Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: applesauce
Updating for post-covid
STATE, City
Hotel name; Operator: Dates
Details (offered, asked, invoked?)
United States
CA, San Diego
Guild Hotel, Tribute Portfolio: ; 11/21

GA, Atlanta
The Burgess, Tribute Portfolio; ; 07/23
No lounge. No breakfast. Claims exempt as a "boutique" hotel. Did not invoke.

TX, San Antonio
St Anthony Hotel; Operated by BC Lynd (?); 11/22
$15pp but does not include tax or tip. Only found out at checkout.

Mexico

Print Wikipost

Full Service Properties that Don't Comply with the Breakfast Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There is no commonly accepted definition of a continental breakfast in North America. Marriott's standard of a continental breakfast, judging from the lounges, includes at least oatmeal, eggs and some sort of meat, all of which require cooking. But it doesn't matter because we are talking about restaurants, which are supposed to serve eligible elite status guests "breakfast" and not a "continental breakfast."
Exactly!

I don't know why the definition of "continental breakfast" is suddenly an issue here.

The term "continental breakfast" is only mentioned two times in the Bonvoy terms & conditions — once in relation to the "Guaranteed Lounge Access" and once in relation to specific hotels that provide 1000 points in lieu of breakfast because their lounges are closed on weekends.

Otherwise, the term in the Bonvoy term & conditions is "breakfast in restaurant" or "breakfast in the restaurant."

There are two different ways Platinum Elite (and higher) members qualify for breakfast in the hotel restaurant. At specific Marriott-legacy full-service brands (resorts excluded), it's an alternative benefit when the lounge is closed or there is no lounge. In other cases (primarily SPG-legacy properties, but also some Marriott-legacy resorts), daily breakfast in the restaurant is a Platinum Elite Welcome Gift option.

Again, it's breakfast in the restaurant, not "continental breakfast" in the restaurant. Most properties comply with the terms & conditions.

Why does anyone defend a property that provides only a muffin, juice, and a cup of coffee to a Platinum Elite (or higher) guest? Or that provides only a $12 credit where a restaurant breakfast actually costs twice that amount?

Yes, technically, even a Belvita Breakfast Biscuit and a paper cup of coffee could be called breakfast. But that's not what guests at 4-star and 5-star hotels eat in hotel restaurants at breakfast time.

Last edited by Horace; Mar 28, 2019 at 8:37 am
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:38 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Let's add the Autograph Collection hotel The Draftsman in Charllotsville, VA to the list. They won't give you free breakfast, they aren't excluded and the only option they'll give is 750 pts a night.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jfulcher
Let's add the Autograph Collection hotel The Draftsman in Charllotsville, VA to the list. They won't give you free breakfast, they aren't excluded and the only option they'll give is 750 pts a night.
Did you invoke this?

Pursuant to section 4.1.c., if Lounge Access (or alternatives or exceptions as outlined above) is not available, Platinum Elite Members will be compensated $100 U.S. dollars for the inconvenience. Participating Properties outside the United States will pay the equivalent in local currency. This guarantee is offered at the following brands: JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection Hotels and Renaissance Hotels.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Just reminding folks, who may later recall this thread with regard to a U. S. Delta non-resort stay, that technically Delta "pantry" hotels are in compliance, not required to provide restaurant food.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Just reminding folks, who may later recall this thread with regard to a U. S. Delta non-resort stay, that technically Delta "pantry" hotels are in compliance, not required to provide restaurant food.
If they have breakfast food in it.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:47 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Did you invoke this?
No because I didn't know of that while I was in stay. I escalated the issue to the lurkers though and another team at Marriott called the hotel who then lied and said I chose that option. Yet all my coworkers that are Plat/Tit have never been offered breakfast either.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jfulcher
No because I didn't know of that while I was in stay. I escalated the issue to the lurkers though and another team at Marriott called the hotel who then lied and said I chose that option. Yet all my coworkers that are Plat/Tit have never been offered breakfast either.
I hope you TripAdvisor review the property and also post about it here:

The Draftsman, Autograph Collection - Charlottesville, VA [Master Thread]
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Horace
Exactly!

I don't know why the definition of "continental breakfast" is suddenly an issue here.

The term "continental breakfast" is only mentioned two times in the Bonvoy terms & conditions — once in relation to the "Guaranteed Lounge Access" and once in relation to specific hotels that provide 1000 points in lieu of breakfast because their lounges are closed on weekends.

Otherwise, the term in the Bonvoy term & conditions is "breakfast in restaurant" or "breakfast in the restaurant."

There are two different ways Platinum Elite (and higher) members qualify for breakfast in the hotel restaurant. At specific Marriott-legacy full-service brands (resorts excluded), it's an alternative benefit when the lounge is closed or there is no lounge. In other cases (primarily SPG-legacy properties, but also some Marriott-legacy resorts), daily breakfast in the restaurant is a Platinum Elite Welcome Gift option.

Again, it's breakfast in the restaurant, not "continental breakfast" in the restaurant. Most properties comply with the terms & conditions.

Why does anyone defend a property that provides only a muffin, juice, and a cup of coffee to a Platinum Elite (or higher) guest? Or that provides only a $12 credit where a restaurant breakfast actually costs twice that amount?

Yes, technically, even a Belvita Breakfast Biscuit and a paper cup of coffee could be called breakfast. But that's not what guests at 4-star and 5-star hotels eat in hotel restaurants at breakfast time.
+1

And while continental breakfasts on the continent may not have hot foods, it almost universally includes fresh fruit as well as a variety of meats and cheeses. It is not a muffin, coffee, and juice.
Horace, Twickenham and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Gold; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
How did they handle it if you wanted a hot breakfast? Would you receive a credit or upcharge toward other breakfast options?
You could upgrade to the full buffet for $20 (if I remember the math correctly, they wanted $15 for the continental they gave us and $33 for the full buffet).
Old Apr 27, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
No full breakfast at W Punta Mita

At the W Punta Mita, the breakfast amenity is coffee, juice, fresh fruit plate, and toast OR a pastry. If you pay an upgrade fee of $30, you and a guest will be upgraded to the AYCE breakfast buffet. Pretty disappointing.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Michele Foley
At the W Punta Mita, the breakfast amenity is coffee, juice, fresh fruit plate, and toast OR a pastry. If you pay an upgrade fee of $30, you and a guest will be upgraded to the AYCE breakfast buffet. Pretty disappointing.
Complaint to Marriott and the general manager. And TripAdvisor it.
C17PSGR and RoyalFlush like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm getting a sense that all the operators of the resorts in Mexico have decided to cheat on the benefit ....

Agreed, tripadvisor and specifically reference that they don't comply with the Platinum Breakfast Benefit.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond; Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by itravelalot
Complaint to Marriott and the general manager. And TripAdvisor it.
I have thought about complaining, but does anything in Marriott T&C support this? While toast, fruit, and coffee is a pretty sad idea of breakfast — especially compared to other properties – is it arguably breakfast?

I guess what I’m asking is whether or not anyone knows of language in the benefit that I can use to support my claim. Or is it just defined as “breakfast” without any details on what that means.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Or is it just defined as “breakfast” without any details on what that means.
It's just defined as breakfast without any details, which causes confusion amongst both elites & properties and, in some cases, properties doing the minimum they can (more so at some resorts in MEX).

Cheers.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I have thought about complaining, but does anything in Marriott T&C support this? While toast, fruit, and coffee is a pretty sad idea of breakfast — especially compared to other properties – is it arguably breakfast?

I guess what I’m asking is whether or not anyone knows of language in the benefit that I can use to support my claim. Or is it just defined as “breakfast” without any details on what that means.
The Marriott Bonvoy Terms & Conditions document at https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi just uses the phrase "breakfast in restaurant," without identifying specific food items. It also does not say "continental breakfast" or "cold breakfast" or "minimal breakfast."

Earlier in this thread, I wrote that a reasonable person would read "breakfast in restaurant" at a 4-star, 4 1/2-star, or 5-star hotel to mean the kind of breakfast that guests at such a hotel would typically eat in the hotel's breakfast restaurant. It could be breakfast from the menu. It could be a breakfast buffet. It could be a choice of either.

I supposed a hotel manager could claim that a packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast mixed into a glass of water in the restaurant qualifies as "breakfast in restaurant." But that would be ridiculous. And toast and coffee as "breakfast in restaurant" at a "Premium" or "Luxury" hotel is only slightly less ridiculous.

A complaint is justified.
dgreen12 and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.