lobby to help myself.
I assume that Elite members who choose breakfast instead of points are not treated better.
This experience is literally a shame and an outrage to loyal customers, and Corporate should investigate.

​​​Luckily, here in Europe I NEVER had such an experience, since - till today - I never found an hotel that doesn't offer real buffet breakfast to whom are entitled, including Plat (never heard of different and cheap alternatives).

I am just wondering why do they behave like that: do they prefer save 5 $ in food items and, at the same time, LOSE the guest forever?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GoldenItalianBoy

I am just wondering why do they behave like that: do they prefer save 5 $ in food items and, at the same time, LOSE the guest forever?
I think, in my opinion, you are seeing hotels waging a somewhat strike against Marriott corporate - there are certain hotels who clearly don't want guests out for free breakfasts nor want bookings on points - I suspect they want a better reimbursement policy. They are striking back hard and Marriott can't really do much about it else it loses the mgmt fees.

Hotels, like Airlines, are also practically printing money - they lose you forever, someone else takes your place.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.