Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Michele Foley

I have thought about complaining, but does anything in Marriott T&C support this? While toast, fruit, and coffee is a pretty sad idea of breakfast — especially compared to other properties – is it arguably breakfast?

I guess what I’m asking is whether or not anyone knows of language in the benefit that I can use to support my claim. Or is it just defined as “breakfast” without any details on what that means.
It's defined as breakfast in the restaurant.

Only non-resorts, where there has to be a lounge, could argue a continental breakfast is compliant because Marriott requires a hotel with a lounge to serve at the minimum a continental breakfast. But this is a separate provision of the terms and conditions related to a separate breakfast benefit. The resort breakfast is not in lieu of a lounge breakfast.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Horace
Earlier in this thread, I wrote that a reasonable person would read "breakfast in restaurant" at a 4-star, 4 1/2-star, or 5-star hotel to mean the kind of breakfast that guests at such a hotel would typically eat in the hotel's breakfast restaurant. It could be breakfast from the menu. It could be a breakfast buffet. It could be a choice of either.

As someone pointed out, the one hotel in Mexico serves a "continental breakfast" that isn't even on the menu to order. I think this is also part of a complaint. The breakfast at resorts, which is part of the arrival welcome gift benefit (whatever that is officially called), is required to be a breakfast in the restaurant. It has nothing to do with the lounge benefit, which admittedly is a "continental" breakfast. Marriott and its hotels need to read the provision of the terms that actually deals with resorts. It does not mention "continental" at all. I'm willing to bet that most of these resorts not complying with the breakfast benefit aren't complying with the requirement to provide an alternative amenity if the resort fee includes internet access. How many people on here are raising this issue as well? Few I bet.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Lounges are almost always offering something better than a continental breakfast with eggs and a protein. One would think the cost of providing breakfast is lower than in the US so there's no need to skimp.

That being said, I've been at a couple of W's this month (Union Square, Miami Brickell, Miami Beach). Union Square provided room service with a muffin basket and coffee. Miami Beach provided room service with a muffin basket, yogurt, and coffee. Miami Brickell provided three choices on a Platinum Breakfast Card: (1) continental (fruit/yogurt/pastries, (2) pancakes and choice of meat, and (3) 2 eggs with meat and potatoes. None allowed a credit toward anything else on the menu.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:47 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I wonder if this is a W-wide move away from offering normal breakfasts? I hope not. I’m lucky to be able to afford the kind of breakfast that I would like on a given day, as is almost anyone who stays at a W. A breakfast “benefit” which just gives me muffins or something else the GM thinks I should have is worthless to me.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I wonder if this is a W-wide move away from offering normal breakfasts? I hope not. I’m lucky to be able to afford the kind of breakfast that I would like on a given day, as is almost anyone who stays at a W. A breakfast “benefit” which just gives me muffins or something else the GM thinks I should have is worthless to me.
Idk

The Scottsdale W used to follow the muffin approach but upgraded to the card like the Miami Brickell. The Miami Brickell used to offer a 16.00 credit toward anything on the menu but shifted to the card.

Not sure whether this is a shift for the W Punta Mita.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 4:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Miami Brickell provided three choices on a Platinum Breakfast Card: (1) continental (fruit/yogurt/pastries, (2) pancakes and choice of meat, and (3) 2 eggs with meat and potatoes. None allowed a credit toward anything else on the menu.
I have less of a complaint with this since it gives you a choice and includes a hot option. If all of the above were on a buffet along with juice, water, coffee and tea then none of us would complain. I doubt all the sex kittens who stay at W and Instagam themselves are eating this breakfast as they like their avocado toast and lattes. However, I would say, "Excuse me. I'm not a platinum. What are your ambassador breakfast options?"

The Miami Brickell used to offer a 16.00 credit toward anything on the menu but shifted to the card.
It does kind of remind of Soviet times or some episode of "Seinfeld."
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:30 am

At the 4 points Las Vegas right now.... a dive bomb it is. I thought 4 points provide breakfast in the restaurant?

I’ll do a separate review on the Master thread but service failure after service failure. Can’t wait to check out.

Anyway, I was given a $10.00 coupon for one breakfast upon check in. I asked, seriously. She said you only get a coupon for ONE breakfast no matter how long you are staying. ( here for 3 nights unfortunately ). I said I’m a Plat and I should have it every morning - I explained to her the T&C’s!!! She gave me 2 more.

Went down for breakfast and it only covers a small bowl of fruit and one pastry!!!! He said anything else I have to pay for???

WTH are we entitled to? Why do I as a customer have to embarrass myself ( so I feel ). I feel cheap and it’s not about the money - it’s the principle! I just left it as is...........

...... This place is a frickin DIVE!!!!
joakgarp and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bravada04
At the 4 points Las Vegas right now.... a dive bomb it is. I thought 4 points provide breakfast in the restaurant?

I’ll do a separate review on the Master thread but service failure after service failure. Can’t wait to check out.

Anyway, I was given a $10.00 coupon for one breakfast upon check in. I asked, seriously. She said you only get a coupon for ONE breakfast no matter how long you are staying. ( here for 3 nights unfortunately ). I said I’m a Plat and I should have it every morning - I explained to her the T&C’s!!! She gave me 2 more.

Went down for breakfast and it only covers a small bowl of fruit and one pastry!!!! He said anything else I have to pay for???

WTH are we entitled to? Why do I as a customer have to embarrass myself ( so I feel ). I feel cheap and it’s not about the money - it’s the principle! I just left it as is...........

...... This place is a frickin DIVE!!!!
Is it the Four Points by Sheraton Las Vegas East Flamingo? At any Four Points, breakfast is not a benefit. Rather, platinums, titaniums, and ambassadors are required to receive a choice at check-in of 500 points, an amenity, or daily breakfast for the guest and one other person. See here:

Breakfast is not a $10 coupon. In my experience, most Four Points by Sheraton hotels have a buffet. Before you leave, you need to ask for the duty manager and invoke the guarantee as I think you can claim the $50 in compensation per 4.3.c. (iii) of the Bonvoy terms and conditions as a voucher for $10 is not breakfast. Even if they refuse to provide compensation, you made a claim and can then follow-up with Marriott, as the terms and conditions require you to make a claim before checkout. You should also register a complaint with corporate Marriott. Does someone have the email addresses? It's like [email protected] or something. Someone has posted it here before. Also, I would TripAdvisor this hotel.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by itravelalot
I have less of a complaint with this since it gives you a choice and includes a hot option. If all of the above were on a buffet along with juice, water, coffee and tea then none of us would complain. I doubt all the sex kittens who stay at W and Instagam themselves are eating this breakfast as they like their avocado toast and lattes. However, I would say, "Excuse me. I'm not a platinum. What are your ambassador breakfast options?"

It does kind of remind of Soviet times or some episode of "Seinfeld."

when I checked in, they told me they had additional options for ambassador but the people in the restaurant didn't seem to know.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Bravada04

Bravada04,

Yes, the "ELITE WELCOME GIFT FOR PLATINUM ELITE MEMBERS AND ABOVE" chart in the Marriott Bonvoy T&Cs shows that the "Elite Welcome Gift" choices at at Four Points and Aloft are "500 Points per Stay or amenity or breakfast in restaurant per day for Member +1."

Breakfast in restaurant. Not an inadequate voucher.

Per day. Not per stay.

When you checked in, you were not provided the the published Welcome Gift choices. Even though you eventually received a voucher for every day, you still did not get a real breakfast in the restaurant. The compensation for that at Four Points and Aloft is $50 USD.

You're still at the hotel. Talk to the manager. Demand the $50 for the Welcome Gift failure. Invoke the Guarantee in the T&Cs. Also discuss the other service shortcomings.

Be prepared to show your knowledge of the applicable Guarantee: https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi
Tanic and C17PSGR like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I am a little concerned one of two things is happening as I have heard a similar line at various hotels both Marriott and ex SPG since August.

Basically that Marriott wants regional compliance on the breakfast offerings so if someone goes to say a W anywhere in Europe they get the same elite offering for breakfast. Or in America it maybe slightly different to the Europe offering but essentially the American ones should all offer the same. This isn't just for W but the Marriott club lounge offerings etc as well.

I have heard this or similar at several places now that have decreased their offerings. I am unsure if it's hotels using it as an excuse to offer less and thus try and increase revenue or they have taken a guide from Marriott and interpreted it incorrectly. I have to say it has lead me to switching some business to Hilton who always seem to offer me as a Diamond breakfast in the lounge or restuarant! Not saying all Hilton do this or wishing to start a debate on Hilton simply illustrating it has had a negative effect on my loyalty and Marriott stays.

Whatever is going on it is starting to feel very cheap by Marriott and and must say when the lounge at Marriott PHL Airport was closed over the weekend the option of $10 F&B credit or 1k points seemed very weak rather than offering me breakfast in the restaurant.

If the lurkers have any information to if there is a policy by Marriott to standardise the offerings it would be good to know as unfortunately in a scenario like this you end up with the lowest common denominator and that's a very poor / insulting offering for breakfast!!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
I am a little concerned one of two things is happening as I have heard a similar line at various hotels both Marriott and ex SPG since August.

Basically that Marriott wants regional compliance on the breakfast offerings so if someone goes to say a W anywhere in Europe they get the same elite offering for breakfast. Or in America it maybe slightly different to the Europe offering but essentially the American ones should all offer the same. This isn't just for W but the Marriott club lounge offerings etc as well.

I have heard this or similar at several places now that have decreased their offerings. I am unsure if it's hotels using it as an excuse to offer less and thus try and increase revenue or they have taken a guide from Marriott and interpreted it incorrectly. I have to say it has lead me to switching some business to Hilton who always seem to offer me as a Diamond breakfast in the lounge or restuarant! Not saying all Hilton do this or wishing to start a debate on Hilton simply illustrating it has had a negative effect on my loyalty and Marriott stays.

Whatever is going on it is starting to feel very cheap by Marriott and and must say when the lounge at Marriott PHL Airport was closed over the weekend the option of $10 F&B credit or 1k points seemed very weak rather than offering me breakfast in the restaurant.

If the lurkers have any information to if there is a policy by Marriott to standardise the offerings it would be good to know as unfortunately in a scenario like this you end up with the lowest common denominator and that's a very poor / insulting offering for breakfast!!
Perhaps but, I stayed at two different W's in Miami last week (Arne ... if you're reading this, I wasn't playing games ... sometimes hotels sell out and you have to change properties or just want to check out different place) and they had different breakfast benefits.,

For Mexico, I am start to get a sense that the hotel owners/operators have decided to get together and cheat. The marginal cost of having a plat guest have the regular breakfast in Mexico is almost certainly less than $1. It's pretty bizarre that a GM would decide to not follow the program to save $1. I've probably spent $2,000 less in Mexico so far this year because I'm irritated that Mexico properties aren't providing program benefits.

For legacy Marriott and Renn non-resort properties in the US, they continue to provide the same breakfasts in the lounges as always, with some exceeding the standard and offering a variety of meats, fish, and cheeses at breakfast. They almost always offer a better breakfast (albeit not in the restaurant for those who care) than legacy SPG properties.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

1. I am unsure if it's hotels using it as an excuse to offer less and thus try and increase revenue or they have taken a guide from Marriott and interpreted it incorrectly.

2. Whatever is going on it is starting to feel very cheap by Marriott and and must say when the lounge at Marriott PHL Airport was closed over the weekend the option of $10 F&B credit or 1k points seemed very weak rather than offering me breakfast in the restaurant.
1. Both are probably true.
2. You could have collected the breakfast guarantee ($100), but it needed to be done before check-out. When the lounge is closed, you're entitled to breakfast in the restaurant or 750 points. There are 14 hotels in the US that are exempt & offer 1,000 points, but the PHL MAR Airport is not on the list. The 1,000 points or $10F&B is the Platinum Arrival Gift options & has nothing to do w/ the breakfast situation, although it's amazing how many FDCs (and some managers) don't realize the 2 are different.

Cheers.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:11 pm
Suspended

I have heard this or similar at several places now that have decreased their offerings. I am unsure if it's hotels using it as an excuse to offer less and thus try and increase revenue or they have taken a guide from Marriott and interpreted it incorrectly.
It is very easy for a hotel to blame distant corporate for their cheapness. But yes, there have been some reports of previously generous properties not going over the brand minimum. On the other hand, there are other hotels still exceeding the minimum. Look at the legacy Starwood hotels in Hawaii that are designated resorts but still maintain complimentary lounges for elite status guests. Of course, they smartly decided it's better to have a lounge, which most people are fine with, than have their restaurants overcrowded with elites eating their "free" breakfast.

This wasn't compliant. Per the terms and conditions, you were entitled to 750 points or breakfast for you and one other person in the restaurant. If they failed to offer this, you were further entitled to $100 in compensation.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
1. Both are probably true.
The 1,000 points or $10F&B is the Platinum Arrival Gift options & has nothing to do w/ the breakfast situation, although it's amazing how many FDCs (and some managers) don't realize the 2 are different.
The same for breakfast as a welcome amenity gift choice at check-in. It's amazing how many people confuse this with the lounge access benefit. This is a prime example of why the original poster should complain about her or his experience at the Philadelphia Marriott. The guest shouldn't have to know the rules. Not only should the hotel know the rules, but the guest should be able to trust that the hotel is fairly and properly delivering benefits based on the rules. It's easy for corporate to say they don't know of this stuff if nobody ever complains. What's Flueck's email again?
Tanic and Horace like this.

Last edited by itravelalot; Apr 28, 2019 at 12:21 pm
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:15 pm
Suspended

For Mexico, I am start to get a sense that the hotel owners/operators have decided to get together and cheat.
I noticed that recently most or all of Marriott's Marriott hotels in Mexico are no longer co-branded CasaMagna. I don't know what that means. Was CasaMagna a local partner for Marriott? What was the significance of the co-branding? But regardless. The JW Marriott in Costa Rica that made headlines here and on the blogs for cheating elites out of upgrades is managed by a third party. I think the same is true for many of Marriott's properties in Mexico. I don't know how many are actually managed by Marriott International. Without corporate managing the property it is more difficult to enforce the standards because someone in corporate's hotel development department may decide they would rather get the revenue from a franchisee and third-party operator than enforce corporate's loyalty program standards. I think this is actually an issue. Loyalty program is a completely separate division from corporate's management and hotel development division. Sometimes loyalty is against the interests of the management division or the hotel development division.

Last edited by itravelalot; Apr 28, 2019 at 12:26 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.